Racetronix Fuel Pump Issue

VADR

Hey everyone, I bought the 255LPH fuel pump sender kit and the Racetronix hotwire harness probably a little less than 2 years ago. Put approximately 500 miles on it before I parked the car and stripped and rebuilt the entire interior. Got it back together last summer and drove it another 100 miles or so before I couldn't get it started. Had zero fuel pressure. Towed it home and haven't had time to touch the car until this weekend. So I dropped the tank, pulled the fuel line, submerged the assembly and fed power to the pump. Not a drop comes out the fuel line.

I had drained the fuel tank prior to starting the interior restoration, so there was no old fuel sitting in there to cause problems. After the interior went back together I did switch over to E85, but the kit is E85 compatible so I don't attribute that to any kind of cause of failure.

Has anyone seen a Racetronix pump fail after so few miles? I was kinda shocked since this pump was working perfect right up until it failed. It still powers on and I can hear it hum, but it simply won't feed fuel at all. Isolating the pump for my test eliminated every other possibility of plugged fuel filters, lines, etc.

At this point I'm not sure if I want to go with the replacement Racetronix pump, or switch it with a Walbro or something else. Anyone have recommendations?

I was told if the car sits to not drain the fuel until day of ready to start it up again. Day of rdy to start drain old fuel and have a 5 gallon jug ready to refill right away.

My car sat for 20 years with fuel in it. Day of rdy to start I changed the fuel filter, had injectors cleaned already reinstalled, new o ring for the regulator n feed n return lines, drained old fuel and poured in 5 fresh gallons of 91. My old 340 pump still worked.

At least pumps are crazy expensive.

Chuck is there any solution he could soak the pump in and maybe dissolve any crap that's in there??

Hey everyone, I bought the 255LPH fuel pump sender kit and the Racetronix hotwire harness probably a little less than 2 years ago. Put approximately 500 miles on it before I parked the car and stripped and rebuilt the entire interior. Got it back together last summer and drove it another 100 miles or so before I couldn't get it started. Had zero fuel pressure. Towed it home and haven't had time to touch the car until this weekend. So I dropped the tank, pulled the fuel line, submerged the assembly and fed power to the pump. Not a drop comes out the fuel line.

I had drained the fuel tank prior to starting the interior restoration, so there was no old fuel sitting in there to cause problems. After the interior went back together I did switch over to E85, but the kit is E85 compatible so I don't attribute that to any kind of cause of failure.

Has anyone seen a Racetronix pump fail after so few miles? I was kinda shocked since this pump was working perfect right up until it failed. It still powers on and I can hear it hum, but it simply won't feed fuel at all. Isolating the pump for my test eliminated every other possibility of plugged fuel filters, lines, etc.

At this point I'm not sure if I want to go with the replacement Racetronix pump, or switch it with a Walbro or something else. Anyone have recommendations?
Yes seen many fail.
From single to double pumpers.
And everybody has their theories as to why a pump with so few miles can just take a shit or drop off pressure,but in reality I think the pumps are not ethanol compatible personally.
To me they are wear/matinence items and some of this junk wont last as long as an oil change.
I have seen the better more high dollar pumps live a hell of alot longer and have seen no failure on some of the newer style high end pumps like (brushless spur)after several years and lots of miles in e85.
If you want to run 150$ pumps you will just have to stay on top of them

Chuck is there any solution he could soak the pump in and maybe dissolve any crap that's in there??
Nope. The corrosion is there for good.
Once it eats the surfaces, the pump is junk.
Should it start to work, it would likely be noisy.
As a point of interest:
My bud has been a small engine guy for 60 yrs.
Draining gas in your mower is a death sentence for the carb. He has cut away examples on his counter for the customers to see.
Furthermore, some engine mfgrs call for gas to be limited to 30 days old to be used in a small engine.
Some of the injs I see have a donut of residue on the top of the inlet. Some comes off, and some has eaten the finish off of the inlet.
As mentioned, a pump is cheap enough.

I put a new pump in my car at the start of every race season...for a reason. Two things. It's a 2 beer job and it's cheaper than head gaskets. Mr Spool made a good point. It's a maintenance item. Remember the Fram commercial. You can pay me now...or you can pay me later. Something that always kills me. Guys will spend a gazzillion dollars on cool guy parts...but won't spend the bucks on the most important part to keep their engines alive.

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is honestly the first time I've heard of issues draining a fuel tank, but noted for the future. I'll pop in the new pump when it arrives and go from there.

Almost done with the restoration. Finally got my last few door parts so I can put that back together. It's going to be a brand new car when it's all said and done. Ready to put a few more miles on it this summer.

Yes seen many fail.
From single to double pumpers.
And everybody has their theories as to why a pump with so few miles can just take a shit or drop off pressure,but in reality I think the pumps are not ethanol compatible personally.
To me they are wear/matinence items and some of this junk wont last as long as an oil change.
I have seen the better more high dollar pumps live a hell of alot longer and have seen no failure on some of the newer style high end pumps like (brushless spur)after several years and lots of miles in e85.
If you want to run 150$ pumps you will just have to stay on top of them
What high dollar pump would you recommend for a 93 ALKY Street Car.I’ve had a Walbro 340 in there for about 6 years works fine according to my hood mounted fuel pressure gauge but maybe I should change it.It’s Racetronix Walbro or Deutshworks all for a few $100 dollars that I know most use if there’s something better I will buy it.

I've heard good things about DW brushless pumps. When it's time for an upgrade that will be the one.

Also heard good things about hellcat 520 pump.

What high dollar pump would you recommend for a 93 ALKY Street Car.I’ve had a Walbro 340 in there for about 6 years works fine according to my hood mounted fuel pressure gauge but maybe I should change it.It’s Racetronix Walbro or Deutshworks all for a few $100 dollars that I know most use if there’s something better I will buy it.
Walboro at 6 years at what pressures?

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is honestly the first time I've heard of issues draining a fuel tank, but noted for the future. I'll pop in the new pump when it arrives and go from there.

Almost done with the restoration. Finally got my last few door parts so I can put that back together. It's going to be a brand new car when it's all said and done. Ready to put a few more miles on it this summer.

The DW pumps have a round base. The hanger can be trimmed with a tin snips or a die grinder.
I made the hole large enough for the grommet, it has to be stretched a little to go from oval to round.
Just so you what your getting into if you change brands.
I made a new bottom plate when I went to a double pumper.

7B2FAD08-C11E-4DEA-8DAC-2122F259D63C.jpeg

274D9CD6-6127-4F4F-875E-40A7476FAA04.jpeg

Seems like it’s working like it’s supposed to at at 25 pounds of boost I am seeing 65 psi of fuel pressure on the hood gauge.

42 line off
Look at it 1to1
Most tt chips want to be 43psi.
And the e85 cars want higher pressures like 50 or more.
So 43 and 30psi your looking at 73psi and if your an e85 car that wants to run 30psi your 80psi.
Even if pumps were falling off I would see mid 60s
It's when it needed more pressure you found out,sometimes the hard way.
As you have alky and your base pressure is low and your only running 25psi you may not see an issue.
It's what the motor needs to satisfy

And to add to potential issues the regulators lots of guys run are rated to 78psi max.

And to add to potential issues the regulators lots of guys run are rated to 78psi max.
I just looked at the Turbosmart FPR2000 I am putting on my car and even that one is only rated to 80psi.