Scan Master or Turbo Link???

badcbr

Ok, being the new member and reading the responses to my first post, the scan master seems to be the must have...

So, I'm good with getting that but after doing some research on past posts, they said the scan master is just for stock ecm's, what happens if you change?

Is Turbo Link the better option or do I just stay with the scan master?

Thanks

I prefer DirectScan for a maximum amount of data(up to 18f/s) and a knock gauge for when the laptop isn't in the car but thats just me. And the knock gauge gives instant feedback not ecm filtered and bus delayed feedback(Scanmaster).

IMO w/ turbolink or DS you still need a knock gauge for when the laptop isn't in the car....you can't afford to tune the car near the limit then review for knock later on the laptop and see you should've let off.

Scanmaster is very popular as its always there and allows you to review a couple data points after a WOT run.

Turbolink as you said works with other vehicles(bonus if you have any of them) but you won't be changing to a different ecm in your car unless you get into some 'serious' coding/wiring and adapt a newer ecm to the car.

Here's a compare table for you to ponder:
http://www.turbo-link.com/tlink/scanchart.html

HTH

I'm usin the turbo link. Its a nice lil toy. It depends on what you want. Use the comparison link that Boost posted. Just look at the pros and cons and tailor them to your individual needs.

Ok, so this kind of goes back to my original queston then, since it's a stock chip, obviously I want to change that but they said to get a scan master first.

Again, I'm good with that but it doesn't sound like it's scablable as I start to make the mods, am I understanding this correctly?

Thx

I have the ScanMaster and it is a great guage/tool - almost a must have. It's always there and you can constantly read it while driving. I am looking at getting either T-link or direct scan IN ADDITION to the SM to aid in track tuning.

it depends on how far you're going to go with the car. with the scanmasters its completely standalone, a couple wires and mount it on your dash. you can wire it up to plug into your cigarette lighter so you can remove it and put it in another car. it will record max o2 mv and knock retard on a run and its good to check up on your other engine parameters if you need to adjust your iac and tps or just want to see what your coolant temp or something is doing.

with the turbo link you have a lot bigger investment in that you'll need a laptop and the software. but it adds more flexibility to use it on other cars in the future and you can datalog whatever you do.

for me i have a scanmaster, then i'm going to install a plx wideband box, i have a caspers knock gauge and boost gauge on the a-pillar and i'm happy. my car is going to be a daily driver and it'll probably only see a couple initial drag strip runs to set the tune. i know the combo i'm going to run and almost all my parts are already purchased.

if you're going to drag race the car a lot and mess with various mods i'd go with the turbolink. it will allow you really tune the car.

Originally posted by badcbr
Ok, so this kind of goes back to my original queston then, since it's a stock chip, obviously I want to change that but they said to get a scan master first.

Again, I'm good with that but it doesn't sound like it's scablable as I start to make the mods, am I understanding this correctly?

Thx

Yes it's scalable. The post you probably read was related to an aftermarket FAST setup which replaces the whole factory ECM etc. The Scanmaster will work with any chips or upgrades you do up until the point your car is running low 10's and you want to go with a FAST setup (which again, replaces your whole factory ECM not just the chip)

Turbolink and Directscan are in the same boat, if you upgraded to a FAST they wouldn't work either.

Hope that answers your question.

So, if I'm reading this correctly and when I did some research a few months ago, having a scan master and a Turbo Link is probably the way to go. As I do intend on drag racing once or twice a month and playing around but I do want to keep it a reliable street car. There's some obvious ways to quicken it up without getting drastic, just making better the short comings of GM, correct???

Here's another stupid question, motor oil, any suggestions? This is my first Turbo car and I haven't seen much about what people are using, wether they've moved to synthetic or stayed with ???

Thx

Scanmaster is almost a must for a daily driver. Turbolink (or equivalent) is better for track and logging. Directscan is better for the more frequent racer. I have a scanmaster and WINALDL (free software, you make the aldl plug).

The oil question is and will be a never-ending debate. I use 10w-30 and the car has 190k miles (as far as I know).

If you buy turbo link dont buy a ibm lap top
or be sure if t-link work very well ( in the car at idle )
before buy a ibm

IMO

Claude