Motor went Boom!!! What happened?

V8killR4U

Ok so every told me you run 25 lbs of boost on alchy with 26* timing and your gonna blow a headgasket. Well tonite Im not sure if that happened or not. Well I was tuning my car to goto the track tomorrow 25lbs of boost 26* timing I was trying to dial in 27 lbs for the track tomorrow. Well 1st low alchy light came on. I figured ok enough for one last blast to dial in the boost. WOT throttle 25 lbs no knock looking for 27 lbs. Didnt happen. Only goto 25 lbs. Though prior to that it went to 30 a few times but never saw any knock on the scan master as i got out of real quick.

Well I exit off the highway and I can see knock on the scan master any where from 1-12 and on up. I was on the throttle but everytime i put a load on the car or slight acceleration it would show knock on the scanmaster. Ok im off the offramp and I can hear what sounds like a rattle or what might be described as some type of knocking literally. It sounding like something was knocking in the motor. I have my eye on the temp guage and temp read pretty normal 175-185 range. Which I thought was about right for the torture and the several blast i just put the car through. Oil pressure looked ok as well. Well I limped the car home 8-10 miles or so and while driving it seemed the car slightly knock under idle at the light but of course the more load or acceleration you put on the car the louder this knocking sound got. My first thought was a blown head gasket, but the car was leaking anything nor was it smoking. I was thinking maybe or hopefully it was just something loose under the valve cover whic i have yet to take off and see cuz i dont have garage or any good light. Looked under the hood and didnt see any leakage of any kind? Turned the car off and started back uo with no problem besides the strange knocking sound coming from the driver side. Kinda sounded like something was loose in the motor or under the valve covers. Im not sure what it is?

If you good folks would care to share your thought or educated guesses on what it might be so i know where to start tomorrow that would be great. I honestly dont think its a HG but i could be wrong. Sorry bout the long post but i felt the better the description the easier it would be to diagnose. Thanks:(

Sorry

Welcome to my world. I am getting ready to put new bearings in the buick. It sounds as if you have spun at least one of yours.

So how much am i looking at spending to fix the problem if someone else fixes it and how much if i do it. Can you guys enlightin me cost, labor involved, difficulty level, gotta put the engine. My season is over isnt it :O(
GOT DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aint this bout a BIT$H

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Fun's over and the work begins. ;)
:mad: :(
:mad:

yep bearings, had it happen to me 2 months ago at the track.
blew head gasket on #1 and #6. there was water in the oil. so it wiped the bearing. i had my whole engine build for 3500 thats head work fully ported and bigger vlves with arp's all around, a cam, ported intake, je's, etc.:p

i also took the engine out and intalled it also. at first it looks intimidating but once you get started you just can't stop.:D i had fun doing it, but did not have fun spending the money. hopefully this new one will hold up to low to mid 10's:confused: hmmm....i hope?!

Not for nothing, But i think 26* timing is way out of line for alchy.especially on a stock block car. I was told not to attmept it on pure race fuel, Alchy helps, but it is not a replacement for race fuel with the boost and timing you are running, Guarentee the tops of the rod bearings are toast, well at this point all the bearings probably are

So again what exactly am i getting into if I try to do the repairs myself? Labor time whats envolved, machine work, cost.
I heard 3500 but I think that involved another build up. CAm, heads etc. How much to get the bearing job done.
Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
Not for nothing, But i think 26* timing is way out of line for alchy.especially on a stock block car. I was told not to attmept it on pure race fuel, Alchy helps, but it is not a replacement for race fuel with the boost and timing you are running, Guarentee the tops of the rod bearings are toast, well at this point all the bearings probably are

IF it is the bearings, you may need a crank or possibly have yours turned,If you have never rebuilt a motor before,this may not be the one to learn on.You should be able to get it rebuiilt cheaper the 3500 though. If ytou can wait and ship it to CT call Bobby at RPE machine, He specializes in these motors and just did my buddies complete rebuild including freshening heads and asembly for around 2200 i believe. His number is 860-953-1342.
He has been building my motors for around 12 years now,never had a problem, HE also does Jack Cottons,and a bunch of other fast cars that hang out here also.There are also a few buick engine guys closer to you also to check out.

they are probably right but there are a few other things to check. Pull the valve cover off and check for anything broken, rocker arms, valve springs etc. Check the easy stuff first, especially if it sounds like its coming from the valve cover more than the bottom of the motor

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
they are probably right but there are a few other things to check. Pull the valve cover off and check for anything broken, rocker arms, valve springs etc. Check the easy stuff first, especially if it sounds like its coming from the valve cover more than the bottom of the motor

yep! may not be too bad

I had new bearings and rings put in for under $900. I had a bad bearing on a rod, a lower one. sounded like a bad knock, like metal in a clothes dryer. You might as well rebuild the whole motor. Check harmonic balancer for crack. Also check the turbo for excessive play. I trashed a turbo at the same time. Metal from one ruined the other. Don't know what went first. Sorry to hear your problem.

Scott

If you have the facilities, just rebuild it yourself. If you were satisfied with your car's performance, you can get away with under $1000 in parts and labor. There's cranks available in parts or have yours machined by somebody competent. Rings, bearings, and gaskets will cost under $250.

All the information you need is here on this forum. Instant help and advice from those who have done this many times. ;)

Hold On Just a Minute

Before everyone gives him the kiss of death, it might be something simple. I wasn't running ungodly amounts of timing but something similar happened to me. Turned out to be broken rocker shaft. The scanmaster was showing like 19* of knock at 10 miles an hour. Car ran like crap and there was an awful knock that sounded like rod. The reason I mention this is because he said he never lost oil pressure, wasn't smoking (likely rule out headgasket). Hopefully your in the same boat I was.

Jonathan

Well later this eveningf im gonna check under the valve covers and see whats there or not there. LOL So you say this might not be the motor I try rebuild myself any reason why? Just curious. I got another motor TSM motor that I have on the side line, but wasnt planning to put it in until i hit the number with this one. Guess thats not gonna happen huh. So this obviously requires pulling the motor am i correct.

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
IF it is the bearings, you may need a crank or possibly have yours turned,If you have never rebuilt a motor before,this may not be the one to learn on.You should be able to get it rebuiilt cheaper the 3500 though. If ytou can wait and ship it to CT call Bobby at RPE machine, He specializes in these motors and just did my buddies complete rebuild including freshening heads and asembly for around 2200 i believe. His number is 860-953-1342.
He has been building my motors for around 12 years now,never had a problem, HE also does Jack Cottons,and a bunch of other fast cars that hang out here also.There are also a few buick engine guys closer to you also to check out.

too much timing and wayyyyyyyyy too much boost for alky alone to handle. good luck i hope is something simple.

WEll I was running the car for a few years like that. Timing that is and high boost 25lbs 26 degree no knock. Oh well back tot he drawing board
Originally posted by wiked87gn
too much timing and wayyyyyyyyy too much boost for alky alone to handle. good luck i hope is something simple.
:cool: