Help w/ Code 42 - EST Monitor

basherbob

I have read other posts on this subject and am still in a quandry about my situation.

The code 42 appears after highway running. Usually after I come off the exit to a stop, It usually codes as I am sitting waiting for the light to change. It will also come on after running hard, high acceleration mode and usually does not appear during normal 'around town' driving.

Does this error say my ignition module is going bad? Could this be dirty connections or a bad wire, as per the other post It seems to be getting more frequent. Another thing, the service engine light used to go off after a few seconds but is starting to stay on longer, until restart.

I can't see any other strange readings on my direct scan. Even when it codes there are really no others indicators. I do get a 0 o2 reading after revving the engine for a seconds as it drops to idle but it picks right back up.

Have the Casper heated o2, cold air intake, 009s, and using direct scan. Other than that basically stock under the hood.

Any ideas?

Code 42 is a pain!! Anyhow, check the white wire and tan w/black wire for any signs of damage/shorting. If ok, check connections of the wire harness to the coil pack module. If ok, change the module and to be safe, change the coil pack as well.
I just had this problem and this is what I had to go thru to fix it.

Thanks for the info. You are right this has turned into one of those gremlin Pain in A.. things. I hate electrical problems

Dumb ?...where are the white and tan w/black wires located. Under the coil pack module at the back of the motor?

Thanks again...

White wire is the 1st on the right side of the module. Tan/black is around there as well. Check white wire for ohms from module to computer.

Got it...Wires check out ok. Is there any recommended module upgrade or just go with a stock replacement?

check all your grounds especially on the back of the passengerside head, i had that code, and it loosened enough to strand me for a few minutes. Put a wrench on it and make sure its tight

Like JDS added, check the grounds in the back of the pass. head. I relocated mine to the intake to keep a track on them. Stick with AC Delco parts. I tried the cheap way and got a no fire up situation.

I like the idea of relocating the ground. Also need to clean the the wiring connectors with tuner cleaner. The brake pedal is starting to 'tap' on my foot again. And was looking into the Casper ground kit.

My old GS is so much easier.... :D

Thanks again to all.
Bob..................

Thought I would update you all, since I like to see thread outcomes when I search for info.

Cleaned all electrical connections, with CRC cleaner and verified/cleaned ground on back of engine. Coded next day :(

Found another thread on code 42. Unplugged the DS connection from ECM. Also removed plastic shield on Ign module plug and wiggled wires and pushed white-tan/black wires into connector. Wires still look and feel new, soft and no external wear.

Has not coded for 2 days. SOOO the ? is what did it...DS ribbon electrical interference (as per the other post), DS connection at ECM, or playing with ign plug wires.

Right now I don't really care since the care runs great again...for now. :D

Thanks for all the great ideas.