i think my car went crazy all of a sudden

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
Well, I don’t know whets going on here, but this is what my car is doing:

1. the speedometer quit working while on my way home from getting gas (ha, maybe I got bad gas... that could sound wrong) but the Speedo quit working, but the odometer kept working, so I figured it had to be something in the dash, then the next mourning it (the odometer) quit working too. So I guess I am going to need a new gear in my tranny?

2. car is idling really high, ~1000 on scan master, +/- 50 rpm's I don’t know why, IAC is a little high, not to high, but it sits around 42 @ idle, and TPS is .46 @ idle.. I know those numbers are a little high, but not to bad....

3. Scan master is going nuts with knock. I am not in boost, just cruising down the highway and the knock counts on scan master go crazy. I see numbers ranging from 0.7 all the way to 20+ of KR; I am not in boost, just cruising around. I have no idea what this is about.... maybe a bad ground somewhere... this started around the same time that my Speedo died.

4. on the highway, my car seems to be running a little then higher RPM's, around, well hell, my speedo doesn’t work, so I don’t know, maybe 65-70ish, I seem to be right around 2000rpms +/- 100rpms, I just don’t ever remember them being that high, it almost feels that the torque converter isn’t locking up, I tried flipping my manual lock-up switch, but seems that nothing happened. Maybe a bad solenoid? Btw, if it matters I have 255/60/15's on the back.

Why does everything seem to happen at once?

Thanks for any input, much appreciated.

Originally posted by screwdriver
Is there any poping comming from the rear when you turn or at all?

i dont understand?

and no, scan master does not read speed.

another thing that it does in the mourning, which i am hoping does not mean i have a blown head gasket or anything, is that when it first fires up in the mourning it seems that a bunch of soot comes out of the driver side tale pipe, a lot more then the passenger side one, and it smells kinda funky and there is a little bit of smoke with it too.

Your speedo line goes directly to the rear. I reads the speed off the rear. If the rear went or any part of the line snaped you would loose your speedo. When I striped my spider gear in my rear my speedo died on me and so did the od.

Your speedo line goes directly to the rear. I reads the speed off the rear. If the rear went or any part of the line snaped you would loose your speedo. When I striped my spider gear in my rear my speedo died on me and so did the od.

speedo runs off the governer in the transmission....

I don't think so!!!

Just a shot in the dark, but don't these cars have vehicle speed sensors that have an effect on idle speed....thought I read that somewhere. But then again I think to much.:D

Originally posted by jimmymopower
Just a shot in the dark, but don't these cars have vehicle speed sensors that have an effect on idle speed....thought I read that somewhere. But then again I think to much.:D

idle, i am not sure about, but a bud of mine said that since the speedometer isnt working the vss isnt working, so therefore the computer dosent know when to lock up the converter, so that could explain my little higher rpm's on the highway. but that wouldnt explain why my manual lockup wouldnt be working :confused:

hmm, i guess my manual lock-up switch does lock up, for some reason i was flipping my fan switch instead of my TCC lock up, oh well, stupid mistake, but atleast i can still lock my converter up manually.

1. Disconnect the speedo cable from the transmission [near the tailshaft; driver's side]. Chuck the square cable in a drill, and have a friend watch the speedo while you operate the drill. This should tell you where the problem lies.

2. Is the ECM raising any trouble codes?

3. Do you have an analog or digital dash?

i will do the drill thing either thursday, or this weekend, whenever i get the chance to change my oil, might as well knock more then one thing out at a time ;)

yes, the ECM is telling me code 24: VSS not working.

it is an analog dash.

:cool:

thanks