Motor went Boom!!! What happened?

i could be wrong, but usually when the pressure gets a lot higher than normal on start up that means that here is a lot of play in the bearings. Im pretty sure on this but not 100% sure so ill let somebody else comment

Your going to have lots of pressure when cold becuase the clearances are a lot tighter, plus the oil is thicker. 60 PSI cold can occur even with wiped bearings.

Bearing tell tale is if you rev the motor, the racket gets worse under it. Typically at idle wont make too bad a knocking sound. Put it to 1500 rpms.. you'll know.

Drain oil and look for debris. takes less than a few minutes.
Cant be easier. Worst case you gave your motor a needed oil change.

you could also start the car and let it idle and remove each spark plug wire and see if the noise lessens or go's away. this will at least narrow it down to which cylinder your dealing with ..;)

you could also start the car and let it idle and remove each spark plug wire and see if the noise lessens or go's away. this will at least narrow it down to which cylinder your dealing with ..;)

My crank was shot and the rod and main bearings were shot but I still got 60 PSI cold on start up. About five minutes into driving the pressure will have dropped to about 20 PSI while driving and about 9 at idle. Lots of RPM's and the pressure will not go past about 20 PSI.

If your pressure is that high and will not drop, maybe something blocked a passage shortly after the pump thus keeping the pressure up and the knock from the oil not getting to the bearings

hey welcome to the club i snaped the crank in half on mine and got a new motor from advanced auto it was 1700 got it a week ago and im waiting on my hermonic balancer to come in to start it but i did all the work myself not to bad ill post pics when im done

Originally posted by CHANCE
hey welcome to the club i snaped the crank in half on mine and got a new motor from advanced auto it was 1700 got it a week ago and im waiting on my hermonic balancer to come in to start it but i did all the work myself not to bad ill post pics when im done

Just an FYI, lots of those motors(advanced auto, jasper, etc) not come with the rolled fillet turbo crank.

Sounds like grounds for a claim if the bottom end fails

Paid for a turbo vin7 engine and got non turbo parts - no wonder it failed:eek: