Rottweiler dogs???

SS/GN

I am considering getting a pup,my life is changing and have more time to have a pet again.:DI am looking at reputable breeders and am prepared to take her to puppy school and then obediance school(wife says for me).Any Rotti owners on here and any advice is appreciated.Thanks

Kevin

Subscribing... would love a Rot, but wife wants a "furry" dog she can pet like our current Samoyed (sp?)

Like any large powerful athletic breed, get a reputable breeder, they will probably pick the dog for you. (and let them). Training and plenty of exercise and socialize the heck out of them... I am about to get another German Shepherd. They are my choice of dog. But love the Rotts also.

I had a Rott for many years and she was the smartest, most instinctive animal that I have ever seen.
She was very gentle with kids and ladies and for some reason she was more aggressive from dusk to dawn.
She was a watch dog that was a gentle pet.

Proud Rott owner here. Ours is 7 yrs old and awesome.
Few things....
They are not for the novice owner they are demanding and strong willed and require training and persistence but it pays off. Owners must be willing to walk the dogs and I dont mean walk around till they poop then go home and thats it. They need interaction and excersize 30- 45 minutes of walk time daily and the need to be on a schedule.
They are VERY intelligent animals and can be trained very well once you learn the way Rotties think and go about things.
As mentioned must be socialized and trained!
It will take time and work if you are not willing then I would pass.
They love water and swimming..... mine even points at squirrels at Rabbits which is a sight LOL.
As with any pure breed and also puppy mills there are strains of cancer, joint issues and Cancer.
Coat maint is minimal but they do shed so they will be hair.
When buying a Pup I want to see the mom and dads living enviroment and interact with them to see if the owners keeps up the place ..****e outta the yard.....clean well taken care of place.
If its a high dollar breeder then I expect to see hip xrays and vets rating on both parents hips for one. As well as documented medical history of both parents. etc.

Go find a Rott rescue if you want a rott... My last two were rescues... Great dogs...
My current seems to be a rott/pitt mix... She is the most loveable dog in my pack... Can't hold her licker... :p
These, just like Pitts and any other big breed dogs are just as cuddly as a Sammy which, btw, tend toward chow behavior... (ie: less petting, more biting) My chow mix- We think he's a Eurasiur- is less lovey and acts more like a cat. You can pet him when he decides....

The rescues will address any medical issues, add chip tracking and vet the dogs for temperment.... IMHO these dogs know that they have been rescued. All of mine have come from bad homes and adjusted perfectly to our good home.... Just a thought (I don't advocate for breeding new dogs when there's plenty of good used dogs needing a good home)

Best of Luck to you...

The only thing I disagree with is, I believe rescues should only be taken in by experienced owners. (Especially with these breeds) Not first timers. Getting a pup from a quality breeder usually cost less $$ and less heart ache in the long run. They breed for temperament and can choose a high drive or low drive dog for your needs. Where as a BYB says pick one and hope you get lucky. Plus a lot of the genetic problems have been addressed with a quality breeder. It is money well spent for a life time of companionship. I love people who get a rescue but again it is hard enough to train and trust a pup. let alone untrain and relearn and trust with a breed like this. If you have lots of experience great. But if not spend the $$$$$.

Don't get wrapped up in the whole "vicious breed" thing... There's no such thing. All of mine fall into this silly category of vicious Breed according to the uninformed... They're well behaved and well tempered.

There is no such thing as a bad dog; only bad owners...

The most "vicious dogs" I have ever dealt with would have to be the little breeds like Chihuahua- those guys bite at the drop of a hat...
I remember reading an article a while back that mentioned that the largest amount of dog bites in the US were not the "usual suspects" but rather the ubiquitous Labrador retriever because they're super popular (so there were more of them) and tolerant of children to an extent... But people would get complacent and forget that they're still a dog with big sharp teeth who might not be inclined to have their ears or tail pulled for the umteenth time...

Again, this is merely my experience but I've had big dogs all my life and many friends have large breed dogs, some of which fall into the "vicious category" and the majority have all been rescues... Bear in mind that I'm talking about breed specific rescues as opposed to the local shelter (these are usually less well equipped to learn about each dog so their "tendencies" are usually unknown)... A good breed specific rescue will be better equipped to handle that breed and will learn the particular dog's quirks before adopting it out.

Another idea is to take your dog to the prospective shelter with you and let him/her "choose" who they best get along with... It's worked for me.

Breeders who do pure breeding can try to breed for temperment but cannot breed out chronic issues - for Rotts there is the common hip displaysia and bone cancer... My last Rot got the big C... This current rot mix, because it is a mix/mutt does not have the common issues associated with pure breed Rotts.

Again, just my opinion. Either way, I hope you find a good furry companion for your family...

i also prefer dogs from a quality breeder. They are much more predictable, besides, most shelters and rescues require neutering.

im in the market for a puppy right now and im looking towards either another boxer or a great dane.

I know at some point the other side of the argument is coming. Once it does please keep it civil, we have had many "dog" threads that didn't turn out so well:eek::biggrin:

sorry but I would go to a breeder also. Oh my 2 cents on dog rescues.. I looked at them an actually found a few dogs I wanted.. Up here in good ol Massachusetts I wouldn't pass their requirements .. Don't have a fenced in yard. PLUS the $3/500 "fee" .. I'd kill for my dogs life !! Has a farm with el packa's he runs crazy with. Place on the water to have a blast at. Then his reg old house and all the cars he gets to go in for his "rides"..
Old friends of mine had a Rotty.. Friendliest lovable slob :biggrin: Oh his name was "Cujo". He would lick ya to death !! Good luck on your search.
Here is Hunter a few days ago patiently waiting for a ride. :p

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 306
Thanks for all the input.What i find from posts on here is you get lots of input from people all over from different walks of life.:biggrin:We share Buicks but have sooo much more to offer.I am still looking at the rescue thing too as some of the breeders here actually get involved.The reason I am looking at the breeder pup route is this is for my youngest daughter and to get one from a pup is a complete experience.;)We had mutts as a kid and the $1000 plus cost was hard to justify for a pure bread,:eek:but a good breader does so much more(so I am learning)Thanks again

Kevin

Another + for a Rotti.
I have had 3. They are great dogs, very loyal. They do need attention and exercise but it is well worth it.
I currently have a 2 year old Chocolate/Pit mix that we got as a rescue pup, he is also a great dog. Don't get caught up in the hype about Rotts being aggressive attack dogs...it's all in the training and upbringing. Good luck.

Bryan

+10 for Rott,

got one from a very good friend, had her for 11 years, was the absolute best dog i ever had, even wife who had dogs her whole life lover my rot better then her own dog.

If she is gonna be your get a female, she will fall in love with you, mine did.

If I die tomorrow I hope to be reincarnated as one of Grumpy's sheps. If I could be so lucky....:biggrin:

IM000092.jpgIM000093.jpg060823145352.jpgView attachment 143657Do your research first. I lost my rott Turbo on may 28 of this year. He was 10 1/2 years old.
Rotts get a bad rap. It all in how they are raised. Alot of guys on here met Turbo and know how he was. A big baby. He loved going for rides in the car and peeing on every tire he layed his eyes on.
He was very stubborn when he was young. He went to obedience class when he was 9 months and the first day there the lady did not want him in the class.
By the end of the day he was her favorite. He was a huge part of our lives and we miss him every day.
Now the bad part. They are prone to cancer.Thats what took Turbo from us.
The first big problem is when he was 7 years old and ruptured a disc in his neck and then when he was 8 his spleen ruptured. He was good till he was 9 1/2 he started limping so we brought him in becasue we thought he had arthritis. It wasnt its was cancer in his wrist. So he was real healthy so the doc said to remove his leg so we did. That was very hard to do. After that he was good for 6 months when it came back in his chest and there was nothing we could do.
Whatever dog you do get get pet insurance. I used VPI. Let me tell you the money the saved me.They paid half my vet bills which were about the same as a nice gn. I liked that dog more than I like most people so i did not care about money.
Turbo was a pure breed and a rescue dog also.
He was great with kids. My daughter was 4 when I got him and those two were truly brother and sister.
Anyone that messed with her or Dawn had 110lbs of problems real fast. The only person he ever bit was me and that was because I pushed him to his limits while play fighting. He did draw blood but I had no broken no broken bones so he didnt bite that hard

Sorry for your loss Chopped. We lost Chloe in May also at 11 yrs old. She was family too.

RIP Chloe and Turbo.

I recently seen a list of the most feared dogs. 1. Pit, 2 German Shepherds, 3 Rotti.
Again, it is just peoples perception.

Attachments

• chloe6.jpg
    chloe6.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 260