Rottweiler dogs???

I have had a Rottie for 6 years now and he is a super dog. Very friendly and playful. Loves to get out for walks and run. My wife didn't want to get him but he is now a "momma's boy". He is very protective of her and our son. There are lots of people that are scared of him because of all the bad stories that they hear and because of his size, but in all reality he is a great big baby. Have had some people laugh at him because he still has a tail, it is against the law here to have the tail docked. I like his tail makes him unique, but will clean a coffee table with it in no time if he is excited. Here are a couple pics of my pup "Dozer"
christmas 2010 & Stuff 022.jpg
IMG_1836.jpg
IMG_1864.jpg

Number one reason a rott is at a rescue is people give up on traing them because the people are lazy.And that goes with all breeds not just rotts. Ask any vet or any rescue. My buddy gets nothing but rescue rotts. He has had 10 rotts in the last 13 years . My brother had two golden labs that he did not train and the dogs were nuts. He ended up giving them to a rescue .
I know a guy that does schutzhund training and he trained one rott and said its to hard because they are so stubborn.
My friend also does k-9 training for Dupage county and several other counties and told me with Turbo the best thing is to socialize him. When we had him at Caspers he walked up to everybody no problems. He was never aggresive towards other dogs or people. Do it all when they are young. Dont get me wrong. Turbo was a handful when we first got him at 5 months. Our hard work paid off bigtime. He was a big baby . If you dont have time for a dog DONT GET ONE.

View attachment 143658View attachment 143656View attachment 143655View attachment 143657Do your research first. I lost my rott Turbo on may 28 of this year. He was 10 1/2 years old.
Rotts get a bad rap. It all in how they are raised. Alot of guys on here met Turbo and know how he was. A big baby. He loved going for rides in the car and peeing on every tire he layed his eyes on.
He was very stubborn when he was young. He went to obedience class when he was 9 months and the first day there the lady did not want him in the class.
By the end of the day he was her favorite. He was a huge part of our lives and we miss him every day.
Now the bad part. They are prone to cancer.Thats what took Turbo from us.
The first big problem is when he was 7 years old and ruptured a disc in his neck and then when he was 8 his spleen ruptured. He was good till he was 9 1/2 he started limping so we brought him in becasue we thought he had arthritis. It wasnt its was cancer in his wrist. So he was real healthy so the doc said to remove his leg so we did. That was very hard to do. After that he was good for 6 months when it came back in his chest and there was nothing we could do.
Whatever dog you do get get pet insurance. I used VPI. Let me tell you the money the saved me.They paid half my vet bills which were about the same as a nice gn. I liked that dog more than I like most people so i did not care about money.
Turbo was a pure breed and a rescue dog also.
He was great with kids. My daughter was 4 when I got him and those two were truly brother and sister.
Anyone that messed with her or Dawn had 110lbs of problems real fast. The only person he ever bit was me and that was because I pushed him to his limits while play fighting. He did draw blood but I had no broken no broken bones so he didnt bite that hard

damn sorry to hear that...

Thanks to all who posted.I went to a quality breeder and now have a beautiful pup.:cool:My heart breaks when i see abused or homeless animals and I looked at the rescue dog idea,however everyone including the handlers said if it your first Rotti get a female pup.She is a nice addition to the family,and she knows how to suck up to the wfe;) I will post some pics later.Thank you for your honesty and opinions

Kevin

Rottweiler Trivia:

The Rottweiler has a long history of herding, starting as far back as driving the food supply of the Roman Legions across the Alps. Later, in Germany, they were known as the Butcher's dog, driving cattle to market.

Thanks,mine is known for being cute,not sleeping through the night and is very gentle and calm;)

Kevin

She is here to keep people with timbits away from my Buicks.lol;)

Kevin

Pics

Here are some pics of Molly,she is a blast.Not much sleep around here:p

Kevin

Attachments

• 092.jpg
    092.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 089.jpg
    089.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 98
Couple more

Attachments

• 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 97
Congrats on the Rotti!!! I miss mine and would buy another in a heartbeat if my schedule allowed. You will absolutely love your new little family member. Remember, as lovable as these dogs are, they are also VERY protective and powerful and do not take kindly to people they don't know. THey can go from happy go lucky to all business in a split second if they sence something is not right. Don't ever leave her with someone she just met as she may not be as friendly with them as she is with you. She will be a totally devoted companion and you will love her to pieces. Don't forget to read a few Rotti books to get the general picture with respect to these dogs. Truly an amazing breed. Man I miss my Rotti.

Congrats, I highly recommend a pinch collar for any large dog, consider it power steering for your dog. A strong willed large dog will not be stopped by a choke chain.

Bryan.

Congrats on the Rotti!!! I miss mine and would buy another in a heartbeat if my schedule allowed. You will absolutely love your new little family member. Remember, as lovable as these dogs are, they are also VERY protective and powerful and do not take kindly to people they don't know. THey can go from happy go lucky to all business in a split second if they sence something is not right. Don't ever leave her with someone she just met as she may not be as friendly with them as she is with you. She will be a totally devoted companion and you will love her to pieces. Don't forget to read a few Rotti books to get the general picture with respect to these dogs. Truly an amazing breed. Man I miss my Rotti.

Thanks,everyone I talked to says the MOST IMPORTANT thing is yo socialize them with as many people and other animals as possible in the first year.She is going to pupp and obediant school(more for me)We have alot of kids around and as with any animal I am careful.I want a good family pet and someone that will watch out for my daughters if I am not around

Kevin

no breeds is any better or worse then the next. one may pee or bark more then the other or have cetain health problems that have been passed down thru time or have an inherent ability to be protective or the ability to be trained in obedience or agility but a dog is just that "A dog".

if u raise ur kids to act like azzholes they will will turn out that way. dogs are no different. how u treat and raise them will dictate the way it acts 95% of the time.

Just as Brett says. In my experience it's all in how they imprint on you as the master though. I never walked my pair with more than a simple short leash. The wife (GF at the time) needed longer leashes and could only handle one at a time though. But what do you expect from a dog that has 50lbs on the human? The fact that they would obey and detach from whatever they suddenly got interested in or aggrivated by for a human who had no real ability to control the situation is a testament to their nature.

They however will not take any, even misunderstood, threat toward "their children".
Rot's are SO family centered in their personalities that you should always be Especially Careful with anyone outside the family around your kids in every situation.

This pup is awesome,calm and listens very well.No signs of aggression.Last night she gave the cat a tongue bath,cat did not know what to do:eek:Cat sits on her crate no problem and you have to give them both a treat sitting side by side.She really enjoys people.The rides in the truck were a bit of a challenge but that is behind us.With time and training she is going to be alot of fun.Oh and she is getting a prong collar because my shoulder is done.:eek:I am going to a trainer/friend to be shown how to train with it

Kevin