Riv vs. GS

86WH1TType

GO KINGS GO
I know that the GS is suppose to be faster then the GTP because of weight and stuff but how about compared to the Riv. I was looking at a 99 Riv yesterday and I noticed that it has no u-bend like the GS and GTP have. The exhaust just goes straight back. Also are all the Rivs (96-99, supercharged of course) pretty much the same? TIA

Rivi

The Riv doesnt have the U-bend. But it has the whole 3 muffler dual exhaust. It has a little muffler inline with the cat. Ive been wondering if the dual exhaust Pontiacs have the three mufflers? I dont think so...

I have been thinkin about taking out this third Muffler and going the Cat/testpipe route. I have been trying to find some one who has done exhaust work on their Riv, for some advice. Maybe the stock rears are too restrictive as well? I dont know. I wouldnt doubt it, they were probibly designed mostly to keep things super quiet. That car is so damned quiet, I tend to get tickets be cause I didnt know I was going 80.

Also when looking for a Riv you wont see a ton of them. Since the base model comes with just about every GM feature possible, you will see some which seem to be fully loaded. Look for one with 16in alloys, sun roof, and (depending where you live) heated mirrors/seat. I really only cared about the alloy rims. The base model rims are this icky metallic grey, looks like the Aurora. I had planned to buy the car and immediatly upgrade the rims but I got lucky. add 2-4 grand for a black one. subtract 5-7grand for a metallic salmon or metallic mint, haha.

Urbs
-
97 Riviera, K&N, Pulley, Trans Cooler
Ill post pics o the mods if anyone is interested..

what you are calling a third muffler is realy a resonator to keep the car from droning at highway speed, it has no effect on performance. the cat and the 1 7/8th tail pipes and mufflers are the real bottle neck. if you take out the cat you will need a obd2 tricker for the 2nd o2 sensor. 50 bucks at summit

aha

what you are calling a third muffler is realy a resonator to keep the car from droning at highway speed

I had no idea, Makes sense though...thanks for the info

This is a little off topic but do you have any exhaust advice besides bigger? Also I have been assuming that (aside from pipe length and bends) a good set up on one 3800SC will perform the same on my Riv. Is this a good assumption?

Urbs
-
97 Riviera, K&N, Pulley, Trans Cooler