RIDER MOWER recommendations

I bought an MTD from Wards ten years ago and have had minimal trouble with it. My friend has a JD and has problems but he doesn't take care of it properly. If it is not for commercial use and you take care of it, I think any brand will do the job. I use mine for cutting and plowing. Briggs 18hp twin cylinder. I also have the hydrostatic drive which is very easy to control.

I would go for a used commercial mower,thats what I did.I picked up a Scagg 52" rider,best investment I made.I can mow my yard faster and get a better cut than my neighbors on their chiepy KMart mowers.I can also turn on a dime.They are not cheap!,but you get what you pay for.Spend a little more now,or replace it in a few years.

Keith

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
OK I know we still have that white stuff on the ground but this year I want to heave ho the free antique lawn chief rider I have.
Too many problems with it, Hard to start, no pulling power, wheels too small & cannot replace them anymore.

I can only spend in the $900 to $1400 range so the Exotic stuff is out like John Deere.

It is looking like a toss up between
Sears "Craftsman",
Home Depot " SCOTTS",
or Wally Mart "MTD"

What should I look for in features? Like HP, Speed, or anything that you experts might know since I never owned one.

I would like the bagger option too.

I may also start a few cutting accounts in the OLD folks neighborhood I live in since I work eves. This may help pay for itself.

Thanks

After all is said and done it comes down to one thing, your budget. With that budget, unfortunately, I think you're stuck with MTD or one of it's MANY "knock-offs), OR a very used name brand.

JD is a great machine. I personally prefer Simplicity (Allis Agco). But then again, neither is anywhere in your stated budget. :(