RIDER MOWER recommendations

Little6pack

OK I know we still have that white stuff on the ground but this year I want to heave ho the free antique lawn chief rider I have.
Too many problems with it, Hard to start, no pulling power, wheels too small & cannot replace them anymore.

I can only spend in the $900 to $1400 range so the Exotic stuff is out like John Deere.

It is looking like a toss up between
Sears "Craftsman",
Home Depot " SCOTTS",
or Wally Mart "MTD"

What should I look for in features? Like HP, Speed, or anything that you experts might know since I never owned one.

I would like the bagger option too.

I may also start a few cutting accounts in the OLD folks neighborhood I live in since I work eves. This may help pay for itself.

Thanks

Sorry Steve........................

If you want a Darn good used rider go to your local Deere dealer. Usually they have a lot of good trade ins in inventory. Come see us in Kansas, put a trailer hitch on your Turbo regal, and come get a rider from us. I am the sales manager over 5 JD stores,,,,,,well make you a deal and have some TR fun at the same time:D

We do have a dealer here for JD.
I nearly had sticker shock when I walked in.

I am sure the prices in the midwest are better than on the
EAST- MOST- MONEY- COAST!

Would love to move midwest as my buddy in Alva Oklahoma told me the LOW home prices. I could live pretty darn good out that way.

Johndeeregn, I sent you mail....I almostr started this topic....

I m looking for total utilty.......anuthing do more then cut? like light grading.....anything.....I m on an acre and I have "big plans" but over along time......and I d like a decent amount of grass...so a rider is in my future.....plus if I know how wide the mower is first , I can make sure I have the room for it in the landscaping so I wont have to go back to a tight area with something else.....

Scotts is the JD lowball mass-market unit...not much the same or even close in comparison, including price.

In the price range you've mentioned, the best you can do is shop & choose by brand of MOTOR, not brand of mower.

Check to see the real world comparative testing & research done by Consumer Reports, and also on epinion. com.

HTH :)

No more Sabre...............

Sorry two lane, no more Sabre availiable. Deere went to a new 100 series for the budget minded. And yes Steve, our prices are a lot less in the Midwest than the coasts. Same products just less money. PS--for all concerened, Deere is one of VERY FEW people that still manufacture their own mowers. MTD makes almost everyone elses mowers just painted different colors. There are still a few great manufacturers like grasshopper, exmark, etc. Deere may not be they best, but are close, and have hell uv a dealer support behind them;)

I notice a 6 month no finace deal.. Maybe I can swing the 100 series LT100 that I saw on the website :)

Will recheck to see if I have any other dealers nearby as KANSAS might be a bit of a long ride..

At least NH has no sales TAX..

just glad to help...................

And if you ever have an extra 100-250k laying around I sell the tractors and combines:D

MTD sucks to put it bluntly. I have one, and not the el cheapo model, and regret it buying it. And like was said, they come in many colors, under many names, so be careful.

.......I know the JohnDeere's cost more, but it will out last a "cheaper version" many many times over. You wont be sorry you bought one. I've got an STX 185 and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
:D

We have many John Deere lawn tractors. They are hands down the best you can buy. We have a large 2 acre lawn plus my Grandmas 2 acre lawn. I've mowed both since I was a little kid. We have a JD 70 that my dad bought new3 in the mid 70's and is still going strong. We also have a 112 model from the mid 60's that was used up until a couple years ago when it was retired and restored to better than new cond. The new fleet consists of a 314 and a 318 both hydrostat and the 318 has power steering. And if you realy need big we have a 1946 JD M tractor with a 60" finishing mower on it, but thats prolly out of your leauge. :)

You can buy a used Deere and for the same price as a El-Cheapo brand and it will outlast the El-Cheapo 10 times over.

Plus it is nice to have a mower that doesn't have throwaway parts on it. On a Deere you can rebuild the decks and other items that you'd just have to replace on cheap brands.

Doug

I feel the love.....................

Thanks for all the help fellas,,Ok Thunder and Doug also....checks in the mail for all the props about my beloved deere machines:D ,,,,,maybe sometime I can deliver you a new mower Doug,,,as I have season tix to the HUSKERS:D :D

Sorry Ok. Thunder, I am a husker stuck in Kansas;)

Hello,

Listen to JohnDeerGN. I did exactly what he said and bought a slightly used John Deer from my local dealer. It was 2 years old and well taken care and that was 3 years ago and still runs like new. My buddy bought a Scott's and it lasted 2 years before having major problems. The repairs cost half of what the mower was worth. Home Depot carries the new 100 series in a manual and automatic. Prices start at around $1400.

I almost bought the Craftsman, Scott's, etc. but the quality didn't compare to the JD. The drivetrain, deck, motor, etc. are the things I looked at when buying. JD are more money, but it is investment you will use for a long time.

Hope that helps some,

I have a Scott's 20/46 and it is a complete piece of ****. The battery was junk after 1 year, the mulching system sucked, so I bought a powerflow bagger. That broke the first time I used it. I welded the bracket that broke and that has been fine. The bagger is real chincy though. And the snowblower, well, words can't describe the utter hatred I have for that thing. It breaks every time I use it, no exceptions. If I am lucky, it is just a shear pin. I have bent two pulleys, and broken two belts at 60 dollars a piece. I am absolutely sick of this orange satan sitting in my garage. I think I am going to sell the whole shooting match and buy a plow for my truck and a nice JD push mower.

Now, at my house in New Hampshire, I have a John Deere LX 188 (I think) The thing starts every time, runs smooth as a sewing machine, and has never failed me. It is 3 years old and I wouldn't think of getting rid of it. It is incredible the difference between John Deere's low end, and their real product.

IMO JD makes a pretty good mower. Traded my old JD in last year on a new Kubota Diesel. Man does this thing have power. I can't stall it!! Kubota gets my vote this round....fuel consumption considerably less too...Don't know if JD markets a diesel lawn tractor or not, but this Kubota is impressive to say the least.

I would encourage you to buy a used good brand mower, as opposed to a cheapy new one. Believe it or not, the used good one will outlast the new one.

Things to look at when buying riders.

Do the obviuos engine check things, but look at these items on the mower.

How easy is it to detach and remove the deck?
How easy are the belts to change?
Is the front axle heavy and solid, or a hollow piece of stamped steel (this is a HUGE item to consider)
What type of transmission, hydrostatic, or a crappy gear drive, or a rubber wheel?

JD is not a bad unit, when I was in that field I was a HUGE fan of Simplicity tractors. You should easily be able to find a used hydro unit with a 42" deck at the bottom end of your price range.

We have an ad paper here called the "Trading Times" - thats where I would look. Lots of older people hire a lawn service and don't want the hassel of their perfectly running tractor anymore, so they sell it.

Try dealers, but they will have a markup obviously. I would buy from a private party, check it out and take it home!