Recasted Stage 2 blocks Interest

mec108 said:
What kind of blocks doe's the pro stock guy's use? Iron or AL.... :confused:

Most are aluminum like the drce, sonny's, shafiroff... etc, etc. These are high buck too, $80,000 each, but they don't care if they trash one. It's a little different with the stage stuff, there are plenty of people out there with the means to make new blocks, one of them being my friend chuck. The bickering and bs related to new stuff r&d is what keeps most guys away. People are ungrateful as hell, and that will never change.

twin 93 svt said:
Mid eights, and going faster every time down the track. TA block with stage II heads, TSO car. Tony Ochipinti

Yes, Tony O and Tony Gomes are both leaders showing the community the AL block is capable of getting the job done. Thanks guys.

I remember reading about a gm (or gmc ) block v6 that had 302 cubes with chevy 2.02 valves and fuel injection.

twin 93 svt said:
Mid eights, and going faster every time down the track. TA block with stage II heads, TSO car. Tony Ochipinti

WOW!! Mid eights! You have been picking up. What's your best time now?

Interest in Cast Iron Block ?

I really haven't followed this thread from when it got started.

After going thru it quickly, I see it basically went into either offense and/or defense of the New Aluminum or existing Iron blocks, in addition to alot of off topic b.s.

I believe the "Original Intent" was to find out if there was sufficient interest in a Cast Iron Replacement Block.

There was no real concensus,....would have been easier just to do a POLL :confused:

I believe most are aware, that there are Pro's & Cons relating to either Design (Alum. vs Iron) type Materials.

Weight & repairablity of alum. blocks is advantagous for sure.

Heck if all things possible.... I'll take a Cast Iron Block & Cast Iron Heads that weighs the same as the Alum. components & is repairable :D

We can dicuss/dispute power loss or gain relating to each type of Block, but the real issue is do we want to have a choice, if given the opportunity??

Joe

broke1 said:
GD,youre gonna build a $20k engine and people are bitching about the price.WTF??

Apparently those responding must not know all the machine work that goes into a block before assembly....

The comment about "if it was 3k instead of 4k,theyre be alot more responses" was about the dumbest ive ever heard.Again,20k engine,1k isnt gonna make or break you.....
Drew ,correct me if I am wrong ,so the block is $4000 and gonna cost $20k to have it up and running,,,,,I look at it this way---
$4000x200=$800K,I would not buy a block for $4000,infact I am glade I didnt jump on the TA bandwagon--I still have my arms and legs and a bank account -----now many will agree this was getting bent over ,,many will agree it is better than sliced bread and TV dinners......But how many TA blocks are running out there,,,,BET that if the price was $2500 for the block and stock parts could be used than they could sell near 400 blocks,hmm now how much would that be........for $2500 block I could find away to get one to fit in my wifes van,,guess what happens after that,there is a need for more parts,,these cars are a dying breed and eveyone is after the next get rich idea...not bashing ,,jmo

:rolleyes:

BandAid said:
Drew ,correct me if I am wrong ,so the block is $4000 and gonna cost $20k to have it up and running,,,,,I look at it this way---
$4000x200=$800K,I would not buy a block for $4000,infact I am glade I didnt jump on the TA bandwagon--I still have my arms and legs and a bank account -----now many will agree this was getting bent over ,,many will agree it is better than sliced bread and TV dinners......But how many TA blocks are running out there,,,,BET that if the price was $2500 for the block and stock parts could be used than they could sell near 400 blocks,hmm now how much would that be........for $2500 block I could find away to get one to fit in my wifes van,,guess what happens after that,there is a need for more parts,,these cars are a dying breed and eveyone is after the next get rich idea...not bashing ,,jmo

Going by what you're saying I guess DART is ripping off a lot of people as well considering an aluminum block for the SBC guys is over $4000...
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/dartalumblocks.html

World Products is coming out with an aftermarket aluminum block for the LS1 guys and the price is not much different (from what I heard it should be around $3500-$4000)....

I think there might be a "few" more SBC and LS1 guys out there than what we have in the Buick V6 community but funny how the TA block is about the same price..... Makes me wonder if we are really getting ripped off as you say!? :rolleyes:

BandAid said:

This kind of logic is impossible to argue against, simply because those that see it this way are never going to be convinced of the effort, work and hours (years) that go into producing such a block (or widget). They obviously have no idea what so ever what it takes to recover the costs involved in design and production. It's not like there's an endless market after all.

TurboDave said:
This kind of logic is impossible to argue against, simply because those that see it this way are never going to be convinced of the effort, work and hours (years) that go into producing such a block (or widget). They obviously have no idea what so ever what it takes to recover the costs involved in design and production. It's not like there's an endless market after all.
I think it is awesome that the block was made and many great minds had to come together for it to happen,the effort was amazing ,I just think we are a small number that believe in these cars/motors ,we have how many members 5k-10k, if the price was right they could sell easily sell 800 blocks ,heck I would buy one ,but to have to pay another $14K to have it running ,forget about it .

Same price as chevy motor,But should it be cheaper with 2 less cylinders :biggrin: Less material

stage blocks

in my opinion there is not enought people with buick turbo cars to warranty companys like world products, brodex, etc, to make a buick v-6 if there was they would be doing it, chevy, ford, pontiac, even olds, and amc pick up the phone and get any thing you want from jegs summit, etc, but not for our cars, our cars are going on 20 years old, i get aggravated at my old car but i still love it why? yes for 2500,00 ill take a new ta block or a new cast iron, but lets face facts that aint gonna happen. so im just gonna keep the 4 offcenter and one on center blocks that i have now, oc, :)

odell4o8 said:
in my opinion there is not enought people with buick turbo cars to warranty companys like world products, brodex, etc, to make a buick v-6 if there was they would be doing it, chevy, ford, pontiac, even olds, and amc pick up the phone and get any thing you want from jegs summit, etc, but not for our cars, our cars are going on 20 years old, i get aggravated at my old car but i still love it why? yes for 2500,00 ill take a new ta block or a new cast iron, but lets face facts that aint gonna happen. so im just gonna keep the 4 offcenter and one on center blocks that i have now, oc, :)

Sounds like your stage stash is getting low, you might want to buy some more stuff. :D

odell4o8 said:

I agree with Stu, it seems like you are cutting it close.