Recasted Stage 2 blocks Interest

BIG STU

Originally posted by Big Stu
Doesn't innovative make a gtb 88 turbo that works pretty well? From what I remember they are big $$ though. I vote for the gt42, also, what converter are you going to use? Your parts list sounds pretty good.:cool:
Behind my 109 block i have neil chance 4200, Ill try that first then go from there and im gonna do a little research to see which turbo between the GT42R and the PT-76GT-S fits my combo of parts the best !

HOW FAST UR TRYING TO GO WITH THAT MONSTER UR BUILDING?

TA Performance decided after many long discussions with the key members of the Buick community that the V6 replacement block was to be made out of Aluminum due to the ease of repair, machining, design and overall cost. We have found that the Buick enthusiast would be more receptive to a replacement block that could be repaired in the case that a rod was to break or a cylinder wall was damaged. The end user would have the ability in most cases to repair the block instead of scrapping it for another and incurring a large cost for replacement. Weight savings was also an issue. The block can be machined in On and Off center configurations without having to recast the block, giving the Buick enthusiast even more options. We at TA Performance have invested many hours and resources to produce the V6 block in Aluminum to provide the Buick community with a quality product that will not only provide the customer with the performance that they expect along with the added benefit of reusablity. Kenny Duttweiler was given the first production block to build and test on the Dyno before the block was offered for sale, after making 1200 horsepower and 1100 ft lbs of torque on the dyno the engine was put in Gene Bruno's car and tested at the track. After 100+ passes in the low 9's over the last two years we feel that the block has been fully tested. Feel free to call Gene as he has made his phone number avaliable to anyone with questions 818-788-8832. :)

TA BLOCKS & HEADS

Im not familiar with Gene Brunos combo, could u let some of us that dont know exactly the type stroke,rods,camshaft dia,heads,intake and turbos He and Kenny D used to save Gene a heck-of-alot of phone calls!:D

And i cant find any imfo on the TA heads, could any of u guys tell me where to find any imformation on the eliminator and intimidator?

Originally posted by Buzzard
TA Performance decided after many long discussions with the key members of the Buick community that the V6 replacement block was to be made out of Aluminum due to the ease of repair, machining, design and overall cost. We have found that the Buick enthusiast would be more receptive to a replacement block that could be repaired in the case that a rod was to break or a cylinder wall was damaged. The end user would have the ability in most cases to repair the block instead of scrapping it for another and incurring a large cost for replacement. Weight savings was also an issue. The block can be machined in On and Off center configurations without having to recast the block, giving the Buick enthusiast even more options. We at TA Performance have invested many hours and resources to produce the V6 block in Aluminum to provide the Buick community with a quality product that will not only provide the customer with the performance that they expect along with the added benefit of reusablity.

And these are all good reasons to use an aluminum block.

The shop that dynoed my TSO motor is building a TA block. We are going to use a S2 top half that I have provided and twins. We hope to have it on the dyno by the end of the summer. It is going in a Limited Street car that has already been built. I will let everyone know how it truns out.

I will try and get the specifics for Gene's combo and post here to help keep the phone traffic down. :) Gene would be happy to answer any questions that I don't cover regarding his Duttweiller built TA motor.

Jeff Rand said:
Kenny Duttweiler decked, bored, line honed, and installed cam bearings on my TA block and the cost was $385.
Jeff

Jeff,

Is that the normal price? I have talked with Nick (ArizoniaGn) & TaPerformance and both are about 2000 for machine work for shortblock. ie bore cylinders, hone, fit pistons, file rings, balance, cam bearings, degree cam, machine rear cap,drainbacks block, and assembling. I realize you said deck, bore, line hond, and installed cam bearings but I am guessing surface decking and rear cap and oil passes where included. So what is the going rate for him to assemble the engine?

For others, I have a TA Block, ta heads, billet crank, billet rods, je pistons, rings & wrist pins, timing chain, billet cam, oil pan, balancer, flex plate, and intake. What I need to finish the longblock is roller lifters, pushrods, rocker assembles, springs, retainers, valves, bearings, gaskets, head stud kit, front cover reworked, and above stated machine work. It looks like 5000-5200 with a mild port job (can add around 1500 for great port job). I noticed a few members would like a dyno sheet to go with the engine and the 5000-5200 does not included dyno time. I have not checked with Kenny Duttweiler, Jack Cotton, or others (I checked with Nick and Ta because they are so close and I figure if I need follow up help they were close), so the others might be price lower. If they are that low I might have to rethink that. Also, you can add more for the little things like adding a oil dipstick (no provision in TA Block), taller valve covers, and I probably find more as the build goes forward.

I would like to add, TA has spent alot of time and money on a block ( I don't work for them) for the buick community and I can't believe another block would help out, if anything hurt us. With the low number being bought and 2 vendors, we would probably ended up with no one making a block. :(

For Buzzard,

Can future productions have the oil dipstick added? ;)

wilkinshc said:
Jeff,

You can just as easy add a 1/4 NPT bung on any oil pan and use a universal dipstick you can get from Summit or anywhere. The 1/4NPTx3/8 compression fitting is a better deal IMHO anyways.

That is the normal price. Ken had to line hone the mains because of some clearance issues with the rear main. That cost was charged back to TA. I think the work I had done to the block was standard pricing. I do not know what Ken charges to balance and assemble.
Good Luck,
Jeff

wilkinshc said:
Jeff,

Is that the normal price? I have talked with Nick (ArizoniaGn) & TaPerformance and both are about 2000 for machine work for shortblock. ie bore cylinders, hone, fit pistons, file rings, balance, cam bearings, degree cam, machine rear cap,drainbacks block, and assembling. I realize you said deck, bore, line hond, and installed cam bearings but I am guessing surface decking and rear cap and oil passes where included. So what is the going rate for him to assemble the engine?

For others, I have a TA Block, ta heads, billet crank, billet rods, je pistons, rings & wrist pins, timing chain, billet cam, oil pan, balancer, flex plate, and intake. What I need to finish the longblock is roller lifters, pushrods, rocker assembles, springs, retainers, valves, bearings, gaskets, head stud kit, front cover reworked, and above stated machine work. It looks like 5000-5200 with a mild port job (can add around 1500 for great port job). I noticed a few members would like a dyno sheet to go with the engine and the 5000-5200 does not included dyno time. I have not checked with Kenny Duttweiler, Jack Cotton, or others (I checked with Nick and Ta because they are so close and I figure if I need follow up help they were close), so the others might be price lower. If they are that low I might have to rethink that. Also, you can add more for the little things like adding a oil dipstick (no provision in TA Block), taller valve covers, and I probably find more as the build goes forward.

I would like to add, TA has spent alot of time and money on a block ( I don't work for them) for the buick community and I can't believe another block would help out, if anything hurt us. With the low number being bought and 2 vendors, we would probably ended up with no one making a block. :(

For Buzzard,

Question- would it be possible or feasible to move the cam bore up in a TA block and fit a 4" stroke crank in it? Ie a "5L" block? :D I predict that something like that would sell, sell, sell...

TurboTR

TurboTR said:
Question- would it be possible or feasible to move the cam bore up in a TA block and fit a 4" stroke crank in it? Ie a "5L" block? :D I predict that something like that would sell, sell, sell...

TurboTR

I personally thought a normal version and a "race" version block would have been cool. Race version meaning all kinds of stuff like the cam moved and any other improvements to be had for reasonable $$.

I am sure there is a explanation why this isn't done.

I'm pretty sure that way back when they announced the block they included plans to machine a version with the cam raised. I think they said 300 cubic inches should be possible. My guess is that it is mostly a matter of developing the machining programs, but of course that takes time and blocks away from their current orders.

I think to make the buick motor more competitive in todays racing we need to make improvements .I think since most of us would buy block and heads i would go for a big bore version 4.125 standard wider bore spacing of course as to not have cooling issues taller deck to use a big chevy rod maybe a 3.75 stroke .I think we could be able to build a 300 cube v6 that could keep up with some of the new stuff like the global v6 stuff like that .

Mid eights, and going faster every time down the track. TA block with stage II heads, TSO car. Tony Ochipinti

twin 93 svt said:
Mid eights, and going faster every time down the track. TA block with stage II heads, TSO car. Tony Ochipinti

Tony,

What are the specs of your build up???