Recasted Stage 2 blocks Interest

Originally posted by baadgn
20% power loss with the aluminum block :(

We'll see about that. You are the man on this one. Even "if" these claims are correct, you still got a 8 second pass, which is more than I can say! ;)

GD,youre gonna build a $20k engine and people are bitching about the price.WTF??

Apparently those responding must not know all the machine work that goes into a block before assembly....

The comment about "if it was 3k instead of 4k,theyre be alot more responses" was about the dumbest ive ever heard.Again,20k engine,1k isnt gonna make or break you.....

Originally posted by Ted A.
We'll see about that. You are the man on this one. Even "if" these claims are correct, you still got a 8 second pass, which is more than I can say! ;)
Ted,
Thanks for the compliment the motor is done !! it is going in this Sat I will need a couple of weeks to get everything wired up too many butt splices wire nuts from all the testing that we did when the car was last out 2 years ago. I think there may be a slight loss in power due to ring seal but with the benifit of the weight savings and if it does let go :eek: it can be repaired easier. Their are a few guys out there running in the nines so I feel my goal can be achievied:)

p.s
how is your stuff coming along, I am just starting to take apart the TSM car now. Glad to see you got pauls stage 2 thats a good runner.

Well, after learning all about junk S2 parts and bad engine builders, I am hoping to spend more time tuning rather than fixing a bad engine builders mistakes($$$$$). Using a new guy, so far so good. It will be about 4 weeks untill the S2 motor is done and the TSM motor will be done before that, but no car here for it. I plan on running Q16 at BG with the GN. It should only take a week of evenings to get it back together, so that leaves me a month to wire up the distributor and new XFI box, which should not be a problem compared to the problem of "waiting".

I think someone should cast some heads like the indy type big ol valves/ports these blocks sound good but use the thick walls etc.

Well, this has been an interesting thread for me. I have been revamping my whole car for this T/A motor over the past three years. The motor arrived last July. Had alot of issues outside the car or it would have been running awhile ago. Just finished some final wiring to the inovative boost controler today and will be turning the key within a week. I plan on having the car at Norwalk at the end of April. I am optomistic that it will run well and that will provide some promissing news for some of you. Larry

Larry, that is good to hear that you should have the car running soon and going by Nick Micale's results as well as a few others I think you will also have some positive feedback to post about your TA aluminum motor:)

Anyways good luck with it and make sure you keep her shiny side up!:D ;) :cool:

The TA motors have made 1400 hp and worked just fine.

Duttweiler has dynod a few of them.

So the argument that they wont make power is not valid.

And quite frankly, anyone that builds a Stage motor should be concerned about weight. After you have spent $20K on the motor and all of the goodies, you should want the car to be as light as possible. Its called cheap increases in ETs and speed. Thats just being smart.

Originally posted by Reggie West
The TA motors have made 1400 hp and worked just fine.

Duttweiler has dynod a few of them.

So the argument that they wont make power is not valid.

And quite frankly, anyone that builds a Stage motor should be concerned about weight. After you have spent $20K on the motor and all of the goodies, you should want the car to be as light as possible. Its called cheap increases in ETs and speed. Thats just being smart.

I'll still place my bets if anybody puts a big ## down, it'll be Tony Gomes first and he'll hold the fastest TA block record. Looks like there may be couple of other guys out there ready to give him a run for his money?

I'm sure he will. My next door neighbor is paul calahan, he and his brother glen campaign a gold limited with an 88turbo equipped ta block. They have run in the 9.7's so far with a lot of tuning left to do. Their car is heavy too, no glass parts anywhere.:)

Originally posted by Big Stu
I'm sure he will. My next door neighbor is paul calahan, he and his brother glen campaign a gold limited with an 88turbo equipped ta block. They have run in the 9.7's so far with a lot of tuning left to do. Their car is heavy too, no glass parts anywhere.:)

I need pics!

Big Stu-

A local guy Brian Burnside had a T-88 on a 274 on center motor and went 8.60's@165mph driving the car to the track on M/T ET streets.

I have yet to hear about any TA alum block go faster than high 9's. After being out for over a year... one would think that they would be showing what they can do. How TA doesn't have a shop car that is kicking *ss is beyond me. Bad marketing.

Harlan is a guy with the LS1 stock block, stock main caps, stock cast LS1 crank, good rods/pistons, smallish cam, ported 6.0 truck heads, GMPP alum lower carb intake converted to EFI with 2 turbos running 8.20's@170mph. He has make tons of passes and is running it again this year with no signs of failure and bolting up larger turbos. He does have a dry sump setup on it. LS1 block is about $250 used and ready to drop in LS1 crank is $175 used. Pretty amazing how well they are designed out of the box.

I hope we see some fast Stage and TA motors in 2005. Good luck guys.

-Mark

There was a guy in vegas at the nationals that had a twin turbo ta block, and if I remember right he had run low 9's with that setup. Duttweiler built possibly? Not sure..... I stay out of the ta block discussions for the most part:D most people know what I think.:cool:

Originally posted by Big Stu
There was a guy in vegas at the nationals that had a twin turbo ta block, and if I remember right he had run low 9's with that setup. Duttweiler built possibly? Not sure..... I stay out of the ta block discussions for the most part:D most people know what I think.:cool:

I believe this was in the 9.4x range that was rumored to have made the big 1000+ HP range on Duttweilers dyno. I recall the MPH in the pass would indicate it was way off the reported ##'s. He may have not been pushing it hard.

Yeah, I recall him telling me that he hadn't pushed it past 25#'s because he didn't want to hurt the motor. He was parked next to a guy that had just bought someone's clean stage 2 "street"car from michigan. I don't remember either of their names, they were both nice guys though.:)

Originally posted by Ted A.
I believe this was in the 9.4x range that was rumored to have made the big 1000+ HP range on Duttweilers dyno. I recall the MPH in the pass would indicate it was way off the reported ##'s. He may have not been pushing it hard.

From what I heard from a little birdie this car with the 1300HP TA Motor did not track straight. It really should not have been making passes until that was resolved. Also the new owner was going into a car much faster than uesd to. Not everyone runs a 8 the first couple times at the track. Even if you have the power there is a lot of work going into a small tired car getting down the track.

ANYONE WITH INPUT!

Ive been 9.40s @144mph 3200lbs with 235ci (stock crank carillo rods and 3.830 JE pistons) 109 block,ported GN1s and 4bolt 76GTQ on 10in rim with 28x10.5W tire on stock suspension! My engine builders(WHITERACING.COM) are more than capable of putting S2 motors in the 7s and 8s as hes done 2 of each to my knowledge!

My question<Can everyone here atleast agree that the off center TA block is stronger than the stock 109 block? With BIGGER(274) and STRONGER shortblock, Can i with the same car combo go 8.90s to 9teens?

Thanx 4 any input!

I think it is safe to say that the ta block is pretty stout, and able to take a serious beating. I'm not really qualified to say you could run a high 8 with that combo and a new block, but I bet you could at least run a low 9 turning up the boost a little more with the ta block.:)