Rant

Does humor always pass you by so easily?

Geeze, lighten up, Francis...... this isn't your rant.......... o_O Or maybe it is.......... :D
Humor is not the issue. I am just trying to clear things up. Don't you just love it when they call your Turbo Buick a Monte Carlo? Well, I sure don't. I'm just trying to keep you from being the "hey nice Monte Carlo" guy in other genres of the car realm.

My thread. My rant. My point was clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hear "Nice Monte Carlo." just about every week.

Doesn't bother me one bit. I just nod and say "thanks". If it bothers you so much that some others don't know the difference between yours and a Monte, it might be time to take a deep cleansing breath, buy some undershorts without a big knot in them and just go on with life..... When all is said and done, just how important is it, really?

In addition, I don't comment about "donks" to their owners, as I have no interest in the genre, I have no reason to talk to the owner of one.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

Last edited:
I hear "Nice Monte Carlo." just about every week.

Doesn't bother me one bit. I just nod and say "thanks". If it bothers you so much that some others don't know the difference between yours and a Monte, it might be time to take a deep cleansing breath, buy some undershorts with a bigger waste line and just go with life..... When all is said and done, just how important is it, really?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)
No problem. I understand. I'm just passionate about our community and sometimes the shit people do to these cars and to our guys just bothers me.

The whole Donk thing. Whatever. I gave the real definition of it. Take it or leave it.

It seems like my point is being misunderstood but at the end of the day everyone should do whatever makes them happy. And that's ok.

It was a rant due to seeing many buicks being raped and seeing a few of our guys getting the short end of the stick from others.

I'm cool. It may seem that I get worked up but I have been told in the past that I speak and write passionately and often times come across differently. Must be my Cuban blood.

Funny but,
Gary Wells and I were cruising the beach his 700 HP Cad-V a couple of weeks ago. We pulled up next to a very clean looking, black, 80s Monty Carlo at a red light. Our windows were down as we were admiring each others very nice GM products. After many years of having my GN called a "Nice Monty", I couldn't resist the temptation.
Me yelling to the dude: "Nice Grand National!"
Him: "Thanks but, It's a Monty Carlo!"
Me: "I know!"
He drove off with a confused look on his face.

Guess I just felt like paying one back.:D The guy didn't seem too offended. In fact, he seemed kinda stoked.;)

And at the end of the day, all is well in the TR community.......

This site really is the best!

TR's ROCK, 'nuff said.

The folks that don't get 'em, well, they just don't 'em.

And that's OK.

The ones that do, won't challenge us to a race.

Last edited:
Humor is not the issue. I am just trying to clear things up. Don't you just love it when they call your Turbo Buick a Monte Carlo? Well, I sure don't. I'm just trying to keep you from being the "hey nice Monte Carlo" guy in other genres of the car realm.

My thread. My rant. My point was clear.

i bet you are always the funnest guy at a party... the one that everyone just can't wait to talk to...

this coming from the TEXT speaker.....stop whining like a little girl. haven't u embarrassed urself enough in this thread?

And you just managed to come off sounding like some gum snapping, clove cigarette puffing, 17 year old little girl yet AGAIN.

Why don't you loosen your panties up a bit, find a little humor in what is said here and stop snarking about what more than one person seems to see in your posts. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

this coming from the TEXT speaker.....stop whining like a little girl. haven't u embarrassed urself enough in this thread?

I never "text speak", sport.

That's your realm of reality.

And you're about 7 months late with your response........ :D Be well.

I get the Monte Carlo thing a lot , in fact one guy asked if it was an Oldsmobile, but I just say thanks and tell them it's not a Monte or Cutlass or Pontiac. When they ask what it is I explain that it is a Buick turbo car. Get a lot of "Gee, I didn't know Buick built a car like this." Then I get to have the fun of telling them all about it. Just helps people get educated and I've found most folks are happy to visit with you. Love my GN and showing it off. One evening a lady told my wife and I that we looked so cute riding around in that black car.(y)
John

thats wat I wud think that most ppl don't know wat these cars are since there almost 30 yrs old and u basically never see them on the road but I have takn my car out 3 times this year and twice to walmart. and both trips to walmart resulted in guys no more then 25 yrs old taking videos of my car as I left the lot and given me the thumbs up each time. these were walmart employees. go figure.....

I get the Monte Carlo thing a lot , in fact one guy asked if it was an Oldsmobile, but I just say thanks and tell them it's not a Monte or Cutlass or Pontiac. When they ask what it is I explain that it is a Buick turbo car. Get a lot of "Gee, I didn't know Buick built a car like this." Then I get to have the fun of telling them all about it. Just helps people get educated and I've found most folks are happy to visit with you. Love my GN and showing it off. One evening a lady told my wife and I that we looked so cute riding around in that black car.(y)
John

When it comes down to it, it's your car. Do with it how it pleases you, but not everybody is gonna like it
I agree 100%.
and
Call me opinionated, but I see no craftsmanship in anything "donked", and I thank God that I live in an area where that fad hasn't really caught on yet.
Just wait…it's coming!…:D
and
"getdowngranny", it's not because someone doesn't write correctly that they'll necessarily butcher up a GN… :rolleyes:
As for my GN being mistaken for a Monte Carlo, I couldn't care less…
Anyways, you seem to hold the absolute truth, know what's right or wrong, know what looks good or bad, etc… but since no one can please everybody, the best thing left to do is to please yourself and build your car the way you want it, and that includes the "donk" guys, period…

Claude. :rolleyes:

P.S: I'm surprised to see that you live in Miami and that you say that "donk" cars are only "71-76 Chevrolet Caprice or Impala. Nothing else."…Really??…What about the Crown Vics and Grand Marquis' ?:woot:

I , too, really can't see why someone would hack on a good TB unless the body or motor was beyond repair and the car was going to get crushed. In my opinion it would be similar to finding a ragged-around-the-edges Boss "9" and putting a coyote motor in it or an old chevelle SS BB and transplanting an LS motor in it. Now I know a Boss "9" is worth vastly more than a TB , but the principle (to me) is the same. Please correct me if I am wrong, but our TB's have a certain mystique and THAT is the attraction, for most of us anyway. Royally kicking ass with a 80's *6*cylinder--what's better than that?
I watch all the auctions I can , and attend those that I am able and it seems the unmolested TB's are going for the most bucks. Besides my appreciation for these smokin' hot beautiful cars, I do have some financial sense and a sizeable investment in my car. That's why my mods are going to be a minimum and reversible. (yes I am going to swap out the powermaster). I want to KEEP my investment. Now, would I *like* to go 10's or low11's in the quarter mile? Or carve up an autocross course like a vette? Yup, but not with the car I have now. Why? Because it is what it is---"unmolested". So I guess the question has to be asked, "What exactly *is* 'molested' , anyway?" That answer, I am sure is open to interpretation. I know I have MY answer to that question. Am I wrong or right? In the end it IS my car and my decision right or wrong is solely on me and I do respect different opinions, too. That's the beauty of this site.

Once when my first wife and myself were in myrtle beach, we met another couple from Ohio. They drove all the way down in their completely stock 55 Chevy 4 door and we cruised the town. It was unforgettably fun. What a ride that car was. All original ( it even had the old reverb radio) and very well maintained, and very dependable, and it drew a lot of attention. Not that I crave attention, but the same is true with my GN.

Not to change the subject of my personal rant, but one thing IS certain. Our cars bring people together, either in the real world -- at cruise in's , or national events -- or the virtual one like on this forum, which is no doubt one of the best.
The RedHead and myself are planning to go to Bowling Green this year then on to Nashville for some music and US time. Since I don't have a trailer , we have to drive the family truckster. I am looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you guys and checking out your rides and watching -- and marveling at -- some very quick 6 cylinders.
And I do want to donate to this site.

I think you might have misunderstood the message I was trying to convey. I am not "worried" about anything. I just love my car for what it is. A really nice 87 GN in showroom condition. It's my personal taste. And it's not like I don't appreciate the trick mods that some do. A regularly *street driven* 10 second car was unheard of in my day. I think that's just absolutely incredible ( as is yours running 11's) But, that's just my opinion.

I kind of look at it like this. I am the "caretaker" of the car. I looked at my airplane the same way. It was built in 1955. ( a Piper Pa-22 150). A true classic. I took really good care of it and I got out of it what I had in it ( minus the maintenance costs, of course.) Flying it was a real hoot, just like driving my GN is. Having a showroom-stock muscle car is just my personal kick . ( could you imagine finding an unmolested '69 Z28 that you could afford?) I looked long and hard for a GN that fit what I wanted, as I did with my airplane.
"Worried", no. Happier than a pig in slop? You betcha.

The part that really boggles me is "the community sucks so i am selling my car".
When i got into Buicks i didn't know a single person that was also into them. Every single friend and family member of mine was into imports and so was I.
Today i have a few friends that i came to know because of these cars.
The way i see it is i am into these cars because of the cars NOT the other people that are into them.
I don't feel any obligation to the "community" or to any one else that owns a buick.
Helping others.. I'll offer help to anyone dumb or smart or other, big wheels, small wheels, ugly paint whatever as long as the person appears to be an honest person who gives a fuck of what they like on their cars. It's like saying that guy has a fat wife i can't help him WTF.

handling advice -- I am guilty of not listening to good advice by people who i know for a fact know what they are talking about. And it's not that i think i know better i just like to try my own ideas and when that doesn't work i'll bitch about it and try something else. This is a hobby so tinkering with the car is to me what it's all about. Other wise i would have gotten a perfect car and not touch it or drive it.

Please don't become like "some of them guys in other sites" that if you don't follow their advice you deserve to die a slow painful death and burn in hell and then never offer to help again. Because them guys suck dirty, hairy, smelly man ASS.

I was looking at this rant again and it occurred to me that it's not just our cars but lots of cars getting "messed up"
Personally, I think it's indicative of this generation of young people at least the few I've met. They seem to be clueless and truly do "expect" to
have it all right now because they somehow "deserve" it.

David, I agree with you. But, for me, the added bonus of owning a TB is meeting new friends but it's not the sole reason for owning one. I meet lots of nice people at cruise-in's . I have no plan on selling the "Black Beast" no matter how much grief or bullsh*t I get from anyone ( except maybe the RedHead -- I gotta live with her! ) . But , you know what I'm saying.
As far as following advice, it is what it is. Advice. It's up to me to adhere to it, or ignore it. So far, from this site I have found some valuable info --- like the "spring cleaning " thing. It's common sense advice., and pretty good stuff.
I don't feel "obligated " to help,,either. Willing? Maybe. I would help more, but being a relative newbie my experience is very limited. I ain't gonna preach what I don't know -- and the beauty of knowledge is knowing what you don't know. So far, what I DO know that the chassis bracing I have installed and the shocks I have chosen I like a LOT.
I do wish that more TB enthusiasts such as yourself lived closer to my neck of the woods.......