Rant

getdowngranny

Mr. Fix It
I'm so upset that Turbo Buicks are ending up in the wrong hands. Let me explain. I am the type of person that loves all genres of cars. If done correctly. Hot rod, street strip, rat rod, imports, etc...... Even donks (71-76 impala or caprice). I respect the work, money, and time people put in their cars to make them what they are. But. Turbo Buicks are now ending up with a crowd that is going to kill them rather than preserve then. I know all of you have seen this crowd coming on the board. You can see some of the newer members with the way they write things and the reasons why they are coming here. Horrible grammar, zero feedback, and want your advice to fix their problem but still end up taking it to "their" mechanic just to find a post three months later on how their newly rebuilt motor done by "their" mechanic is knocking all of a sudden. If you are on social media you can see it if you follow the right places. Instagram. All I see Buicks everyday that have been chopped up and hacked up to put huge wheels on it. Then they do burn outs until eventually the motor "their" mechanic built blows up. Then they are forced to come on the forum for help. Or they come on here to part out or sell stuff/junk and end up hustling our members. For example the aluminum heads sold by Miguelito thread fiasco we have going on. Our respected members are getting blindsided. I'm not saying Miguelito is doing the big wheel thing but he is also an example of other people getting and ruining these cars. Can you put big wheels and do it right, yes!!! I have done it in the past but that is not my cup of tea any more. Take TurboChrisss for example. He usually will do a build with bigger wheels but he does it correctly, doesn't hack the cars up to the point of no return, the cars look great, and he respects the community. But there are way too many more that are being chopped up abused and discarded because of the type of people that are getting them. Now. I know. Not all of them end up in the wrong hands and there are plenty of us that respect the brand and the community and keep these cars alive. But my eyes don't deceive me. I'm from Miami. And in Miami there is a great turbo Buick community that represents the community well. But in Miami there are way more of these cars getting raped for lack of better words. Same goes across the country. It just hurts me to see this forum and this Buick community now suffering from these people. If you look hard enough you can find the posts on here. The typical 10 post newbie with messed up grammar saying something to the tune of " my car brok... Lol.... Idk what it do..... Mechanic say motor need rebilt... Smoke from the tips". There isn't a thread with that in it but there are many threads that can relate. So. This type of person posts this crap up. We try to help as a community. They usually disregard our suggestion because they are looking for a quick fix and not want to do the long proper steps as we suggest. Then they post back up with crap for sale either on here or on Craigslist. And someone buys the stuff that is ruined or never gets the parts they pay for. On top of that, the poor Buick now is not only broken, but chopped up, or getting ready for some type of motor transplant because their "mechanic" does not know the LC2. I can go on and on about this kind of crap and other crap but I'll just drive myself crazy. Thanks for putting up with it. Getdown out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. Some newbies are trying to do it right and do listen and learn but lots just want instant gratification. Add a few parts and think they will run 10s. Even older newbies, not just the youngest ones.

The Buick community is not alone. This same stuff is going on on the 55-57 boards, LS1 tech, u name it.
With the more intricate vehicles, such as the LS powered cars, the posters post the bare bones info, have no way to troubleshoot, don't post the fix, etc, etc.
Those guys get no response from me.
It's all bs, and will continue until there are so few TR's left, there won't be a forum. {Or, the older guys will drag up, and say screw this, take their bass boat out, and sell the TR.}
I've been around these cars since 86, and can't count the number of "old guys" that are no longer heard from.
Take a look at turbobuicks.com...That's a joke. Some days there's "no new posts" ....

An example: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/1987-t-type-for-sale.429560/

The Buick community is not alone. This same stuff is going on on the 55-57 boards, LS1 tech, u name it.
With the more intricate vehicles, such as the LS powered cars, the posters post the bare bones info, have no way to troubleshoot, don't post the fix, etc, etc.
It's all bs, and will continue until there are so few TR's left, there won't be a forum. {Or, the older guys will drag up, and say screw this, take their bass boat out, and sell the TR.}
I've been around these cars since 86, and can't count the number of "old guys" that are no longer heard from.
Take a look at turbobuicks.com...That's a joke. Some days there's "no new posts" ....

An example: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/1987-t-type-for-sale.429560/
I was going to post that same link as an example but decided not to. I'm glad you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

try writing in paragraphs vs. one long run on sentence...... but I agree!
The long sentence bothered you that much?
LOL, but either way as long as we keep our cars nice and let them destroy theirs, it'll only bring up the value of "our" cars... But yes I understand... Mike

Last edited:

gnttype.org is just as bad!!! I've seen it go weeks without a single post.

But you guys make excellent points!! I, like you Chuck, have been around these cars tuning and tweaking since 86, and I'm getting tired of this whole mess!!!!
I really don't post much anymore and it isn't going to be long before I sell both of my GN's and get out.

gnttype.org is just as bad!!! I've seen it go weeks without a single post.

But you guys make excellent points!! I, like you Chuck, have been around these cars tuning and tweaking since 86, and I'm getting tired of this whole mess!!!!
I really don't post much anymore and it isn't going to be long before I sell both of my GN's and get out.

... and with it, your experience.

I'll probably take some heat for this, but I think swapping original cars over to LS drivetrains is desecrating the whole heritage of the turbo buick. I understand they're cheaper to build, go faster on stock parts, blah blah blah. If you want a fast LS car, go find yourself a nice Monte Carlo, Malibu, or even an n/a regal.

text speak.....? wasn't aware u cud text "Speak". nice try tryn to sound slick but u came off sounding stupid....:rolleyes:

And you just managed to come off sounding like some gum snapping, clove cigarette puffing, 17 year old little girl yet AGAIN.

Why don't you loosen your panties up a bit, find a little humor in what is said here and stop snarking about what more than one person seems to see in your posts. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I think the problem with the cars getting hacked up is that YOU (all the current owners of these cars) are giving them away when you sell a decent car for pennies on the dollar... Hell, if a Legendary car like a GN is so cheap that some idiot kid with no money can buy one, then what do you expect.... (Remember that these guys actually believe the crap they saw on Fast & Furious is real)

Notice that you don't see too many riced out 1970 Cuda's--- Wonder why? Because no one can afford to get their hands on them!!! Sure, it bugs me that I'm priced out of the older Mopars and lots of other classic muscle but, it's something to aspire to if I really want one. And if I get to the point of dropping that sort of coin for a car, there's no way in hell I'm going to hack it up.

I'm not saying that our cars are worth Hemi cuda prices (Maybe one day) but I think this is a problem we've created for ourselves.

I read some funny quotes on a BMW forum:
"A cheap BMW never is" and "Just because you can afford to buy a BMW does not mean you can afford to own one"

I think it sort of applies here as well. We all know these cars are money pits and have sold our souls in the effort to be good stewards. We understand and appreciate the history and legendary status of these cars. We accept that we will spend more time wrenching than driving and we're fine with that. We know that we will always be outnumbered by Mustangs and Camaros. But, we also know that the Darkside carries a special place in out hearts- Every time we get behind the wheel and unleash hell upon the unsuspecting.

Heck, I'm smiling now just thinking about it.

This new generation wants what we have but is impatient and unwilling to make an effort to learn anything. They stomp their feet like Veruca Salt (remember the original Willy Wonka?) and exclaim "I want it now daddy!!" "Now!!!!"

Geez, I didn't think I'd hijack this rant for my own ranting but, at least you get my point.

so only a certain type of person should be allowed to own these cars, and they are only allowed to do certain things to them while they own them?

this thread makes me want to swap a poorly running 5.3 into my T Type and put some 24" wheels on it before painting it with gold metalflake spray paint.