Rant on veggie's

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
So yesterday I go for a lunch special at a local Chinese restaurant.. I look in the back and the cook is cutting up some brocolli.. Point is the brocolli was coming out of a brown big box with Chinese writing.

Our veggies now come from China. Where does it end?

Sorry for the rant.. our fruit and vegetables are all imported.What a shame.

Only thing I can get local are tomatoes and strawberries. Cant wait for us to start importing potatoes.

Julio I did I little research before closing shop and there is a cargo ship that holds like 14,000 containers and only take 13 men or so to operate it. It uses about a third less fuel than most ships it travels from China to the USA and back. It arrives 90% full and leaves about 10% full of product.....In the manufacturing world if a person has to touch a component the Chinese can manufacture it and ship it here, put it on a shelf, for .50 cents on the dollar. If the process is fully automated it is a little closer. And the Chinese govt. subsidizes the manufactures up to 13% for energy cost....

The US always worries about getting nuked or war.. bet if the Chinese govt said.. no more exports to the US.. and by the way we want our loans paid now.. it would cripple this country instantly worse than any bomb.. like the power company shutting of your electricity.

When you cant produce your own food and let someone else feed you.. you've put yourself in a very poor position. Looks very simple.. grow more corn to put into fuel, grow less food so you become dependant on other countries to feed you. Whats awesome is the corn gets picked by a machine so no humans are needed... and generates less MPG. And we let some other country control what pesticides or junk get put into that food.

Wonderful.. absolutely wonderful. Then lets deport anyone that can help farm and pick the food o_O And I wonder.. Geesh..

What you might not know is even our military uniforms and a bunch of equipment is made over seas now.:confused: If for some reason china decides to stop importaion to us, our soldiers will be naked since we can't even make our own clothing.:eek::oops:

Not a shocker to me....... Chinese are supporting their country..... That is something we ( The USA) should learn to do more of!! What did you expect? Just because they live here now and serve you food they should buy our stuff? LOL

Think they would be surprised to walk into Alkycontrol and see you having a box that had Made in USA on it? LOL

The only thing going for us is the fact we do owe them a lot. If you owe someone a few dollars, that's your problem. If you owe someone millions of dollars, that's their problem. They need you to be viable long term so you can pay back the money.

Honestly though, did you REALLY expect a chinese restaurant to buy American?
Point is I wasnt expecting something simple like brocolli to be imported all the way from China and make it to Florida still beating out costs in this country.. A restaurant is going to get produce wherever they can get it for the cheapest.

At leasts its authentic o_O

Not a shocker to me....... Chinese are supporting their country..... That is something we ( The USA) should learn to do more of!! What did you expect? Just because they live here now and serve you food they should buy our stuff? LOL

Think they would be surprised to walk into Alkycontrol and see you having a box that had Made in USA on it? LOL

Be surprised. Hoses, fittings, pump wiring, terminals, boxes, controller boxes, pc boards, heat sinks, decals, and some other stuff is made in usa. we hand build all the controllers here.. so the mfg is usa. I cant get semi's, capacitors, resistors, controls, knobs, push button switches, cable couplers, etc sourced in the US. If I could.. I would. Pump motors are originally made in Mexico o_O at least its not chinese.

The new pump covers are designed in the US, and MFG'd in China. Takes 12 weeks everytime I order them The company that designed them here doesnt have the capability of large scale production.. so its done overseas.

I bought some AC Delco 2 bar map sensors last week and they had the made in China decal on them.

What can ya do.. but in electronics its Taiwan, Japan, Malaysia, etc where it can come from. Not always China. Altho geographically its all the same.

The only thing going for us is the fact we do owe them a lot. If you owe someone a few dollars, that's your problem. If you owe someone millions of dollars, that's their problem. They need you to be viable long term so you can pay back the money.

So what your saying is be happy we owe them the money so there is a vested interest in them wanting to keep us around.

Pretty simple really...

Here in the USA an assembly line worker without a college education belongs to a union which forces the employer to pay him an $75000 salary plus double time on sunday. A fork truck driver with a high school GED also belongs to the same union and pulls down a $100,000 salary running around a warehouse making double time on sunday. Yet both guys will sit there on their paid break and bitch and moan about China and in the same breath they'll cry about their low pay and lousy benefits.... right before they head over to Wal-Mart and load up on Chinese crap for the week.

Pretty simple really...

Here in the USA an assembly line worker without a college education belongs to a union which forces the employer to pay him an $75000 salary plus double time on sunday. A fork truck driver with a high school GED also belongs to the same union and pulls down a $100,000 salary running around a warehouse making double time on sunday. Yet both guys will sit there on their paid break and bitch and moan about China and in the same breath they'll cry about their low pay and lousy benefits.... right before they head over to Wal-Mart and load up on Chinese crap for the week.

And then go out on stress leave for 3mos. paid while some one has to cover your shift @ time and a half pay because it is fishing season. Which equals 2.5 x pay for the same hrs. that was quoted at straight time cause the man has the money. F- the man..:rolleyes:
he's got it..... O shit I'm getting laid-off because the cost to run this work is to high...and they are moving it to China.....Why why why.

Pretty simple really...

This makes no sense. Unions & union members are far more likely buy American & push the buy American agenda. In the last few years they've worked hard w/the manufacturers to reduce costs. American workers (including those in unions) are far more productive. The only reason the guy is making double time on Sunday is because it's profitable for the business owner (or if you want they could go to the mandatory 60hr/no OT work weeks like the Chinese do). Also, the non-union vehicle production lines don't result in cheaper cars for the public, they just result in more profits for the manufacturers board members & stock holders. The ages of fat union contracts dis-appeared about 3-5 yrs ago.

Razor said:
So yesterday I go for a lunch special at a local Chinese restaurant.. I look in the back and the cook is cutting up some brocolli.. Point is the brocolli was coming out of a brown big box with Chinese writing.

Our veggies now come from China. Where does it end?

Sorry for the rant.. our fruit and vegetables are all imported.What a shame.

Only thing I can get local are tomatoes and strawberries. Cant wait for us to start importing potatoes.

It's not uncommon to see Chinese writing on western grown broccoli. The actual country of origin is on the box though. The only commonly bought produce I've seen recently come from china is garlic in recent months. All non packaged random weighted produce needs to have COOL labeling. It can be directly attached to the product or on the signage that corresponds to the product. There has to ve a way to trace it all the way back through the wholesale chain also.

And then go out on stress leave for 3mos. paid while some one has to cover your shift @ time and a half pay because it is fishing season. Which equals 2.5 x pay for the same hrs. that was quoted at straight time cause the man has the money. F- the man..:rolleyes:
he's got it..... O shit I'm getting laid-off because the cost to run this work is to high...and they are moving it to China.....Why why why.

That's a red herring. The reason many companies have moved overseas (according to them) is to increase profits. Yes, the profits are partially increased because of cheaper labor, but this is not just because of lack of unions. The factors are: child labor is legal, sweatshop conditions are legal, little to no labor laws that usually aren't enforced, few to no taxes, management expenses are very cheap for white collar supervisors/managers, pro-business legal environment (no sex harassment or other lawsuits), no safety laws. Some of these things are to blame on unions, but how is that a bad thing? Which would you rather have back for us (our friends/family/etc) to work under? Forced uncompensated OT, unsafe conditions, child labor, paying for promotions, bribing supervisors, being jailed for complaining about work conditions, no health care for you or your family? Sweet, let's go right to a Chinese model & give up our freedoms so we can have a government backed/owned business model...... Oh, wait, maybe our system is fairly well balanced compared to the other 3rd world countries out there. :)

If it gets turned into a political type thread it will be moved so keep this in mind. It's fine where it is as far as I'm concerened but if it gets more animated it will be moved.:)

If it gets turned into a political type thread it will be moved so keep this in mind. It's fine where it is as far as I'm concerened but if it gets more animated it will be moved.:)

I whole heartedly agree! I see a couple of political forum regulars have snuck out of their PF cave and joined in on this thread, hence the reason it's taking a political tack.

Dangit!!!!

Just when I was enjoying the reading of how buying and being American with all the advantages we have over 3rd world crapholes where human rights aren't a consideration, Charlie goes and throws the political card on the table...

So much for relaxing while reading intellegent conversation...;)

just yankin yer chains.... FWIW my broccoli gave up in December. I'm still pickin a bunch of last years lettuce thanks to the mild winter though!:)

Guess I should start taking pointers from the Amish. Being self sufficient is key! Growing there own veggie's, potatoes, ... and produce their own dairy/meat.
You don't have to worry about the Chinese or Mexican's pissing on your veggie's either.

Let me ride that donkey donkey, let me ride that donkey.

Joe

Here you go Julio. Chinese wording. Product of Mexico.

Attachments

• image-148440958.jpg
    image-148440958.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image-1529971825.jpg
    image-1529971825.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 42