chinese made products

derick's gn

i was looking at a thread yesterday in general topics and it went from f body radiator swap to chinese parts.i felt the need to post this.
i own a machine shop so i see chinese junk all the time.i have to deal with this everday when i go out to buy tools/materials for my shop.i always buy american. they don't care what they sell us.just look at the quality compared to our's. look we all want almart prices.we all need to buy from them because that's what we can afford.

i applaud the vendors here that make their products in the USA.look for example at the quality of RJC's exhaust compared to what everyone here is posting that they are buying.i am not going to name it but i know it's made in china.because i had a friend that worked there.and i know that there was issues with what they were getting from china.so you go to one of the magazine speed shops and get it for what maybe $425-450 and you can get one from RJC for $550-600 or so.ok you just saved $125 but what did you gain? their steel is very different than our's.so see how it holds up.

i just used RJC as an example.but look at arizona gn or kirban's or tr custom parts or any of the other great vendors here. alot of there product is made in this country.if you have a problem with something from one of these vendors they will stand behind it.if there product is from say china or india or somewhere else yes they will stand by there product and probably send you a new one but then they get trashed for the bad product.we need to start buying USA or we are screwed more than what we are now.we need to start being more inventive again (so china can steal more from us).

in my business we see very few younger people intrested in the trades.look you can build cool stuff get to work on something with your hands AND BE PROUD of your acomplishments.i see to many jobs/products go oversea's because of our laziness.:)confused:example--i worked for a large electrical connector mfg. i was a boss i had 8 guy's in my dept. if someone was setting up a machine and the lunch bell rang they would stop what they were doing and go to lunch.even if it would have taken 5 more minutes to get the machine running.take a late lunch show some pride in your company.after all that's how you get paid).
i could go on forever and i did sorry but think about the purchase you are about to make and BUY AMERICAN.

tom

I agree. All kinds of parts and products. My p.o.s. 08 Polaris 800HO has made in china stamped everywhere on it. 100% stock and with less than 400 miles I've replaced half a dozen failed parts, all stamped china. Now all my wheel bearings are leaking grease and they're all stamped china. Its almost everything now and people don't even understand how bad this is. You can't even buy f'n apple juice for your kids anymore without it being from china. Motts and a bunch of others 100% apple juice are from china, stamped right on the f'n bottle. Are you $hitt'n me? We can't even produce our own apple juice anymore? Really?

i was looking at a thread yesterday in general topics and it went from f body radiator swap to chinese parts.i felt the need to post this.
i own a machine shop so i see chinese junk all the time.
tom

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately "corporate america" will sell their first-born to save a couple pennies on any given part that can be purchased from China vs. made in the USA. Maybe that's the capitalist way, but at the end of the day, the only jobs left in this country will be working for the government who finances themselves by printing more money and selling bonds to China.

12 years ago I got involved in the tooling/manufacturing industry, and it has been devastated in that short time. Guys I talk to often wonder if the US will have any manufacturing/tooling knowledgebase/infrastructure in the near future. I guess we can buy our tanks, jets and spacecraft from China too :rolleyes: If you have the time here's a link to a good read about a guy who is still making stuff here:

http://www.weathertech.com/UserFiles/file/Note_from_David_MacNeil.pdf

I agree 100%, but its much easier said than done. Even items labeled "made in the USA" can have a certain content of foreign built parts, or can be merely assembled in the USA, or designed in the USA and built elsewhere (i.e. Apple products) or designed elsewhere and built here (i.e. Mercedes-Benz), and it goes on and on! It really is a world marketplace now, and there are very few products are TRULY made here, unfortunately.

I too have wondered about the future of US manufacturing/machining...it seems a lost art here, and yes it is true (and I as a rather young person can attest) the young generation in the US have little interest those fields. The more manufacturing we send overseas, the more we make our "backbone" a virtual one, that we merely service. We will be MUCH more susceptible to fluctuations or disturbances on foreign soil in the future as our own manufacturing base diminishes, but as long as people are able to buy inexpensive goods, the risk we put ourselves at will be ignored.

Good thing our cars are enough of a niche market that most of the good parts have to be made here ;)

Shut off all foreign trade and if a company went overseas dont let them back in. Let other companys take their ideas. What was said about laziness is correct. I see it every day and it pisses me off. The shop lets out by me at 5:00. You hear the tools hit the floor at 4:45. I will hang out to 7:00 and get more stufff done so the next day I am done and getting new stuff to do. Buy American and save our country.

and now more

thanks guy's for seeing what i am seeing.
the company i worked for i quit 13 yrs ago to start my own machine shop.i am very well known in my field so i talk to people all over the country almost weekly.yes we lost alot of jobs but believe it or not alot are coming back.i have a friend that works for the company i used to.his job is to see if there is any cost savings in bringing work back.(example-press time in china was $7 per hour now it's $29 per hour here it's $45 per hour factor in shipping and garbage rate it's very close to break even.sure we have lost some forever but now by working smarter we are evening up the playing field.)
one of the problems is that they have the exact same equipment that we do.but there it comes down to how you use it.we are a very innovative country but there are people willing to sell our secrets and technology to foreign elements.the work that i do is some days very intense.i do very close tolerance aerospace and medical work.i make one or two parts.can they do that. sorry to say but yes they can. you have a country where the literacy rate is in the toilet but when you setup a machine to run millions of parts it don't matter.
i have been to Japan it is really a site to see the efficiency there but they are in the same boat as us.they also have lost work to china.
did you know that most of the our bases for our drugs come from china?that's scary since the tried to poison our children with lead and cadium only a few yrs ago.
until the leadership in this country steps up to the plate we are screwed.the President i will use that term loosely just formed a panel to invesigate how to keep jobs.well the CEO of 3M just bashed that panel as another waste of time.get Donald Trump in there.we need to stop being lazy as a country and start using our brains for the good of OUR COUNTRY.that means these companies need to look at how to keep jobs here by getting rid of the dead wood on their workforce and to take control of their companies back from the unions (which bred laziness).we can do it.but as long as we have the greedy corporate people that have to wake up it will be longer than we wish.

look at Israel there is some really sick stuff that they have invented.good for them.i am sure they share with us we will probably never know.we need to be more like them.sell our secrets then take'm out back and shoot them.
i could go on for days so thanks again

tom

Work here/buy here

The only way to change our economy is to buy more within our borders Period.:mad:BTW I am Canadian and by as much from US/Can as i can.I just found out that New Balance running shoes that use to be made in Canada went to China and now are made in the USA,:Dguess what I am buying.;)I have always said support our Buick made in the USA supporting vendors:p

Kevin

Good thread. I appreciate the fact others care about these issues too.
I do what I can, when I can. Hope it makes a difference.

The only way to change our economy is to buy more within our borders Period.:mad:BTW I am Canadian and by as much from US/Can as i can.I just found out that New Balance running shoes that use to be made in Canada went to China and now are made in the USA,:Dguess what I am buying.;)I have always said support our Buick made in the USA supporting vendors:p

Kevin
As a side note, they (New Balance) make some overseas. But they also have some models that are "assembled in the USA", and a select few models entirely "Made in USA" for guys like me :D. Same with Red Wings boots. :D

I agree with you. However, if it wasn't for China I don't think the restoratation of our muscle cars could be possible. I know your talking about vendors and Buick parts, but there is so much stuff just not made here. It's a double edge sword, I would love to have bought all the body panels for my Chevelle from good ole USA. The problem, none produced here and if they were they would probably cost triple. It's insane that I have to buy parts made half way around the world. I don't know what the answer is though.