Random Questions

Question... can I use flat top pistons with a turbo or no? If not, I have 2 motors to play with:D... thinking about making one high compression.

Sure you can use a flat top piston Jase. Of course you'll be running at least 12:1 compression or better but what the heck.:D

Well I wasn't sure if that would be over kill... from what I`v heard going with high compression would get me close to 300HP, but would the turbo even be necessary at that point? I`m just exploring all my options before I drop a grand or two into this motor.

I was being sarcastic Jase. With the turbo you do the same thing as bumping the compression up but it's adjustable. I wouldn't do higher than 9:1 if you plan on doing the turbo though. You can also make more than 300HP with the turbo so consider that as well. 1 psi of boost is 10 HP so if you build the engine to get 250 HP and you add 15 psi that means that you've got a total of 400 HP so think about that.:D

I figured you were lol. What do I need to build it up to 250HP? I`m going to start buying stuff for it Friday and I`m starting my shopping list. First thing on my list is pistons and rings, so that`s where this idea started:D... what size cam did you suggest, I know you told me before but my memory sucks.

Are you planning on getting off the shelf pistons or having them made first. Heads will need to be ported to the max and a roller cam is a very good idea. Remember that the basic engine needs to be streetable so there's quite a few factors to consider.

You can have them made?:eek:... I would assume they need to be forged and those cost enough as is. I was planning on porting the heads as much as possible and intake too... wish I could get a hold of Aj... I was going to get an aluminum intake from him:(. Roller cam/lifters are WAY out of my price range right now... in the future I will go that route though. I still need to get a damn BTM, don`t I need an ignition box to go with it?

You and I both would like to get hold of Aj. I send him emails from time to time hoping he'll send one back as well as emails to the guys out in NM to see if they've had contact with him. No luck yet though.:(

You can have custom forged pistons made if you're willing to pay the price. You need to have the block squared up first and find out what the deck height is. You also need to find out the CC of the cylinder heads so the people you choose to make them can get the pistons made right. Do a search for blueprinting an engine so you know what you need info wise to get the parts you want. Everything has to be measured so you can tell the guys what you want and they can make it right for you.

You don't need the the 6A box but the BTM is cheap insurance. Keep looking on evilbay and you should be albe to find a 6A box like I did for $120 or so shipped. It was still NIB but no instructions and you can get them off MSD's site as a PDF.

Since you're going to have to run a flat tappet cam do a little research on what works best. You might PM Turbofabricator or bison to see what they might think will work best in theis case. I prefer a cam biased towards the exhaust with a 112 to 114 LSA but they may suggest something different.:)

So I got an Old`s 350 to hold me over while I build the 3.8, but I noticed on the fuel pump there is 3 line hook ups... what is the middle one for?

I thought so, but wanted to be sure... couldn't I just route it to the line going to the canister or would it be better to just block it off?

Shouldn't really matter but just in case I'd block it off so you don't vent extra fumes under the hood.

The Olds 350 progress... just need to wire the starter and bolt the converter to the flywheel.
1001847qy.jpg

1001845u.jpg

WelI found the source of my bad oil pressure and lifter/rod knock :eek:
1001841t.jpg

1001843d.jpg

1001848a.jpg
[
1001847qy.jpg
[/URL]%20%20Uploaded%20with%20ImageShack.us[/IMG]