Quirks Related to Turbo Regals - Kirban

also,, There's a completely different technique to closing the doors depending on 1) windows up, 2) windows cracked, and 3) windows down. I have to "teach" everyone who's ever riden in my car.:tongue: Then there's closing the door from the outside. No pushing on the glass, or the door itself only the handle. Maybe these are pet peeves(sp) but they relate,,,, somehow.:D
Ross

kirban 2 cents worth

Addressing the 2 above responses. On the power trunk release actually its electric and if the car is unmolested, the power trunk button should be located inside the glove box along the top lip area. Its a simple 2 wire hook.. Originally GM designed it to only operate when the car was "on".

We sell complete kits and with so many sold some people usually install the button in a more obtainable area such as under the dash lip by the driver rather than reaching several feet away. They also wire it to work with the key off like many cars today do. You could contact Gbodyparts.com I am sure he has trunk release buttons.

A quick history lesson on trunk releases. The first ones in the muscle car era at least related to the GTOs which I am very familar with, worked by a very very long cable from the glove box to the trunk latch. Cable and handle was similar to a manual choke set up from the 1950s. Probably much before your time. After that the next system was a vacuum system.

Neither system because of corrosion etc had a long working life span as you can imagine especially the vacuum design. Old custom street rodders of course used a far more simpler system.

In high school I had a beautiful 1956 Crown VIc Ford black and white. May have to ask your folks what that car is but today it is one of the higher dollar 1956 Fords to collect. Anyhow I filled in the trunk lock I ran a rope from the internals to under the rear seat. Primitve by todays standard, but it made for a very clean trunk lid.

My son in high school back in the 5.0 Mustang days removed both his outside door handles made them work by a button under the body on both sides. If nothing else certainily would make a thief stop and think on how to open the outside door!

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

keep the ideas coming as someone above suggested I plan to open another similar thread centered around quirks or unusual happenings when you purchased your turbo regal. Just gotta think up a clever title.

Not sure if this is a quirk or rather a design flaw. Why is it that the center console has a padded lid. Is this for your arm? It's certainly not placed at armrest height- unless you like the "gangsta lean" which I will find myself doing so as to be able to rest my arm on it.

Also, why on t-top covers for the t-top cars? My other T-top cars had covers. Not my TR. It's like an oven...

Now that I think of it, Why all of those light up options where the idiot lights go unsued (ie: power injection, low fuel, etc). I've added the low fuel light one to mine. Actually worked. I generally don't run so low but I needed to drop the tank and didn't have a place to siphon the fuel to...

kirban 2 cents worth

Good points in the above we sell that low fuel warning one of the simplest options to drop in. Actually came in the Rivs. Part of the problem as I see it, many may disagree, but the decision to end rear wheel drive was made sometime prior to the end of 1987 so improvements and changes would not have been a practical profitable move on a car line that was being phased out and the factory shut down.

On the center console it is weird why it is so low. Isn't other GM cars during that same time period higher? I can't remember?

You can see several cost saving measures, our dash for one existed in the Riv so did the heavy GN wheels just a different offset. Heck the funky design of securing the GN center caps to the wheels to me is a quirk. Sometimes you pull them off years later whatever and the metal part breaks away from the plastic portion.

On the plus side the group behind the engine when it was all said and done and working from whatever restraints, costs, etc they had really out did themselves when you compare it against the Monte Carlo SS of the same vintage.

Need further proof check those values against our cars. Also having owned so many with original papers the Monte Carlo SS from what I have seen was one of the most popular vehicles traded in against a Grand National. It is not often a Buick model gets to outshine its counter parts - Chevy in this case.

I am not knocking Monte Carlos SS models, merely pointing out the differences.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Thread is growing amazed how many quirks come to mind.