Quirks Related to Turbo Regals - Kirban

Dennis Kirban

Kirban 2 cents worth

As the title suggests see what quirks I have listed relate to your 1984-1987 Turbo Regal. Or, if you have a "quirk" I have not listed be interested to see what it is. I am sure I have named a few that will pertain to your Turbo Regal. While its true nice cars stand out, for some reason your eyes always seem to pick out or focus on something that doesn't quite look rite.

Here goes:

The back seat where the base and back cushion come together. On some Turbo Regals it seems they run about 1-2 inches short of the cover material and you see the underside material.

The little turbo emblem on the dash bezel. I have seen that hung crooked. Annoying since it stares you right in the face. By the way it is not a stick on emblem, but drilled in.

Got an analog dash? The hole in the clear bezel not very centered on some. Plus would have been neat had they drilled a more precise size hole.

Your steering column see how it seats between the base of the dash. I have seen some that are off center. That can be fixed by loosening the two main bolts think they are 13mm and readjusting it.

The black carpet in your trunk. What did they use to cut that pattern? Everyone I have seen (original) is poorly cut around the opening for the spare.

If you trailer your car and I have had several hundred on trailers ever notice how no matter how you would adjust the bucket seats they do not sit the same? When the car is on a open trailer you can see this clearly in the rear view mirror.

Got a bench seat car? Why is the back portion on such a backward angle?

Jacking directions on the trunk lid. Got one that doesn't have bubbles in it that was glued down properly?

Lites in front bumper can't recall which side but one bezel for it just doesn't seem to seat properly in the opening. May be passenger side.

Under the hood by the heater box the two long decals for emissions and AC are both of yours lined up to each other?

Your leather wrapped steering wheel does it have a single seam on the outer rim or two seams? Was the leather at the end of the roll and they didn't want to waste the leather? Is that the reason for 2 seams?

Your trunk lid is closed securely can you still depress it down? Both inside trunk rubber bumpers need to be adjusted.

You have the factory rear spoiler on the back. Is there maybe one example out there where the end caps line up perfectly with the main center section?

While its true our cars were built with a different "ride" reason for the 4 missing lower body bushings, check the very last body bushing by the end of your frame rail by your rear bumper. I found many 1986 models also lacked that lower body bushing.

You have the factory bucket seats, ever see where one beading along the edge is very very wavy?

You have a center console and over a period of time in the area of the diecast shifter plate the console side padding is starting to bulge out.

You have a 1986 and older Turbo Regal look thru the front of your windshield is the edge (lip) split on your dash pad?

Ever have to tighten up the base collar under your steering wheel? Its 3 small bolts may be like 6 or 7 mm I have done so many I have lost count.

Your car is like new low miles never anything ever in the trunk. Is the cardboard spacer that is attached to your spare sitting under the carpet or on top? Under is correct. That cardboard is to take up the empty space because our cars have the space saver spare and its design is to keep that perfectly cut factory carpet from falling into the opening.

Again you got a mint untouched example GN look on the underside of your main center section spoiler, is there a plug over the end hole for to hide the stud from the spoiler?

You car has the factory power trunk release which is secured by one bolt to your trunk latch. Grab the assembly is it lose?

Speaking of your trunk, if your spare and jack have never been disturbed, I suggest you never remove them. Most everyone would lose at the contest of getting the jack back in 100% to match how GM did it. Even I can't do it 100% correctly.

You have the factory goofy black panel under your dash. It is bowed and it probably has been bowed since day one. If it is a hard plastic it is probably one we used to make years ago.

Your front bumper look at the area at the front lower edge of your grille, you have a grey plastic insert that is attached to your bumper by 3 or 4 of the 10mm bolts. It is also bowed correct?

See how many issues I have mentioned that apply to your Turbo Regal. Got some new ones share them with us.

Do not take this thread as me picking on the car, heck I have owned enough so that is not the reason. Just showing that if you have some of these little "quirks" you are not alone!

On a side note: Few years back when the first C5 Corvettes were being built (1997-1998) they started to have battery problems. They developed a crack by the battery post and the acid would drip down and cause electrical problems. Not every Corvette had the problem and it did not happen right away. They traced it back to the assembly line. Turns out the person in charge of torquing the battery cables on the side posts that he would just tighten it a tad more than it called for.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Owned many a Turbo Regal most had some kind of quirks. I guarantee you that your car has several of the above mentioned "quirks". Its just a matter of how many!

The tilt steering column thing is just a gm thing also chrysler as the columns are identical lol i have made a few bucks over the years fixing these its amazing how many parts fit into a column lol.. also you forgot how the chrome strip on the dashboard always seems to move out of place and how the door handle straps come loose all the time and how the high setting always goes out on the blower motor cause the plus on the harness cooks,how about the way the hoods tend to jam on g bodys so you have to hit it in just the right spot to make it open or the two little dents that you get right at the hood line at the front by the header panel from pushing the hood down with your hands instead if letting it fall to close it ;)

Couple off top o my head....

The center rear hood bumper that sounds like the dash/window cracking when dry.....greasing it stops the noise.

Original seatbelt guides doesnt hold the seat belts...get the closed loop ones from a camaro.

Chrome strip that runs inside the groove on the pasenger side interior walks out over time.

If there is a clunk in the steering under braking, check the upper control arm rear bushing under the downpipe that gets cooked by radiant heat off the pipe and breaks down, even on low mile cars.

kirban 2 cents worth

Back tracking, The door straps talk about a bad idea I doubt they tested that system thousands of times shutting the doors.

Plastic chrome strip in the dash another case where you seldom see them position to stay in place.

Look at 10 Turbo Regals at one time be lucky to see maybe 2-3 with no dent near the crown point of the hood rite?

Person above with the G35 coupe....nice car I had one awhile ago never got use to the power seat control in the inward bolster....traded 04 cobra in on it.

The downpipe issue, we sell a real nice heat shield that Pete Tomka designed to shield that bushing. Worthwhile investment prior to wasting the bushing.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keep the ideas coming

Lil story behind the G35...while stationed in Japan I had a R32 Nissan Skyline thats was hopped up easy 12 second car.
Loved the car but the platform was never released in the US. It was just too much money at the time to bring it back through the one company Motorex that made them to DOT standards.
I vowed I would have another...the G35 is a Skyline in Japan its called a GT350 over there so in a sense I have another skyline.
Even though the G35 has a v6 and the R32 had a I6 the exhaust notes are close.
Its not as fast as my skyline I had by no means but a fine car none the less. Its the wifes ride mostly it has a k&n drop in filter and the JDM clear markers, loaded with everything except Nav.
Hopefully will have a G37 by years end.

Back on track

Another quirp wit the turbo Regals...

Filling the gas tank..... the nozzle keeps clicking off if you dont have the nozzle angle held just right.

Mine has a few of those quirks plus a mirror that likes to ride in the back seat and a trunk mat thats always rolled up against the back of the trunk.I don't mind a few little quirks.

kirban 2 cents worth

One more came to mind. I often wonder the cars with the black out package why did they not follow that theme though with the side marker lites in the headlite bezels? Taillites have it, but not the side marker lites which remained silver/chrome looking.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Gotta quit soon have another dead one to get tomorrow.

Now your going to have every OCD owner going crazy Dennis :)
How about quirks with TR Owners !! I could fill a page ! :D

Only quirk I can think of off hand is that when I fix something, another completely unrelated thing decides it needs fixing. It literally happens every time.:mad:

How about the POS materials they used to make up the center console shifter! I've had the T handle fall off, the center post break, the white thing in the center of the chrome post go out of adjustment and so on.

How about the crooked intercooler mounts? I have not seen a car with an OE IC that sits straight.

How about the crappy design of the IAC mounting point? All of the wires get all smooshed by the maf pipe. Even with the stock dryer hose seems like it was in a bad spot.

Or how about the crappy belt tensioner that seems to break the mounting ear on a regular basis?

Or the near impossibility of sealing the windows to make an airtight seal. Even with the million adjustments, always seems to be a little bit of wind noise coming in.

On some Grand Nationals (Mostly header panels) you can notice metallic flake in the paint due to the paint guns not being cleaned properly.

power antenna's breaking. usually stuck at halfway point

weak U channel part of the frame in the center which is dented in so many of these cars i would assume because of some idiot lifting right there to rotate tires

DK - you thinking about building the perfect TR? :)

Interior lighting, especially on a T-Top car, is weak. Ever try to read the odometer at night while driving?

Not exactly a quirk, but what about the fuel filler/license plate deal? You would think they put it in a Camaro, why not in a "supposedly" upscale make like Buick? They never stay down on their own, no matter how you place the gas cap in the thing. Gotta get a plate holder from a Camaro. Odd they never thought of that.
How about the bench seat that has a hard time returning to "up" once you've pulled it forward for rear seat passengers? Mine seems to do that if I'm parked slightly downhill.
The fact that other GM G bodies got a decent set of gauges, yet with a "performance" model like ours, they get garbage. And an 85mph speedo..lol.

How about the center armrest on bench cars that will never stay tight and always wobbles loose.
Why they spell "Liter" Litre?
Why G Bodies like the GP and MCSS get frame braces, but we didn't?
Drivers side headers that always crack between 3 and 5?

...I love it anyway though!!

kirban 2 cents worth

It appears that owners that posted above can easily think of more than one "quirk".
I wil lback track and address some of them mentioned above. The 85 speedo your rite her we have the fastest US production car for 1987 and the top speed registered is 85 mph. above that you probably spin the needle of.

I think that has to do with that 55 mph temp law that Nixon signed way back when and finally got lifted. Foreign cars registered in the US did not have such laws so they never had that issue. Perhaps someone can verify that. Explains why 55 is in a dfferent color also?

The sad part is the Yugo member them came out in 1986 and guess what their speedo would read higher than the turbo buick. On the down side I would not want to be in a Yugo at speeds over 85 mph even when they were new.

The paint issues is probably most disturbing since its something you see immediately and when the car was new. One reason of couse is conditions the cars were paint in. Building was old and was being shut down after thse cars were built.

As I explained elsewhere in your VIN code is the letter P that P stands for Pontiac which was the final assembly point. While the start of the built was in Flint final assembly was done in Pontiac. From what I understand certian parts were painted in Pontiac which may explain in part why the various problems and paint match issues from the basic body to door jams front end etc.

Again this is from what I understand since car was done in two plants.

I have some of those stay down fold down license plate brackets if you want one PM me direct denniskirban@yahoo.com They are a direct bolt in.

As fo rebuilding a perfect example, as anyone in the restoriation business knows a true restoriation is one that matches the quality and imperfections that were present when the car was new.

As for the shifter handle here is something you may not realize. Dumb luck I know it and only because I had one years ago. That console and shifter design dates back at least as far back as 1978. I had an Olds Cutlass Calais model same shifter set up. Not only does it break but whatever locks it into park can fail also.

Keep the "quirks" coming much more could be enough for a book!

As far as quirks with TR owners I have few having met many and bought their cars naturally I would not use their names but I plan to make that a seperate thread sometime soon. Be mostly humorous. With over 300 bought I got a lot of info.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Keep the ideas coming

Here is one what about the basic design of the lug nuts with the cap (sleeve) used on the T rims and GN wheels?

This is a decision each owner must make if they do a resto. I am sure most owners would definately paint the rear housing and driveshaft just to prevent rust from attacking the important parts under the car.

I have no such ambition however my car has very few options which cuts down on some of the issues or "quirks" as I termed them. Crank windows seem to have less problems than power windows. Fixed antenna is a blessing over the power antenna.

If I remember right, I removed one of the springs on the license plate. Now its much easier to operate. The cap will hold it open as intended. It was like a &^%$ bear trap:eek: Also, my car has a cable going to the trunk release, but no button:confused: Im not going to start on those door strap pulls. How many times have yall had to say NO, STOP, DON'T PULL THOSE......." too late.