quicker spool

87TIGN

Death by boost
I am interested in maybe shooting some cryo of something of the sort in front of the turbo to get it to spool quicker. what is the best way to do this. I guess i don't understand how it all works. Could someone explain it for me? thanks.

if you havent already install a rjc bleeder valve spool up is almost instantanious

got mine right from the maker race jace. www. rjc racing.com. grab one of his power plates while you are at it. both are great pieces and not expensive(under 80.00 each and worth every penny). happy spooling.

I am looking at his site now and found the power plates but cannot for the life of me find the bleeders.... any idea as to what they are under??

cool thanks fellas. So you guys are pretty happy with it huh? Spools way easy?

lpaulabbott said:
if you havent already install a rjc bleeder valve spool up is almost instantanious
I was wondering if the RJC bleeder valve would work on my car with spool up.My boost is controlled by a Racegate underneath the car in between the crosspipe.Would I have to get a Terry Houston Downpipe with the stock type actuator in order for the RJC valve to really work for me :confused:

Sly87 said:
I was wondering if the RJC bleeder valve would work on my car with spool up.My boost is controlled by a Racegate underneath the car in between the crosspipe.Would I have to get a Terry Houston Downpipe with the stock type actuator in order for the RJC valve to really work for me :confused:

Sorry to bust in here but I was wondering the same. Racegate mounted in crossover with knob adjust for boost. Can the RJC valve work in this config?

xrunner123 said:
Sorry to bust in here but I was wondering the same. Racegate mounted in crossover with knob adjust for boost. Can the RJC valve work in this config?
not sure but i am sure rjc will let u know

It will work, but usually the spring in the wastegate isnt stiff enough to keep the gate closed. The exhaust pressure pushes it right open(The boost controller has no effect on this). It will work well if you can keep the exhaust from prematurely opening the gate.

bison said:
It will work, but usually the spring in the wastegate isnt stiff enough to keep the gate closed. The exhaust pressure pushes it right open(The boost controller has no effect on this). It will work well if you can keep the exhaust from prematurely opening the gate.
So I guess having a Wastegate or Racegate like I have near the crossover pipe might be a little more complicated.Maybe if I had the original style wastegate right on the Turbo like stock it would work better :confused: I would have to get a Terry Houston Downpipe for that though.For some reason my boost controller from inside the car doesn't work any more since switching Turbo's so I have to switch something around so I can adjust Boost.

bison said:

Most external wastegates have a diaphram on both sides, so you would not be using only the spring, but also pressure on the back side of the gate. At least that's how I got mine set-up.

Otherwise, you would never be able to get boost over the spring pressure. What would help to keep it closed? :confused:

My spring is only a 9 pound.

lpaulabbott said:
I visited the site and saw the RJC bleeder valve near the Turbo.I also saw what looks like a gauge there right next to it.I have had my setup with the Racegate for so long I can't figure it out but I doubt the RJC bleeder valve would help in my configuration??I definately got a bad setup for quick spooling. :mad: Is there that adjustable rod for the boost like with the Terry Houston Pipe or is that picture with that Turbo and the RJC valve a different configuration too :confused:

Sly87 said:
I visited the site and saw the RJC bleeder valve near the Turbo.I also saw what looks like a gauge there right next to it.I have had my setup with the Racegate for so long I can't figure it out but I doubt the RJC bleeder valve would help in my configuration??I definately got a bad setup for quick spooling. :mad: Is there that adjustable rod for the boost like with the Terry Houston Pipe or is that picture with that Turbo and the RJC valve a different configuration too :confused:
yes i set the wastegate rod to 1/8 to 1/4 inch preload to where it hook on the puck arm then i adjust my boost with the bleeder 1 turn for every pound

turbo2nr said:
Most external wastegates have a diaphram on both sides, so you would not be using only the spring, but also pressure on the back side of the gate. At least that's how I got mine set-up.

Otherwise, you would never be able to get boost over the spring pressure. What would help to keep it closed? :confused:

My spring is only a 9 pound.
I was running a racegate in the crossover on my last engine and i sent pressure to the top of the diapragm and it still would open from exhaust pressure. I just disconnected the side that pushes the gate open and kept the top side pressurized and it still opened around 14 psi manifold pressure. I was dumping the wasted energy to atmospheric and could easily hear it. The larger area on the back of the valve increases the MA of the exhaust pressure allowing it to open under pressure. You will need a much stiffer spring than the 9 lb. I specualte this is why the guys running big gates use CO2 to hold the gate closed until they need it open. Usually via an electronic boost controller. The stock setup would do the same if the wastegate hole was large enough, the valve was big enough, and the diaphragm had a weak enough spring in it, even if you didnt notice. Smaller surface area equals less MA.

Im guessing that I have an electric boost controller that no longer works from inside my car.My boost is stuck at 18# and the boost controller stopped working after a change in Turbo's??I don't know if its broken Boost controller or the change in Turbo's caused it.I'd rather not have the Racegate anymore.It is old(10 years or older) and from what ive heard its not best for spooling of a Turbo because of it being so far from the Turbo.Not to mention if and when changing boost I got to put it on a lift to turn the scew on the Racegate.What setup(external wastegate or other) is best to use for the RJC bleeder valve :confused: