Quick spooling 10 sec turbo?

phillyvader

Looking for some help picking out a streetable quick spooling 10 sec turbo for my 4.1. All info is appreciated would like to hear from the guys with streetable combos, thanks

If it's a 10" of any kind over about 2400@0 you will be driving into it fairly hard if you are making 10 sec power. I've got billet 62's that easily support 10 sec power. They work well I to the 10.80 range with a Garrett .63 ex housing.

Thanks, it's a 12" converter. I'm trying to keep it as a daily driver with the potential to hit a high 10, I also need to shut up a few mustangs around here.. Lol

A 12" isn't going to get it done. Spoolup will be lazy and loosening the converter enough to achieve decent spoolup will result in poor coupling efficiency with 10 sec power. You'd be better of running a stage 3 turbine and running the turbo as hard as you can if you want to keep the 12". It will be tough to make 10 sec power under all conditions.

Thanks Bison... I def want to keep the 12 " so I guess I'm going with the stage 3 wheel. I was just about to get a 5252e .. Glad I didn't.

I just went from a 10" lock up TCI converter to a 9.5" non lock PTC at Bison's recommendation. I have to say that the 10" felt stock and spooled my old TA-49 hard! The new converter still feels very streetable to me and spools Bison's new turbo he put together for me hard and fast. Don't be nervous about swapping converters, drivability won't suffer, but smile factor will increase dramatically!

Tom

Ok lookin into the ptc converter.. I have the trans out now... Anyone need a pats hd converter?? It has maybe 300 miles on it

Talk to me goose... Need more boost to shake these mustangs... Just waiting on Bison with the stage 5 62 billit wheel where you at buddy.....

I also have a 4.1 and I'm happy with my 6262E, garrett .63. Drive it mostly on the street and with the 3200 9x11 it spools almost instantly. Other mods listed in my sig.

My CPT-66 will light the tires up from a dead stop by just punching the gas pedal with my 4.1 and 3200 9/11, and I have a fair size cam.

Talk to me goose... Need more boost to shake these mustangs... Just waiting on Bison with the stage 5 62 billit wheel where you at buddy.....
You won't be disappointed in the turbo from bison. I have the stage 5 62 billet on my car but in a TA housing. I just got it on the car yesterday and have to swap all my smog stuff on the car to get it smogged so it it choked to death but even so the spoolup with a 3Kish stall 9" converter is quick.

Also running PTC non lock on the street (Bison's recommendation), drove car 300 miles one way to turbobuick.com nat's and back, no problems. Old lock -up slipped to much on the top end of the track, after a certain H/P the lock up converter, even though your not locking it with your chip, just don't cut it. Sort of like going down the track with the clutch pedal pushed in a tad... anyway I don't even think about it, it just works. So instead of going through the traps at 6000 RPM, now about 5400 with the non-lock PTC. Like was mentioned before, if your tranny has a weak spot, your about to find it.... ask me how I know...
Sounds like your in for a ton of fun !!!!

Chuck

Also running PTC non lock on the street (Bison's recommendation), drove car 300 miles one way to turbobuick.com nat's and back, no problems. Old lock -up slipped to much on the top end of the track, after a certain H/P the lock up converter, even though your not locking it with your chip, just don't cut it. Sort of like going down the track with the clutch pedal pushed in a tad... anyway I don't even think about it, it just works. So instead of going through the traps at 6000 RPM, now about 5400 with the non-lock PTC. Like was mentioned before, if your tranny has a weak spot, your about to find it.... ask me how I know...

Chuck
Your car would put the smack down on a lot of cars with much more than you have. One of the tightest combos ive seen. Fast spooling and a lot of power out of a few select parts.

Your car would put the smack down on a lot of cars with much more than you have. One of the tightest combos ive seen. Fast spooling and a lot of power out of a few select parts.

I'm not sure if you remember but, when I was building this motor, I asked your opinion on a number of issues, like how would the motor would like 1:65 rockers on a 210/215 roller cam tucked in Champion Iron heads. Then the used 6262 jb came up for sale replacing the old school TE62, and finally the last bit of advice was the PTC non lock. Thanks for all the advice over the years, a good many of us do listen...

Chuck

Chuck

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you like the non lock. I'll never own another lock-up converter.