Question about Boost Juice

Dang... before my dad died earlier this year he had purchased a Snow performance kit for his 87 in October, but didn't get around to installing it before he passed.

It is just sitting in a box, along with another package that has a couple custom made braided hoses. He gave me his GN and warned me to leave the boost at no higher than 14-15 psi unless I ran 116 or installed the Snow unit.

He used to race the GN in the 90s and was part of a group that raced/races Turbo G body cars pretty frequently. They were the ones that pointed him to the Snow kit, but dang, around here it sounds like it doesn't do anything at all. He seemed pretty convinced that it was a good option. I would like to be able to use the thing, it was one of his wishes, but there seems to be a lot of hate for the thing on this board.

I don't plan on turning the thing into the fastest car in town, but does the thing work at all? I can't imagine the group he hung around with would bother if it didn't.

I surely don't want to blow the thing up, I suppose I should find out as much as I can about the car. I didn't know his GN friends, they could tell me more. I know they tore the engine down and did a bunch of work to it and that setup it ran 26 lbs. Ugh... I will read the new owners thread. The kit is labeled 20013GN which I assume is the part number and there is an invoice for 380 dollars.

Dang I wish I had more info on this car and what he did. He had the transmission built with machine work included (he did tell me never to swap it) and all that engine work. I have NO idea about this car other than I have seen it's front wheels off the ground at launch before.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you got a great car. Find that group of friends and pick their brains on what was done to the car. Where you located? Someone here might know it too.

Dang... before my dad died earlier this year he had purchased a Snow performance kit for his 87 in October, but didn't get around to installing it before he passed.

It is just sitting in a box, along with another package that has a couple custom made braided hoses. He gave me his GN and warned me to leave the boost at no higher than 14-15 psi unless I ran 116 or installed the Snow unit..............................

We have a few local GN's using that GN kit and it is a simple, trouble-free system that will do just what you want. Installation is very easy as we just did one yesterday, and can get you pics if wanted.

Any time you add an alky injection kit you MUST be sure that you have ample fuel delivery since when you up the HP level, the engine requires more fuel along with the alky. You should also obtain a new computer chip to work with alky injection.

This kit will allow you to run about 22 psi boost safely, and this will give you a very "spirited" GN for the street!

If the car was running 26 psi at one time, it was most likely on race gas to keep the engine from any damage. :)

Try to learn as much as you can about GN's and especially your's, and feel free to contact me if you need more specific info on the Snow kit or any other area of the GN, good luck and enjoy it!

We have a few local GN's using that GN kit and it is a simple, trouble-free system that will do just what you want. Installation is very easy as we just did one yesterday, and can get you pics if wanted.

Any time you add an alky injection kit you MUST be sure that you have ample fuel delivery since when you up the HP level, the engine requires more fuel along with the alky. You should also obtain a new computer chip to work with alky injection.

This kit will allow you to run about 22 psi boost safely, and this will give you a very "spirited" GN for the street!

If the car was running 26 psi at one time, it was most likely on race gas to keep the engine from any damage. :)

Try to learn as much as you can about GN's and especially your's, and feel free to contact me if you need more specific info on the Snow kit or any other area of the GN, good luck and enjoy it!

That is fantastic. Thank you Nick! Tell me something. Is your car made of some type of high strength rubber/carbon fiber composite? Because in your sig it looks like it is going to break! Does EVERYONE here have a sub 10 second car that allows you to gaze at stars in the evening? LOL! :)

Dad said there were two performance fuel pumps (he claimed that they were in the tank) that he figured they would support running up to 650HP (which I do not believe he has ever done and the volume/pressure is the real measure that I remember) I hope that they are sufficient.

There is an adjustable fuel regulator up by the intake with a gauge on it. It seems to run at around at around 40psi right now.

If there is a specific chip that I can buy, best suited for the Snow injection kit? If so, I will just grab that and eliminate all doubt. 22lbs is plenty of boost for my wishes!. Nick, I will read up like crazy and find out what I can. Thanks again for everything. That is much appreciated.

Here are the chips that were not installed, the other is still in the car. One is marked "93" which I am assuming is octane related, the other is marked "108 R" I cannot read anything on the small print other than the last 4 digits of the "98" chip which reads "8518"

gnchip1.jpg

gnchip.jpg

You're correct the chips are labeled with their octane rating. The 108R is a race chip designed for high octane. It appears to be a copy of a Red Armstrong chip because it says Red 108R His labels never looked quite like that.

Nick is correct, the Snow systems are perfectly fine. They're no better nor worse than any of the others. Just a different way to "skin the same cat".

You're correct the chips are labeled with their octane rating. The 108R is a race chip designed for high octane. It appears to be a copy of a Red Armstrong chip because it says Red 108R His labels never looked quite like that.

Nick is correct, the Snow systems are perfectly fine. They're no better nor worse than any of the others. Just a different way to "skin the same cat".

I disagree with the last statement. There are differences in systems. I'm not a commercial, but different systems do have different capabilities. The Snow system will probably be all he needs for his goals and he should use it since he already has it. If the limits are found, then an upgrade is available when the time comes.

I agree there is more than one way to skin a cat and injecting a knock suppresser is injecting a knock suppresser...However when it comes to our cars Alky Control would be the better choice and I don't think there is any question about that!! The best quality kit out there!! You need to get an updated alky chip as mentioned and the best chip makers for our cars have the alky control kit and the chips working well together....But if you keep the Snow kit it will work....

Hey, I didn't want to start a brand war. I know how these things go. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss out on an opportunity to add something to the car for free! It is just sitting there, asking me to install it. I have a 2005 Cummins Ram also, so I knew the company and what they made, I just didn't realize their exact purpose in the gasoline application. He did for some reason buy some small, likely fuel line grade, braided tubing which was custom ordered in 2 pcs from a hose and fitting outfit.

The thread title caught my eye because there are 2 boxes (8 gallons) of that Boost Juice stuff they make in his garage.

I really appreciate the information guys. I pulled the hood on this thing and I think My 2005 Cummins is EASIER to understand. There are relays, sensors, wires, vacuum lines and tubing everywhere. But you guys already know this :)

I would venture that the chips were actually made in the early 90's. I joined the Navy in 1985, when I was finished in 89 I came home and my dad had already bought and modified the Buick to blow the doors off my very well built 70' Mach 1 and his ZR1 like they didn't have a chance. Things must have improved by now.

Last edited:
Adjustable chips and datalogging is now possible with today's chips. The ability to custom tune the chip is now possible. Wideband O2 tracking can hold an air/fuel ratio nearly perfect. Logging all this info is possible too. Neat stuff. The best thing about using the Alky Control is the support. You'll get the information straight from the man that designed it. For me, that's very important.

I disagree with the last statement. There are differences in systems. I'm not a commercial, but different systems do have different capabilities. The Snow system will probably be all he needs for his goals and he should use it since he already has it. If the limits are found, then an upgrade is available when the time comes.

Yes an upgrade is available, but I hope it doesn't involve a new short block.

Will a snow kit work? I guess it will. Would I personally use one? HELL NO! Snow performance specifically states that unless you use their overpriced BS boost juice they won't warranty the product.

Your kit has the shitty controller that were only available at the time that unit was bought by your dad. If you do end up using that kit make sure you have a S/M to watch for KR.

Yes an upgrade is available, but I hope it doesn't involve a new short block.

Will a snow kit work? I guess it will. Would I personally use one? HELL NO! Snow performance specifically states that unless you use their overpriced BS boost juice they won't warranty the product.

Your kit has the shitty controller that were only available at the time that unit was bought by your dad. If you do end up using that kit make sure you have a S/M to watch for KR.

He bought the unit late last year. In October. So, is there an updated controller that isn't as "shitty" released between late last year and the present? Does anyone know why he would have also purchased a couple of higher quality hoses to go with it?

Dang! Some of you guys have a REAL issue with that product. Like Macintosh and Windows, Niners and Seahawks or MaryAnn and Ginger.

I don't care about the warranty, I didn't pay anything for it in the first place, but it looks like these things aren't really all that expensive to begin with. Can you run straight methanol in it? I will run whatever works best in the thing, regardless of support, but I will be glad to use up the 8 gallons of stuff that the old timer already bought. Taking my time before install to figure out the car, but if you are me, just looking to get what I can out of this kit, which chip do you use?

I can't use either of the chips I have correct? If there is one that will work properly with the Snow kit I would like to use it.

If it's brand new, sell it and buy Julio's alkycontrol kit. I have been through 3 controllers, numerous phone calls and leaking lines on a 30k duramax using junk Snow products. Your dad probably bought upgraded lines because the push lock style lines suck. Heck, I have video of one controller burning up on me on the side of the road. The support you will get from Julio will be outstanding alone. Been using his kits on Buicks since they came out. He doesn't built kits for diesels, so I bought into the hype of Snow and almost cost me my truck.

Sell it, get a Alky control. Snow's pumps can't handle straight methanol. Read up a lot more on thread and you'll decide that Alky is definitely better. What's going to happen, your going to install the snow performance, then the snow is going to give out. Then you'll end up buying the tested and proven Alky control kit. Try calling the owner/engineer/creator of snows product. Goodluck.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

You should get an alky chip as well.

You don't have to buy my system, but there are a few issues to think about.

Reality.. majority of the Turbo Regals will run better if straight methanol is used as the injection fluid. 1000's of cars using a kit, chips made with this in mind, tons of data acquired on thousands of cars.. this "is" the recipe. You can run washer fluid, masengil, isopropyl. denatured, boost juice, you name it.. etc.. but the "easy" button is straight meth. I want to get this out of the loop. Notice I said "will run better"

This leads to system design.. you should knowing this make plans for this type of fluid. That is if you want to follow the simple way to get to easy results. Methanol is flammable, hoses and termination should be handled with a better line and termination than the push-to-connect hose that will leak and possibly burn your car down. The problem is certain kit MFG's pumps have fittings that are push to connect molded into the pumps head. There is no changing that. Issue 1.

Issue 2.. certain kits tie into the MAF for signal.. the MAF on a Buick stops reading at 255 grams. This means when the controller see's 255.. it doesn't add any greater fluid. that is why I run the 3 bar map on the GN kits I mfg. So as the boost keeps climbing the amount injected keeps climbing. The chip makers put enough fuel to support 16 lbs of boost.. the rest of the fuel is the meth kit. So a 25 lb alky chip and a 16 lb street chip have the same duty cycle for injectors. pretty much.

I won't even get into the voltage curving (how the controller ramps voltage vs boost) from a non-Buick specific controller and what I do. This gets back to the "easy" button.

Nick and Dave..you of all people.. its easy to say this is fine when both of you don't run any system. Shame on you for giving poor advice. Do as I say..not as I do :whistle:

He bought the unit late last year. In October. So, is there an updated controller that isn't as "shitty" released between late last year and the present? Does anyone know why he would have also purchased a couple of higher quality hoses to go with it?

Dang! Some of you guys have a REAL issue with that product. Like Macintosh and Windows, Niners and Seahawks or MaryAnn and Ginger.

I don't care about the warranty, I didn't pay anything for it in the first place, but it looks like these things aren't really all that expensive to begin with. Can you run straight methanol in it? I will run whatever works best in the thing, regardless of support, but I will be glad to use up the 8 gallons of stuff that the old timer already bought. Taking my time before install to figure out the car, but if you are me, just looking to get what I can out of this kit, which chip do you use?

I can't use either of the chips I have correct? If there is one that will work properly with the Snow kit I would like to use it.

Do you care about the car?? You didn't pay for that either, but I'm sure you don't want to put marginal at best parts on it do you?

Yes, but for how long is the question.

Sell it or use at your own risk. I looked at those kits for my diesel and did my homework. I read reviews and talked to people who had them. Most of them said they regretted spending the money on an overpriced system, and like said by TT/Ameasap it isn't uncommon for the controllers to crap out and support is horrible.

If you do follow through with using that POS I hope you don't end up with results that others have reported with it.

I know that you will get both good and bad reviews about the snow products, same as you will with any product. What helped me when I was on the fence for my diesel truck was when I talked to an engineer who new what the controller was [ old school technology] from the 90's and what it's limitations were told me to stay away from it because they were junk.

In the end it's your car and you can do what you feel is best for you. I've learned the hard way in the past that trying to save a buck usually cost me ten for not doing my homework.