Push rods VS OHC

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
Just wondering...... is there any advantage to lifters/rods over an OHC engine?

I have a co-worker who rips on the GN motor as it is an 'outdated' design because it uses pushrods.

Would like something to respond with.

TIA

Tell him that overhead cam technology is just as outdated. They're just cost effective to produce now, whereas pushrods were cost effective back in the day.

Top Fuel motors are still pushrod, aren't they? Some of the highest HP motors in racing.

Originally posted by Renthorin
Just wondering...... is there any advantage to lifters/rods over an OHC engine?
I have a co-worker who rips on the GN motor as it is an 'outdated' design because it uses pushrods.
Would like something to respond with.

He's right,
and the OHC's, are outdated.
The electric solenoid operated valves trains are much more sophisticated.
As are Full Plasma ignition systems.

And when I finish getting the bugs out of my flux capacitor design, I'll be able to hit warp 12.

I could enjoy a ZO6 with one of em silly pushrod engines.
Not to mention the Penske Pushrod Indy Engine some years ago that kicked arse. Granted it used some clever rule interputation, but none the less was a pushrod.

And the V OHV pushrod configuration is very compact.

OHC is nothing more then marketing, other then for the most exotic forms of racing, IMO.

Judging by the whiss bang exoticness of F1, and the mind numbling boriness of the show it produces I'm not impressed.

Thanks for the info. For some reason I have it in my mind that pushrod engines make more TQ.

That is to say, all other variables the same. Switch an OHC engine to pushrod and it makes more TQ..... but for the life of me I can not think of why.

I was always told that OHC is just cheaper to maintain as it has fewer drive train components.

This is the same guy who thinks every non-American car company was the first to do this... or the first to do that and that the big 3 are just copying the others.

OHC engines have the advantage of less reciprocating valvetrain weight which allows them to rev higher. Therefore they are more suited for high rpm horsepower and no torque such as small 4 cylinders.

You don't see Briggs & Stratton using mamby-pamby in-head valves, lets just bring back FLATHEADS, put them valves back in the ENGINE where they belong!

:D

(or not)

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
You don't see Briggs & Stratton using mamby-pamby in-head valves, lets just bring back FLATHEADS, put them valves back in the ENGINE where they belong!

:D

(or not)

Darned straight Amigo.:D