PTE Intercooler Pipe alignment with Turbo Compressor Housing

Silverttype1

As title says...having a challenge with my PTE 3" intercooler pipe alignment. Scenario surfaced after replacing my first GN1 aluminum head casting to current casting setup. Running same TA performance stock replacement headers...along with same PTE 74mm DBB turbo... Basically no clearance between intercooler pipe and compressor turbo neck.

Turning/moving turbo alignment, negative results

Has anyone run into this? See pic...

Any suggestions?

Trying to avoid cutting approximately 1" from end of intercooler pipe to compensate.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Turbo compressor neck and PTE intercooler pipe alignment.jpg
    Turbo compressor neck and PTE intercooler pipe alignment.jpg
    806.7 KB · Views: 153
looks like an Hcover on the turbo
have you tried clocking the cold side down a little
i usually just cut about 3/4" off end of pipe and re roll a bead on the end

I have the same design Holset cover on one of my cars with a Precision cast ex housing. Stock manifolds, latest casting GN1 heads, and Precision front mount. It fits like a glove. About an inch between the cover and the pipe and near perfect alignment. I will say that the intercooler is the early design that has the two mounting points on the top that go through the core support. I installed it about 10 years ago and have had stock, T04E, T04S, large E, t04s04, and the Holset style cover on it and they all fit with zero alignment issues. The only difference is the hose used and the gap changes a little with each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you may be on to something here..just went back out to the garage to "relook" at the cold side...sure enough compressor housing side /neck definitely seems to be pointing up more than normal. I had the turbo gone through at Precision -- freshen up if you will...just got it back...looks like the tech may have bolted housing back in this position.

I'll re-clock it tomorrow...thanks!

I have the same design Holset cover on one of my cars with a Precision cast ex housing. Stock manifolds, latest casting GN1 heads, and Precision front mount. It fits like a glove. About an inch between the cover and the pipe and near perfect alignment. I will say that the intercooler is the early design that has the two mounting points on the top that go through the core support. I installed it about 10 years ago and have had stock, T04E, T04S, large E, t04s04, and the Holset style cover on it and they all fit with zero alignment issues. The only difference is the hose used and the gap changes a little with each.

Bison...thanks -- you have the same FM I have...approximate time frame when purchased...I still LIKE this FM!! I'm going to re-clock the compressor side tomorrow night...thank you for both your responses.

ca389b7e819fe32c7f5e6e51bdb46f7e.jpg

Bison...thanks -- you have the same FM I have...approximate time frame when purchased...I still LIKE this FM!! I'm going to re-clock the compressor side tomorrow night...thank you for both your responses.
This intercooler is from 1999. Likely one of the first few they sold

theres a difference between his and yours bison
in his pic he has the valeo dual fans and the pass fan motor ends up right where the ic pipe goes

theres a difference between his and yours bison
in his pic he has the valeo dual fans and the pass fan motor ends up right where the ic pipe goes
So he has a fan problem.