Propane

Clean the hose and pipe up real good with mineral spirits, brake cleaner, etc, get a can of cheap hair spray, spray the pipe, speay the inside of the hose, clamp the sh!t out of it.

Jay,

I am making a custom up pipe for my car since the powerstroke IC install. I think it is in the reduction at the throttle body that is causing my problems.

If this doesn't do it I will get some weatherstrip glue and glue the damm things on! I am real happy with my measly 22lbs of boost right now. A guy in the hog nose trans am didn't like the 22 psi but oh well.

After Monday when I am through fabricating this up pipe I will turn her back up for some real fun...A kid down here has a 440 road runner that he wants to show the tail lights to my friends GN. His GN is almost stock so I said I would be his hucklberry. You know how these kids are when they see a Burgandy Colume shift pillow top regal.

He will learn the hard way....:)

At what boost do you get to see your rods? I think 26 olbs which is 100% more than factory will show you what the 3.8 looks like inside soon. Now I am talking about a stock block with no girtal(sp). I am just sitting here watching and waiting on the first to spit the rods out. 22 psi good and safe 26 psi pushing it.:confused:

If it spits the rods out so be it. Then it will be time to get my Cotton motor. Either way I am going to be happy! This won't be the first car I broke on some gas..Other was on some NOS.

That's The Spirit!

Originally posted by BoostedBug
If it spits the rods out so be it. Then it will be time to get my Cotton motor. Either way I am going to be happy!

Right on, B.B.! Life's too short for any thing less!

Boost Up & Party On! :) :) :)

If you spit the rods out of it, You will sell it like you did the other one ;-) I wasn't really talking about you though as you dont really race that much, maybe 1 time a year Like me? You know we are to old to do it much. I was talking about the folks who do it everyday. I dont think the little v-6's will last at that boost very long. But Steve i have to get you credit, You have did good with this Regal. I knew as soon as you got one you would love it. I am worried about all of those who run them day after day, how long can the rods last? There is alot of pressure on a rod at 26 lbs of boost. Are people buying these just to Street race? If so isn't that asking for trouble? I would also like to see a test between a car running at the track with vp116 in the tank and 22 psi of boost no propain. Get a time and then run it with pump gas and propain at 22 psi and see if there is a difference in E.T's. See I think that maybe something to do with the fuel may make a difference in the E.T's. Will the one with pump gas be faster? Or will it be the Race Gas one?? Bruce Are you reading this? If anyone would know it would be you!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D

Originally posted by Hyper
At what boost do you get to see your rods? I think 26 olbs which is 100% more than factory will show you what the 3.8 looks like inside soon. Now I am talking about a stock block with no girtal(sp). I am just sitting here watching and waiting on the first to spit the rods out. 22 psi good and safe 26 psi pushing it.:confused:

Ehhh....it wont spit no rods out....:)

Vader...

I talked with Joe Lubrant about your little problem. He said with the voluum of air that is going through your motor with that set up is like 4 more lbs of boost. So in a since you are getting the same as myself.

Talks to ya...If you look under chip's forum and see the post Chip Guru's help you can read his reply.

" He said with the voluum of air that is going through your motor with that set up is like 4 more lbs of boost."

Duhhh!!:p

Originally posted by BoostedBug
Vader...

I talked with Joe Lubrant about your little problem. He said with the voluum of air that is going through your motor with that set up is like 4 more lbs of boost. So in a since you are getting the same as myself.

Talks to ya...If you look under chip's forum and see the post Chip Guru's help you can read his reply.

Is that even with my lower timing 93 chip compared to your higher timing chip....i think you said 22 degrees on yours, i run 18 degrees......what boost should i shoot for then....i guees 20 would be a solid number but im knocking at 17....I spoke with Jay and he said my bottle psi is too low....he said the bottle should at least be 20 psi higher than the regulated psi...ill do some more testing this weekend.

A bit ago, someone mentioned using Alc and PPain. Any imput on that Jay?
Also, I've heard it's a bad idea to add Alc before the intercooler because it condenses and collects there.

Thx,
Guy with a Honda.

i am not jay but..

nearly no one who has the propane kit has reached a level where they are getting unacceptable knock.

I have not read ONE PERSON say "well... i hit the limit today.. 30psi.. got 5* knock"

every single person whos said anything seems to have said they are over 25psi and blowing off IC hoses, one guy is at 30psi or something, no knock problems.

basically there is no point to run alky and propane... if you already have alky, sell it and that'll take some of the cost of the propane kit off..

two examples of what i mean:

I have been using Jay setup for a monthe now. I have been as high as 26psi with only a .5 knock. Then I went into blowing IC hoses off and have since backed it back down to 22 psi on 93 octane. I get zero knock. even locking the convertor up in high gear. I run a Lubrant 22psi chip and 22 degrees of timing for my 93 octane.

finally began tuning my Pro-Pain kit today! After 4 0-80mph runs i am able to run 20 psi of boost now with no knock. thats 5psi more than i could run previously on pump gas. The only thing that is limiting me from running more is the lack of a heavy duty actuator (hopefully it will arrive tomorrow) and a bottle warmer.

propane alone is more than enough

Originally posted by TType84
i am not jay but..

nearly no one who has the propane kit has reached a level where they are getting unacceptable knock.

I have not read ONE PERSON say "well... i hit the limit today.. 30psi.. got 5* knock"

every single person whos said anything seems to have said they are over 25psi and blowing off IC hoses, one guy is at 30psi or something, no knock problems.

basically there is no point to run alky and propane... if you already have alky, sell it and that'll take some of the cost of the propane kit off..

two examples of what i mean:
propane alone is more than enough

Actually i think i may be at that level at only 20 psi

:(

Vader 87 You should postn the new combo. Apparently you have ported heads? You have more air in there than it first appears. 4-5 'more psi worth'. Just look at the flow difference from stock heads, and take a percentage.

If it makes you feel better, I got 22-23 psi tops (in brief testing). Try Jay Carters' chip. It worked great in my car.

As far as the 30 psi people have run, let me just say that there is such a thing as 'empty boost'. For example:

Dennis Hogan, using alum. heads, and alchy injection ran a 10.97 with pump gas. 18-19 psi boost. through full exhaust as well. Now there is a guy that can tune, and set up a car!

Then there is me last year. (before the accident that nearly totaled my car) Before I went 2-stage with alchy injection I ran a 13.1 @ 99 mph. 1.74 60' time, Alum heads, with 22 psi. I believe my pt-51 was on the way out then, (since replaced after finding the exhaust fins all burned out from accidentially running 28* timing, but that's anpother story) and I was flooding the plugs with too much alchy. (We shall see what better times come in the spring...:))

13.1? 99 mph? This is what I mean by 'empty boost'...:)

Realize this was through alum. heads as well! The equivelant of 26 psi on stock heads....

Every once in a while I hear of someone getting better times from turning the boost down. AnArkey was one of them I believe...

Soon the race results will be in. That is when you, me, and everybody else will know the true value of propane injection. Until then, don't worry about boost numbers. The numbers at the end of the track are the only ones that count! ;)

It might be an even shorter wait than you think.

Originally posted by JayC
It might be an even shorter wait than you think.

Jay, Not to be a public pest... but, have you had a chance at looking into my email regarding new programming for my Buick?

If you are mad busy I don't mean to be steppin' on any toes here... just a touch excited. ;) :D

Thanks,

If people are using intercoolers, then then air temp is still a concern. Often times, you can use Alc/H2O injection in place of an intercooler. If I were to do so, I wouldn't have to worrie about blowing off an intercooler hose.
8o )

Originally posted by emrys
If people are using intercoolers, then then air temp is still a concern. Often times, you can use Alc/H2O injection in place of an intercooler. If I were to do so, I wouldn't have to worrie about blowing off an intercooler hose.
8o )

Sure you would, you still need a hose to connect the pipe from the turbo to the plenum. Its still the same thing, just with 2 less hoses.;)

if you REALLY want those hose connections to stay on.. how about putting a little bit of lemon joy soap first..

isnt that what alot of guys use to seal tire beads?