Propane

None of the 3000GT kits have shipped yet. The dealer received kits last Monday and has been out of town all week. He should be back on Monday or Tuesday and the initial kits will go out at that time.

Just got my car back from the mechanic yesterday. The propane kit is installed I will take pictures the first chance I get. he said he tested the car at 20lbs of boost with no knock but when I drove the car I couldnt get the boost past 19 and I turned the boost up to about 25 lbs but it wont pass 19 lbs I tried every setting on my chip I have the ultra chip with 7 settings. at setting 4, 17 lbs max at 5 and 6, 18 lbs max and at setting 7, 19 lbs max and thats with the boost knob in the car set at about 25 lbs im stumped. But then again im not a mechanic what do I know. I will keep you posted. Its probably the chip but I dont know.

Tony

P.S its great to have my car back !!!!! :D

Perhaps you need a high boost actuator to get the boost to go that high?

Originally posted by JayC
Perhaps you need a high boost actuator to get the boost to go that high?

Ugh, who me?.
<snicker, snicker>
Just so happen to have one on the shelf.
The Kit should be leaving PA, just about now.

I figure you'll be running 40 PSI on pump gas by this time next week ;)

I figure you'll be running 40 PSI on pump gas by this time next week ;)

I'd be happy with 34-36.
OK, thrilled.

Maybe in Cardiac arythmia.

Originally posted by Downtown
I have had the second prototype kit that Jay did on my car for a little over 8 months now. I just refilled the tank last week ($6) after between 60 and 80 passes of strip and street testing. The car is also driven on the street a couple of times a week with the tank on.

We have tried lots of combinations of tank pressure, jet size, and boost levels for the system to come on. I can run around 23 to 24 lbs of boost with Turbo Link showing "0" knock counts. I used to get some knock counts on the way up to max boost, but the bigger jets solved this problem. This is with 93 octane gas and a Jay Carter 93 octane street (non-Variable Timing) street chip.

I have picked up almost 3 MPH in track testing over my previous street setup of a Variable Timing street chip and 20 lbs of boost. I have not run the car with race gas and a race chip to see how it compares, but will be doing so soon.

My setup is stock 100,000 mile long block, PT-51, THDP, 009's, stock IC w/big neck, ATR 2 1/2" exhaust. With my previous setup and good (not great) launches it was a consistant 12.60 car. In track testing the propane, I never worked on getting a good 60' time so I really can't give a good ET comparison. I did run a best of 12.47 with propane and a high 1.8 60' compared to a best of 12.53 and a 1.65 60' with my old setup. On my car 1/10th in the 60' yields 2/10th's at the big end, so THEORETICALLY, I would be running 12-teens with the addition of Jay's propane kit and my good launches.

Were your original runs done with race gas and a street chip?

All my testing/comparisons are based on pump gas and a street chip. I made it where the only variable was the addition of propane.

I tried a Variable Timing chip and saw no gains and a race chip was too much. I have a chip that Jay just made for me that is specific for propane, but have not tried it yet.

so i guess an all out race chip is out of the question then.....i wonder how a maxeffort setup would perform?

I saw Matt was selling your kit on his website, JayC.

I havent heard to much of the 3000/stealth guys running your kit yet.

ALthough there was that guy selling the cheaper kit, Import power online (or IPO, he was on this board a little too) He was some test data posted over at 3si.org and on his website.

so whats the most extra boost anyone has squeezed out of propane kit? 7psi? (17-24)?

If i could squeeze out an extra 7 psi from my 10psi i have know id up HP levels from 512 to 750rwhp:eek:
realy id be happy with an extra 4 psi on pump

Most of the people have run out of physical boost adjustment before they encountered detonation. I believe Steve Waters went from 17 PSI to 26 PSI. I had a tester who went from ~14 PSI to 24 PSI.

Most everyone has been able to increase 7-9 PSI and go to a more aggresive chip timing wise.. usually a 4 degree increase or so.

Originally posted by smokinHawk
thats amazing. just on propane alone or is that with an addition of the alki kit?

Thats propane alone...propane and alky are an either, or, setup....you get one or the other.

Most of the people have run out of physical boost adjustment before they encountered detonation. I believe Steve Waters went from 17 PSI to 26 PSI. I had a tester who went from ~14 PSI to 24 PSI.

Most everyone has been able to increase 7-9 PSI and go to a more aggresive chip timing wise.. usually a 4 degree increase or so.

Yo Jay... you gotz mail on a new propane friendly chip for me... hit me back wouldja? ;) :) :D

Thank ya,

Originally posted by Vader 87
Thats propane alone...propane and alky are an either, or, setup....you get one or the other.

I run propane and am about ready to build a DIY 50/50 water/alcohol injection (washer fluid) system to inject pre intercooler in the LICP, to combat heat soak in the IC. Is there some reason this would be inadvisable?

Thanks

Joe

Originally posted by joereitman
I run propane and am about ready to build a DIY 50/50 water/alcohol injection (washer fluid) system to inject pre intercooler in the LICP, to combat heat soak in the IC. Is there some reason this would be inadvisable?

Thanks

Joe

go for it....keep me informed!

I am out of town at the moment so I wont be checking emails until Monday. As soon as I get back, I'll send you a reply.

I am out of town at the moment so I wont be checking emails until Monday. As soon as I get back, I'll send you a reply.

Sweet. Thanks Jay. Have a good weekend! :)

joereitman

I have an alky setup, and can't tell you the compatibility with a propain kit. But I think injecting alky/water on the inside of the intercooler won't be too effective, as the evaporation of the water will just mean hot steam entering the intake, with the heat not being able to escape. I think the idea behind water injection on the outside of the intercooler is so the water as it turns to steam carries away heat from the IC and into the atmosphere. HTH.