Powerlogger and Widows CE - Can It Be Done?

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
My son got me a Sylvania Netbook that has a Widows CE operating system as an early Fathers Day present. His thinking was that I could use it with my Powerlogger.

This thing only wieghs 2.5 pounds and would save the cost and hassle of installing a secured laptop gizmo in the car so I said to myself, "Self, do ya think anybody has ever used one of these as a P/L computer?"

So I ask all of you, can this be done?

Any help would be appreciated.

never tried it. I'm not sure how CE is different than the other flavors of windows.

give it a shot and let us all know.

Bob

Well, I copied all of the P/L files onto a SD card, put it in the netbook and tried to open the program using PLC icon.

It tells me "PLC is not a valid Windows CE Application".

So I'm stuck. A computer Guru I am not............

I did a little digging, and there is no way I can find to run it on a Win CE machine.

Bob

Dang!

Oh well, thanks for trying.
Guy Cunningham
aka TurboTGuy

(Somebody should update that old software to make it compatible, that would be cool, and I'd pay to buy it.) Hint, Hint.;)

Unfortunately, Windows CE or Windows Embedded CE, was developed for embedded systems. Embedded systems, your engine controller is an embedded system, like CE runs a Real-Time Operating System and use very little memory. Unlike Windows, which is non-deterministic OS, Windows CE is a deterministic OS. That is what makes a PC different from and embedded or real time system. A PC with massive HD and RAM can supports tons of applications and device drivers, however, when launching an application or booting Windows it takes as long as it needs. An embedded system with a Real Time Operating System has timing constraints and must perform a given task within a specified period of time or risk catastrophic failure. Of course that would not be the case with a NetBook, but think of an ABS system on a car or airbag modulator or life sustaining medical equipment. Theese controllers have to read sensor inputs and make decisions on those inputs every 1 to 10 milliseconds and handle interrupts during that period of time. Windows OS is just to massive to this deterministically. The kernel of Windows CE in size is less than 1MB. However, if you are ambitious enough there are development tools out there and perhaps with SD memory you could write the necessary device drivers and API to get PL to work with your Netbook.
LabView is a graphical programming language that can be used with CE. It has built driver block sets, I wonder if I could use LabView to create the necessary device drivers and API for PL to run on your NetBook. I'll ask around. I'm sure it can be done, but it would take the correct level of expertise. However, at the end of the day, it might be easy and cheaper to buy a laptop and stand.

However, at the end of the day, it might be easy and cheaper to buy a laptop and stand.

Well, I understood that part, anyway. :)

If you can make it happen with via all that newfangled LabView stuff you were talking about up there, I bet there would be more than a few here that would be willing to pay for the program/app.

If you try it, let me know....... I'll be you beta tester.

Well, I understood that part, anyway. :)

If you can make it happen with via all that newfangled LabView stuff you were talking about up there, I bet there would be more than a few here that would be willing to pay for the program/app.

If you try it, let me know....... I'll be you beta tester.
Well, I had a lot of rambling in there, but my point was it could be done with a person who has the correct skill set. The effort though, might not be worth it.