portable mig welders any good?

VADER

Little engine that could
I was looking through pop mech magazine and they had cheap portable welders. I was thinking i could use this to weld relocation brackets on the rear diff. Anyone ever try these? Harbor freight has one for $90. I wonder if it will do the trick.

I have a Lincoln 110v portable and it works great. It was quite a bit more than the $90 HF one though.

A couple items:
1. As mentioned above, get the better welder.
2. With the cheapo, you may have problems getting consumables. It's most likely a flux core welder, and can produce a <good weld on a part that needs to be done RIGHT.
2A. when in doubt, refer to item 1.

look into the Lincoln easy mig, it is 300 bucks and will do flux or gas welding. Its 110v and should do what most home diy'ers need it to do. This is the one im going to buy. Sears(on line store sells them)

Where on the dirr are you planing on welding? If it's the center section you will have penatration issues wven with mutiple passes. If you're planning on welding on the tubes you really need the better welder, and a bigger one will work even better. Make sure that the circuit you put it on can handle the extra power or you will pop the breaker all the time.

I was looking through pop mech magazine and they had cheap portable welders. I was thinking i could use this to weld relocation brackets on the rear diff. Anyone ever try these? Harbor freight has one for $90. I wonder if it will do the trick.

Please think about what you are doing. You are welding the brackets that HOLD the REAR-END in the car. Please make sure it's done right. If you can't afford a better welder to get it done right then spend the money to pay someone who has the equipment to do it right. Your car will thank you. :smile:

A general rule of thumb is "if you buy cheap, you get cheap"! Not a fan of harbor freight made in china stuff!

Yes, I was thinking about welding the brackets to relocate the control arms. I never thought about doing it myself, but i saw the article, and figured I could do it. However, after listening to you guys, i'll pass on it. I just need to find someone local, like I have been on and off for like 5 years. :)
Thanks for the help!

Don't be discouraged~!

While the locating of your rear axle is of critical importance to your survival among other things, welding is a valuable skill to have!
If you have any other, less safety oriented welding project's that you can dream up, buy a decent beginner's DIY welder, like the others have said and go nutz!

If you're like me, you'll have three different types of them, all quality pieces, and all on rolling carts that you made as projects with each new welder, just waiting for you to enjoy any time you get the (st)itch!!!!:D