Pocket Programmer help needed...

J Banning

Quench my thirst with C16
Problem: When burning a new chip, I get a "device did not program" error.

I'm using the following hardware:
- Pocket Programmer II
- UV Eraser
- 27C512 chip (MaxEffort ME-R)

The process I’m following is:
1. Erase the chip with the UV eraser.
2. Start the Pocket Programmer software, and then insert the chip into the programmer.
3. Verify that the device is erased and get a “device erased” message.
4. Select the chip type (27C512).
5. Load the buffer.
6. Select Program Device, and this is where the problem lies. It appears the first half works ok, but then it looks like it is verifying the burn and that’s where I get the “device did not program" error.

What am I doing wrong?

I've tried this with several chips and continue to have this problem. Is the process I’m following wrong? Is there a step I’ve missed?

Thanks,
-Banning.

Are you trying to burn in an ME-R image?

Have you tried burning a 2732 with a stock type image just to test the hardware?

Well, steps 3 and 4 are backwards :). You need to select the chip type before it can really verify the erase. I don't think that's your problem, however. What operating system and what is the name of the program you are using for the PP (is it the old dos version or something like winppd)? Oh, how long are you erasing the chips for? Should need about 20 minutes for that. What is the file size on the .bin chip image? Are you doing this at home or running everything off an inverter in the car? I have one inverter-laptop combination that just doesn't want to work, but that inverter and another laptop, or that laptop at home plugged into the wall are just fine.

Are you trying to burn in an ME-R image?

Have you tried burning a 2732 with a stock type image just to test the hardware?

A) Yes.

b) No, but I can try.

I had another person suggest that perhaps the power supply was flaky and to try another one.

Well, steps 3 and 4 are backwards :). You need to select the chip type before it can really verify the erase. I don't think that's your problem, however. What operating system and what is the name of the program you are using for the PP (is it the old dos version or something like winppd)? Oh, how long are you erasing the chips for? Should need about 20 minutes for that. What is the file size on the .bin chip image? Are you doing this at home or running everything off an inverter in the car? I have one inverter-laptop combination that just doesn't want to work, but that inverter and another laptop, or that laptop at home plugged into the wall are just fine.

Carl,

A) Regarding steps 3 & 4, as the program boots up (the default program that comes with the Pocket Programmer) the 27C512 chip type is already selected.

B) I'm running WinXP on my laptop at home (not in car). The programmer connects via the paralel port.

C) I can try another laptop tonight. I've burned chips before with this burner, but I've been having this problem a lot. It sucks because every time it happens I have to erase the chips again (two 8 minute sessions).

The Pocket ProgrammerTranstronics, Inc.

I-PP2A.jpg

Yes, it is definitely nice to have 4-6 chips so you can be erasing some while using others. Only other suggestion I have it to try programming while running the laptop on its battery, so the laptop power supply isn't even plugged in anywhere. Good luck.

Problem fixed.

What I did:
- Used another laptop (mine instead of my buddy's).
- Ran the chips through the eraser again (two 8min sessions).

Of the three chips I tried to program, two worked fine and one would not. Perhaps this one is bad?

Note: When you select the chip type in the Pocet Programmer software, the "bad" chip would only allow "27C512 National" to be selected. The other two chips worked fine with just "27C512".

Regardless, I accomplished what I set out to do.

Thanks for the help guys. See ya at the track!
-Banning.

I had one of those programmers catch on fire on me several years ago. Keep an eye on it :)

I find that if you keep the chip in the eraser toooo long it messes them up. I just keep em in the eraser long enough to pass the blank chip test.

Everytime they have sat too long in the eraser.. they wont program/give errors.

HTH