PICS OF MY NEW BILLET JOURNAL 6262 TURBO......

Whats the entry fee for one of those? Beautiful turbo too. Thinking about doing some upgrades to my TE-62.

Loving the billet 6262 I just received from Bison! It's one spooling turbo for sure.

Hey Brian, whats the difference between the MFS 62mm Compressor wheels [like seen in this thread] and the CEA Machined Billet wheels that have all the "lines" in them? Are the maps similar?

aaron

Hey Brian, whats the difference between the MFS 62mm Compressor wheels [like seen in this thread] and the CEA Machined Billet wheels that have all the "lines" in them? Are the maps similar?

aaron
The lines are from point milling. Ive never seen a map that I would call legitimate from either. Mapping compressors is very expensive and in most instances is mis-understood. Point milling is MFS also and has a longer cycle time and has advantages in some instances especially if you're trying to squeeze every last bit of potential out of a compressor. That potential is rarely realized since everyone thinks that bigger is better or the wheels are simply mis-matched with the turbine. If you want a point milled titanium wheel that can provide a very high mass flow potential let me know. If you have to ask the price it's not for you.

The lines are from point milling. Ive never seen a map that I would call legitimate from either. Mapping compressors is very expensive and in most instances is mis-understood. Point milling is MFS also and has a longer cycle time and has advantages in some instances especially if you're trying to squeeze every last bit of potential out of a compressor. That potential is rarely realized since everyone thinks that bigger is better or the wheels are simply mis-matched with the turbine. If you want a point milled titanium wheel that can provide a very high mass flow potential let me know. If you have to ask the price it's not for you.
lol... Thanks..... but i'm saving up for head/cam work ;)
I just wanted to know because i have seen MFS 6262's both ways with and without the textured lines. How are the smooth variants manufactured to keep the blades smooth?

aaron

Scott,
The 6262 dropped my car to way below the roll cage line, and before I put it on I had the TE-62 and was running 11.6's no other change at the time.
Chuck

Everyone seems to be raving about these turbos. Any reason to go with a ball bearing instead of journal?
Looking to upgrade mine as mine's almost 10 years old

BB is only going give 3-400 rpm gain in spool. Biggest gain is the turbo lasting if exposed to north of 28 psi vs. the JB

BB is only going give 3-400 rpm gain in spool. Biggest gain is the turbo lasting if exposed to north of 28 psi vs. the JB

Excellent. Good to know. Don't really plan on spinning it that high so it looks like a JB would be good for me!

I thought life began at 30psi! Why does the BB hold up better? I know nothing about the physics of a center section. Is it something with the larger wheels that a JB can't take a beating anymore at high boost? I run my lil guy at 30psi a lot. It's held up well. And I am seriously looking for an education.

I'm not saying its like a omg the jb gonna go boom it can't handle it but...the BB is the stronger of the two

North of 28? Why not 19psi or 35psi? It's true a ball bearing cartridge can handle a lot more thrust load than a journal cartridge but 28psi is not the correct reference point. The thrust is equal to the sum of the forces in both directions with one being a negative and one being a positive. If you attempt to run a 62mm compressor on a 230ci engine that flows 45lbs/min at 30psi you are going to have a lot more thrust than the same turbo on an engine flowing more air. The compressor wheel is trying to pull through the compressor inlet and the ex wheel. Is trying to pull itself out the ex outlet. In addition the compressed air in the cover iis acting on the backside of the compressor and the ex pressure acting on the back side of the turbine. The surface area and the pressure can be calculated. If the compressor is run in surge the pressure behind the compressor wheel will spike very high. Car manufacturers have used journal bearing setups forever. There's a reason for it. They last a long time if fed clean pressurized oil and not operated above the surge line.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app