Ordering parts!!! But lets Make sure I got this right

Onalky87

When I buy my champion ported irons. The ones that r $1200 Is it worth paying champion to do more porting on them with my setup? Stock bottom end

Also is there a better roller cam or cam kit then just buying a comp cam kit for $840 So like buying the cam and everything separate? Bc I already have the rollmaster timing chain that is brand new social wouldn't need the one from the comp kit.

I hope I was clear with everything My goals r in my sig but if more port work and a better cam kit will get me past that then I wanna do that then

What have you run already? How are you tuning it? Power Logger?
Tune is more important than just some parts to get max performance.
Time & Patience at the track with a PL is the key to doing your tuning.

I have no doubt I won't get every hp and ET/mph out of the car, Bc Otto is doing my dyno tuning. Then I'm Gunna see if he's able to hook it up to a power logger and run it at the track

My OP was to see if theres Nething I can docto make my goals happen easyier

Yes it will be worth the money to get champion to port your heads !

Ok. I mean I no know there cncd ported irons r amazing as they come but if I can get more power(20-30hp maybe but who knows) by having them port then more then I wanna do it. I was just worried that them porting them more would raise the peak hp rpm and take me out of where the cam,turbo,TC want it to be

use the champion ported heads right out of the box.. lots have gone 9s with them .

Well, if you are having Otto do your tuning, why don't you just ask him to give you a list of mods he would like to see so you can get the HP you want.

Well, if you are having Otto do your tuning, why don't you just ask him to give you a list of mods he would like to see so you can get the HP you want.

True. He did the Cutlass in the GM High Tech Magazine and it runs well. Look it up and ask him about it. It seems to run like you want yours to run.

use the champion ported heads right out of the box.. lots have gone 9s with them .

Ok Thanx. I'll keep them as they come then. I was just curious Bc I see some people running good times and there sigs say "race ported champion irons"

Even though I don't plan on running 9s, mainly Bc I don't have the turbo,injectors,fuel pump, and bottom end for it haha

Ok. I mean I no know there cncd ported irons r amazing as they come but if I can get more power(20-30hp maybe but who knows) by having them port then more then I wanna do it. I was just worried that them porting them more would raise the peak hp rpm and take me out of where the cam,turbo,TC want it to be

You wont get more out of any decent ported iron head vs another. Your limited by rpm with a hydraulic cam not airflow. The ported heads will flow more air than the engine will use with the stock spring setup with a hydraulic. Id be looking at things like running a thinner head gasket, verifying ignition timing/cam timing, and running the correct octane/amount of alky for your cylinder pressure. Which id hope you are going to run at least 25psi if your looking for power. With good heads and cam 30whp will be less than a 2psi increase in manifold pressure. The more boost you run the further you can take a given cam before you run out of usable rpm.

You wont get more out of any decent ported iron head vs another. Your limited by rpm with a hydraulic cam not airflow. The ported heads will flow more air than the engine will use with the stock spring setup with a hydraulic. Id be looking at things like running a thinner head gasket, verifying ignition timing/cam timing, and running the correct octane/amount of alky for your cylinder pressure. Which id hope you are going to run at least 25psi if your looking for power. With good heads and cam 30whp will be less than a 2psi increase in manifold pressure. The more boost you run the further you can take a given cam before you run out of usable rpm.

It's a factory assembled bottom end still. So I'm sure I don't wanna rev it past a certain rpm correct?

Brian, asa u confirm this I'm Gunna order parts...which comp cam
Spec do I want for my needs. 212/212? Goals r 128mph+ and low tens if it'll hook and pull well down low. Going to run 27psi. (however if I can get more out of my unopened bottom end I definatly wanna do that) so whatever combo u recommend I'll buy

Or do you recommend a different cam spec or setup all together?

It's a factory assembled bottom end still. So I'm sure I don't wanna rev it past a certain rpm correct?

Brian, asa u confirm this I'm Gunna order parts...which comp cam
Spec do I want for my needs. 212/212? Goals r 128mph+ and low tens if it'll hook and pull well down low. Going to run 27psi. (however if I can get more out of my unopened bottom end I definatly wanna do that) so whatever combo u recommend I'll buy

Or do you recommend a different cam spec or setup all together?

You wont hurt a stock bottom end running 128mph in the quarter if the tune is good with zero detonation. I had one that lasted a long time and i ran it at 33psi for about 3 months before the #1 piston failed. It was likely around 700whp at that boost. It had about 2 years of heavy street action on it prior to the 33psi at 600+whp. I ran 110/alky with 22* the entire time. 212/212 is plenty. It wont make usable power past 5700 with the 6776 unless you really lean on it.

Ya I kinda figured I'd have to spin it to 5800ish

So is the 212/212 good. Or maybe the 210/215? Idk maybe I'm just making it more complex then it needs to be.

What valve springs do I want with it?

Aluminum heads will make you faster?

all I'm saying is if your gonna put out $1200 for champion ported irons, and then spend another $300 to $500 on extra porting of the irons why not just go with aluminum heads. For practically the same price, I would personally rather have aluminum heads. Even if your running the same amount of airflow through the heads (being restricted by cam/rpm) don't you get better combustion temps with aluminum heads?

just my 02 cents

all I'm saying is if your gonna put out $1200 for champion ported irons, and then spend another $300 to $500 on extra porting of the irons why not just go with aluminum heads. For practically the same price, I would personally rather have aluminum heads. Even if your running the same amount of airflow through the heads (being restricted by cam/rpm) don't you get better combustion temps with aluminum heads?

just my 02 cents

That's a good point. If I can buy alum gn1s with the correct cam or irons with the correct cam n get more power from the alum I will so it. Using both heads like then came outa the box

all I'm saying is if your gonna put out $1200 for champion ported irons, and then spend another $300 to $500 on extra porting of the irons why not just go with aluminum heads.
just my 02 cents

I didn't think Champion did an extra port work to the irons :confused: AGAIN people have gone in the 9s @ 139+ with irons out of the box. Why look further??

I know the alums look cool. Can't believe how guys spend so much OVERBUILDING engines. :rolleyes:

The aluminum GN1's offer a CNC port option. I wonder how those would compare to the Champion iron heads.

The aluminum GN1's offer a CNC port option. I wonder how those would compare to the Champion iron heads.

The GN1 flow more than the irons do right out of the box. So why would a street guy go ahead with more $$$$ to do more work to heads that work great ? I guess if ya run 9 with the Champion irons outta the box you'd prob go low 9s with the GN1s outta the box :p