on center_off center??

turbo3.8aussie

Hey guys i,m just wondering what the difference is between oncenter and off center 3.8 engines???
I am from australia and have never heard the terms ever used about our engines here thats for sure.
Any help would be greatly appreciated before i waste any cash buying parts!.
cheers DAMO.

The pistons are around .120" off set in relation to crank pin center. Front of motor is also shifted, so accessories like the power steering do not fit both blocks. The crank, and cam are the same in both blocks. A different intake manifold is required for the two. Easier on the con-rods for the piston to be centered, but that's not how we have it from the factory.

The Classic 3.8L V6 is offcenter, as explained above. The newer 3800 Series I-IIIs are on center but there is about 0 interchange between the 3800 and 3.8L.

Because the 3.8 was made from a "cut-off" V8, the crankpins were split to produce the "even fire" version of the engine. The little flange in the middle of the crankpin that separates the two throws means that the connecting rods are shifted to one side, and are not under the middle of the piston. When the 3800 engine was made, it was redesigned, to make it better, I guess. It may be also that the V8 was slightly off center to start with, I don't really know about that.