On a budget for a turbo..witch one is best?

rlamas

I'm on a budget for a turbo but I'm still looking for a good upgrade without having to change the torque converter just yet..the car is a daily driver still basic stock 89 TTA 55,000 miles 28lbs injectors (I'm upgrading to 42lbs with matching chip from TT later) I just want something that will support mid to low 12 in the 1/4 mile, I've narrowed it down to these two but if you have any other suggestion please feel free to tell me

The one from gbodyparts I was looking either the TE34 or the TE44

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1005&osCsid=5774d926182acbab5c1bcc19c6a37780

Kirban TA49

http://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/155/LIMIT+ENGINEERING+INC.+UPGRADED+TA-49+TURBO+#6849.html

Please give me your opinion on witch one you would get or if there is another one you would rather recommend, also what kinda power gains will I see by just drooping in a turbo on a stock engine..

The Stock turbo is good to mid to low 12's in the 1/4 mile.

You don't gain much with a larger turbo until you turn the boost up above 20 psi. The higher the boost, the bigger the difference.

Just bolting a larger turbo on won't make a car significantly faster on straight pump gas.

My car ran low 12's with the stocker and I bolted on a TA49 and damned if it wasn't until I was running higher boost than I was on my stock turbo before it ran faster than the stocker. At 16 - 18 psi the difference in performance almost wasn't measureable.

If you have ported heads/cam, other engine mods, a larger turbo may pick up more on pump gas, but it really shines at higher boost on race gas.

At high boost, a TA49/TE44 is good for .4-.5 seconds/5-7 mph over the stock turbo maxxed out.

With my T-tpe and Stock motor, I went 11.50's @118 with a TA49 with the stock D5 converter

Well dam I thought you were going to say I was going to gain like 50HP lol ..so I should invest in different areas before I throw in a bigger turbo?

i will tell you if your on a budget now to not raise boost and look for more performance.the tranny will need to come out and upgraded.low 12's and boost cranked either on the stock turbo or 49 will hurt the trans.

I would invest in tuning and monitoring devices to make sure your motor is running right. What do you have now ?

Right now I do not having anything to monitor the engine its stock other then the TT chip..

Well dam I thought you were going to say I was going to gain like 50HP lol ..so I should invest in different areas before I throw in a bigger turbo?

The gain is at least 50 HP, but what nobody tell you its at race gas boost levels.

A smarter investment for the street is an alchy injection kit.

Then, with a free flowing exhaust and a Cone K&N filter, the stock turbo should be able to knock down easy mid 12's@112mph.

Right now I do not having anything to monitor the engine its stock other then the TT chip..
Then I would invest in a ScanMaster,PowerLogger,Wideband O2(like PLX),Julio's transducer kit to log fuel pressure and a 3bar Map sensor. With these you can monitor/log boost,fuel pressure,Wideband O2's,narrowband O2's,knock,injector duty cycle,plus a lot more.In my opinion it's the best tuning equipment for a novice tuner ,like myself. If you go with 60 lbs injectors you can get Turbo Tweak 6.0 Wideband correction chip,which goes hand in hand with the above, with this setup the chip will add or remove fuel through the whole RPM band,at WOT,to maintain a A/F ratio of your choosing. Basically if you want a A/F ratio of 11.40 you set it at that A/F ratio and the chip will maintain that A/F ratio through the whole rpm band at WOT. " Totally Awesome ". You also need a water temp, oil pressure and boost gauge so you can see what is going on at a glance.

i will tell you if your on a budget now to not raise boost and look for more performance.the tranny will need to come out and upgraded.low 12's and boost cranked either on the stock turbo or 49 will hurt the trans.

I've run low 12's stock tranny, and 11's with a stock tranny with a shift kit and big cooler. I have a friend that is running high 10's with a stock tranny, no shift kit or cooler. And I think he has over 30 high 10's passes. A bigger cooler and shift kit is all that I would do.

been in the game too long to believe for one second that stock 200's hold 10sec power and if your car is running low 12's you will doing yours as well.if the poster spends his budget money on mods then breaks the trans he won't be happy.ive done the shift kit and cooler on a stocker to low 12's as well but it wont last,especially street driven,and a 10 sec stock 200 will live even less.ive rolled the dice on the stock stuff for a while,untill you get stuck on the side of the road or wonder why your car wont move at the track.

I'm just saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. I've also seen 200's blow up on 13's passes. I've own 4 turbo buicks since the early 90's and I have yet to toast one, and currently own 2. These trannys can be either really good or not so good.

i know someone that runs 10s on a stocker no crazy parts some alto bands and shift kit.. big cooler and changes the oil every chance he gets he also leaves off a trans brake real hard he does have a hardened drum though that usually brakes when coming off the line on a tbrake. he spent close to nothing on that trans..

87chrisss said:
i know someone that runs 10s on a stocker no crazy parts some alto bands and shift kit.. big cooler and changes the oil every chance he gets he also leaves off a trans brake real hard he does have a hardened drum though that usually brakes when coming off the line on a tbrake. he spent close to nothing on that trans..

Many guys have run 10's with nothing crazy. Proper calibration goes a long way. That was the only way to go before these nice parts were available. stock servo works incredibly well too if the pin bore isn't shot

Id get rid of the stocker ive seen 5 of them including mine that the nut came off on the compressor side and caused all kinds of fun stuff to happen....Im prolly biased tho cause of my bad experience lol....

Tuning/datalogging first... then free up the inlet air restrictions (good cold air kit) and exhaust restrictions (but keep the stock headers)..... then alky kit/60's/TT 6.0 chip...... you can probably get it into the 11's on pump gas with good air and some good drag radials..... Once you are there... you will have the hardware to more take advantage of a bigger turbo when funds are available....