okay. i've been had by eBay. lesson learned

What airport your flying into .. ? I might be able to pick you up and drag you to court .. At least you'll get a ride in a real rust free slow 10 second car .. Let me know if i can help ..

I can fly to either Detroit airport, but Metro is a bit closer. I picked Metro because the estimate for a cab is about $40 less. I'll we going from Detroit to the 18th District Court in Westland.
Can I drive? Lol

I can fly to either Detroit airport, but Metro is a bit closer. I picked Metro because the estimate for a cab is about $40 less. I'll we going from Detroit to the 18th District Court in Westland.
Can I drive? Lol
metro DTW is actually in romulas,mi. the airport is about 10 miles from the courthouse in westland.

metro DTW is actually in romulas,mi. the airport is about 10 miles from the courthouse in westland.

sounds about right. i wasn't aware it was in a different town, thank you. the airport is just south of Westland, from what i can tell. much closer than the other airport.

7/15/11 update:

hearing adjourned until 8/30/11. plane ticket already exchanged. i have a lay over in Vegas on the return trip. maybe i'll say over night for a bit of celebrating?

:D

7/15/11 update:

hearing adjourned until 8/30/11. plane ticket already exchanged. i have a lay over in Vegas on the return trip. maybe i'll say over night for a bit of celebrating?

:D

don't count the chickens before they hatch :p

don't count the chickens before they hatch :p

if i had any chance of losing, i wouldn't. this isn't a "well.. he could get off by...". nope. he's done.
i have yet to be advised by one bit of legal counsel that i can lose. it's a given. the tough part is collecting the money. i guess the court has it's way to make sure he pays them, then i get it. i'm not counting on any of it, so one day i'll just have a surprise coming my way. most likely around tax season. it's gonna be saweet.

Winning is simple, collecting is completely different, and unless MI courts are different, they do nothing to collect for you. They are not a collection agency nor will they 'middle man' the money for you - you're solely on your own on that.

Winning is simple, collecting is completely different, and unless MI courts are different, they do nothing to collect for you. They are not a collection agency nor will they 'middle man' the money for you - you're solely on your own on that.

they seize his tax return and any other type of awards, as well as garnish wages. They also told me the judgment affects home, student, and auto loans, seeing how the judgment is reported to all three credit agencies. I'm told some states won't let you renew a license. How awesome and ironic would that have been? Lol
Anyway, Even if he finds a way around paying forever, it's gonna follow him around and cause problems got 10 years. That and the win is good enough for me. The money is a bonus if/when it shows.
I'm also told I can have my travel expenses added to the bill. I'll have the final word on Aug 30. I'll post from the airport.

7/16/11 update. i've been getting lots of calls from Josh, but i don't answer them. i've told him over and over text and emails only. no more phone calls.
he finally left a voice message. i'm not sure if he's drunk or high, but it definitely sounded like he was half asleep. LOL but check THIS out. it's transcribed word for word. all the repeated words are as he spoke them. i'm trying to find a way to get the voice message off my phone some how. it's classic. who the f**k is "Hoffa"? Jimmy Hoffa?? LOL:

hey what up, it's hoffa..um, listen man, if you don't have the money to uh come to.. detroit, hit me up. uh... i can probably get you the money. a bunch of my friends wanna meet you anyway. you gotta come to... you gotta come to detroit once. the most dangerous city in america. you gotta come check it out, it's a nice place. so, um.. but uh.. yeah hit me up
um.. i..i can probably.. ah.. pay for your plane ticket. so if you need help with it and so forth. so,..
and then i have um.. the uh.. the guy i bought it from from florida. he's coming with me. and he's got a video of the whole car showing that um.. it was a clean car. so.. um..it'll be fun. it'll be fun to see you there. but uh... hit me up.. ay uh um. i'm confused on what your doin but.. hey.. it was what there is.. hit me up brotha.. good luck

Hearing finished. Awarded $1890 out of the $3000 I was asking for. still out $3600 from the whole ordeal...but better than $5400. He was mad dogging me at first. Something about my friends harassing him via the internet. I have no clue what that was about.
Anyway, neither of us were happy with the outcome, but what can ya do? Definitely worth the 2000 miles, no sleep, and no food. Lol. even a dollar would have made it worth the trip.

Thanks, guys. I flew 2000 miles, ate two McDonalds cheeseburgers, and didn't sleep last night. Flight cost me $300. Taxi was $70 round trip. I burned 12hrs of vacation time by missing work today.

Worth it? yup. I have a pet peeve about seeing people getting screwed over. A lesson to dishonest and/or ignorant car salesmen everywhere: don't fvck with me. I will come get you.

The best part was him trying to convince the judge my pictures were from a different car. The bailiff actually stopped what she was doing, looked over at him, and laughed. It was great.

I'm still not sure why I didn't get the full amount. Eh, well.

Congrats on the recovery!!! Glad to hear you were able to get something out of it. I wonder why you didn't get the full amount of what you were asking for? The judge must have thought you did derive some type of benefit from the transaction. In any event, I hope you can collect on the judgment. I'm so happy that you actually stuck this thing through and brought that scumbag to court. Cheers to you brotha! :cool:

i'm not sure why i didn't get the full amount either. i could be wrong, but i'm not sure the judge understood where i traveled from.. i'm also not sure he understood what i meant when i explained i sold the car AND a "new" body and doors that i paid $1,100 for. here is what i ended up losing:

car $7,200.00
DMV $117.00
shipping $950.00
signal lens $35.00
wheels, center caps, ST springs $499.00
5” tach $70.00
tires $415.00
alignment $100.00
boost gauge $61.00
boost gauge pod $19.00
BOOM tip $151.00
FPR/scanmaster $175.00
BOV $170.00
rust supplies $165.00
hard-top body/doors $1100
ultrachip switch $52.00
gn license plates $25.00
fuel pressure gauge $35.00
O2 sensor $20.00
header wrap $35.00
turbo gasket set $30.00
injector o-ring set $15.00
vacuum/heater line $20.00
coil pack $40.00
plug wires $45.00
spark plugs $25.00

for a total of a bit over $11k.

keeping in mind i would have bought most of this stuff for any project.. so i should probably only include the car, shipping, body, and doors which is:

$9250

i sold the whole lot for $4,000 and got $1,800 from the court, before deducting the $400 i spent on airfare, food, and taxi.

in a nutshell, i'm still out about $3500 that i will never see again. i learned an expensive lesson and at least got SOME of my money back. i lost a project that i was supposed to do with my son. i can't get that back either.

all in all, neither of us were happy with the judgement. the judge stated that Josh obviously lied about the rust and the mileage. so why did i get nearly HALF of what i was asking? especially considering it wasn't even close to what i've lost? i don't know. the judge mumbled something about thinking josh and i were both being honest and this was just a misunderstanding. that was a "WTF" moment.

as i said, even if i had only gotten a dollar out of all this, as long as i saw it through and the scammer was proved to be in the wrong, i'm good. the guy is shady and a compulsive liar. from the way he acted in court, to the mad-dogging me after.. to the trying to be my friend outside the court room.. i wouldn't trust him nearly as far as i could throw him (he MAY weigh about 130lbs).

i can't believe he hasn't had his legs broken by now. stay away from this seller, guys.

In that court did he have to give you the money right away or does he just have an order to pay it? (Some do it where you pay right away...if you don't have it they start the process of docking your pay and siezing tax returns right then on the spot)

Glad you got something.