okay. i've been had by eBay. lesson learned

kaj

yes. i know not to buy a car off of eBay. yes.. i know the risks of buying a car sight-unseen but rolled the dice anyway.

keep in mind this is not a bitching thread LOL

anyway.. i guess i'm posting in the right section? so. here's the deal. here is the ad i bought the car from:

Buick : Grand National - eBay (item 290541965296 end time Mar-05-11 23:30:02 PST)

notice it says NO rust and mentions it just needs paint and a heater core.

well. i get the car and this is what i find after about 30mins of looking the car over in the garage, at night:

leaking trans fluid to the rate of a nice-sized puddle after driving. (despite being "rebuilt")
leaking oil (expected, but would have been nice to know about)
broken rear license plate surround (not sure what the piece of plastic is called)
rust on rear bumper
front bumper rusted
front bumper strip stuck on using bubble gum?
paint missing and rust on passenger-side bumper under gum.
surface rust driver's side rear quarter
rust eaten holes along with rust bubbles on both doors. (though i asked a million times about it having rust)
front bumper crooked (looked crooked in one of the pictures. he assured me it was "good to go bro. it's perfect).
driver side headlight broken/loose
driver side headlight surround broken/loose
grill broken/loose
silicone used on t-top/windshield seals
t-tops leak (expected. that's why i hate t-tops)
engine hesitates on freeway. (he said it runs smooth and perfect)
car wants to stall while pulling into driveway
fuel pressure regulator (possibly has aftermarket parts which may be responsible for poorly running engine)
aftermarket injectors? (possibly has aftermarket parts which may be responsible for poorly running engine)
passenger headlight filler broken

i haven't been UNDER the car yet. so, yeah.. it kinda sucks that they guy swore up and down that the car only needed paint. it also sucks that, apparently, cars over 20yrs old aren't covered under eBay's buyer protection. also, i sent him two payments, so i was unable to send them as payment for "goods", so i'm not covered under PayPal's buyer protection either.
live and learn LOL

so.. no i'm down to selling the car and losing a ton, or being into the car for far more than it's worth, which i've done many times and didn't mind as long i love the car.
thing is.. i had a specific budget. with the car at the price i got it for, in the condition i was promised, my left over cash would have been enough. as of now, i can get started, but the car will sit in the garage until......?
i'm disappointed. mad at myself for not taking my own advice. it's kinda funny, but i'm still not happy about being out all the money i paid. not really so much that i got burned by buying form ebay.. just that i was VERY specific about my questions and he outright lied to me. he lied to me about the mileage, the rust, and that the car was in running condition. well. okay.. the car runs and drives, just not very well. it doesn't smoke, but i do smell burning oil from a leak somewhere. the turbo does sounds great. it's just that the car tends to cut power from time to time while cruising at constant RPM. while accellerating with a decent amount of gas, it seems just fine. i actually drove it pretty hard the night i got it and wasn't too disappointed to be honest. only after getting on the freeway did i have issues. now, it kinda seems to be getting worse. not sure if it's because of the strange switches i flipped around LOL. how knows, man. i'm waiting to have a day off of work so i can dig into it a bit.
right now my biggest challenge is figuring out what on the car is OEM and what is aftermarket. IF i keep the car, i'll probably just take everything out/off and start over. that's always easier than figuring out someone else's mess, IMO.

i believe the engine may have mods and be running the wrong ECU, which would explain the car running poorly. i have a box of them and the seller is not sure which was installed in the car. i do see a fuel pressure regulator, a green stripe on the injectors, some vacuum lines that aren't stock, and some strange box mounted in the dash that i've never seen before. here are the pictures:

anyone know what this is? it lights up when i flick on the first dipswitch. changing positions of the three switches seems to have no effect on car's performance:

unkownpart1.JPG

unkownpart2.JPG

unkownpart3.JPG

aftermarket FPR? i believe i recently bought one just like it:

unkownpart4.JPG

are these injectors stock?:
unkownpart5.JPG

this appears to have a harness in between the male and female plugs??
unkownpart6.JPG

unkownpart7.JPG

stock turbo, i'm assuming?
unkownpart8.JPG

unkownpart9.JPG

so that's it. man. what a disappointment, considering the impression i was placed under by the seller.

so.. what would you guys do? sell it and cut your losses or bring her back from the dead? votes?

thanks to all for reading, and thanks in advance for opinions and info!

jason

picture 1 = radar detector?

harness gizmo is an adapter to use the 86/87 ignition module.

There are splices leading to the TPS also, which should mean that your car is set up for the 86/87 TPS sensor

Stumbling on the highway could be ignition related or perhaps EGR.

Post pics of the chips and ECM's, see if you can get a part number off an injector.

The MAF is an 84/85 unit. Most of the time when guys update to a later ECM, they switch to the later MAF.

Your vacuum connection is an aftermarket aluminum unit, these are fine.

Bob

the zero rust was when it lived in FLA when it was brand new.
The car is 25 years old!

This is why you should prolly look at cars in person. or have a memeber here go and look it over. If you paid that member a dinner out it may have alleviated this happening... Just my 3 cents.

She looks pretty.

I think you should take a breather and get the running properly issues squared away and see how it goes. Then maybe tackle some of the smaller issues. Then make a decision. stay calm and focused.

Wow...that sucks. For $7,500 a little patience you can buy an '86 or '87 right now in this market in much better shape than that car is in.

Andy please tell me you rate that seller accordingly and get rid of that 100% positive feedback crap he's spewing.

I'll get more info and pics up in the morning. I have plenty that's shows the car is pretty beat. I shopped for weeks for an 86/87. No luck.
This guy is not getting anywhere near a decent feedback rating from me. Lying about the condition of the vehicle is unacceptable.
I emailed him two days ago to give him a heads up. No reply. Last I heard from him he wanted to "make things right" cause he's "not that type of guy". What type? To lie to me during our phone conversations? Um. Yes he is. He even offered to find me doors for $300 and he would pay shipping. Great accept I paid $7200 for the car. Not $7500. I shouldn't be needing to buy doors.
I did see a thread here about asking members in certain areas to inspect cars. I got no replies to my post nor PMs. So, I did give it a shot.
Ultimately its my bad for taking the risk. I can't blame anyone else. But I am still pissed at being lied to. No getting past that.
Let this be a lesson for everyone. Learn ,from my mistake! I know I have. :)

pictures of what i'm dealing with right now:
\
for all i know the injectors are mismatched because one has a green stripe and different numbers on it, the others all seem different:

greenstipeinjector.JPG

greenstipeinjector2.JPG

GNotherinjectors.JPG

i THINK the TPS has been swapped for an 86/87, judging by the wires being poorly butt connected between the pigtail and engine harness:

GMTPS.JPG

GMTPS2.JPG

at least it has a new master cylinder. seems to not be bled properly as brakes work poorly until i pump the pedal, then the rears lock up. LOL:

GNmastercylinder.JPG

any way to tell if this is '85 or '86?:

GNignmodule.JPG

i totally deleted the other post i made.. so i'll just post the rest of the pictures:

GNecu1.JPG

GNecu1_2.JPG

GNecu1_3.JPG

GNecu2.JPG

GNecu2_2.JPG

GNecu3.JPG

GNecu3_2.JPG

GNecu3_3.JPG

GNecu3_4.JPG

i asked if ANY parts were broken/missing/needed to be replaced, just so i had no surprises. "naw, bro. this thing is CLEAN"

frontfiller.jpg

frontfillercrack.JPG

i asked about the crooked grill and bumper. "it's just the sun, bro. it's good to go"

crookedgrill.JPG

car after i added wheels and tires:

GNoverview.JPG

You got robbed.:eek:
Hope you can at least get it to run OK.

there has to be some legal recourse somewhere. Seek some legal advice. That rust on the doors is terrible. I personally like you would have been very disappointed with the rust. IF you have emails, messages, texts what ever, document document document. I'm in Canada but there is such a thing as "false pretenses" a type of fraud. Where by an item is described and misrepresented. I wish you luck as I feel you were wronged. If the seller was a member here, they should be ashamed of themselves.

84-5 TPS, 86-7 swings the opposite way & wouldn't work.
you have an 84-5 ecm & an 86-7 ecm.
Like Bob said that is a casper's 84-5 to 86-7 adapter to run an 87 on an 84-5.
Looks like an old Tomco 30-32 lb injector.
I picked up a car like this one time off e-bay, need less to say I didn't pay what I won it for. I don't think I paid a third of that.

Yes fraud

Contact your local police and file a complaint .this is fraud. Show all the e-mails and comments and they will contact his local police and conduct an investigation . I even think if you payed the two payments by pay-pal might be wire fraud as well .. His ad was bullchit . Im not to far from were you bought this car and when i seen it on ebay . I thought it was odd not to picture the whole car if it was so clean and rust free .. Scammer .sorry this happens to people .but scumbags dont even hide anymore . There in plain site and oh so trustworthy... I flew to philly to get mine and drove home the same day 600 miles to make sure i was buying a gem and not a turd ... Had a return flight ready if it was ..

"Zero rust" my @ss.. At least hit him with negative feedback so hopefully he has a hard time lying the future about such things.

i'm doing my best to seek all action possible. i'll keep you guys updated. i'm hoping that, since this transaction involves two states, that it MAY be a federal matter. that would be awesome because federal penalties seem to be a bit more harsh and better enforced.

i'll keep everyone updated. thanks for all the support, fellas.

This looks like fraud to me. Time to involve the authorities and maybe start a civil action too.

Most people will just shrug it off and "let it go" and this dumba$$ will be out there ripping other people off...

If it were me, I'd take a ton of pics and I'd park the car in the garage and not touch it, see about printing out that ebay page or contact ebay for a copy.. Then I'd file a complaint with his local sheriffs dept and maybe file a civil lawsuit too... Guy wouldn't get away with my money.:cool:

He's also pay for my time/expense to sue him and the transport fees as well...

Don't let it go. Some people need to understand that their actions have consequences... This was not some minor oversight; this was blatant....

Just my .02

This looks like fraud to me. Time to involve the authorities and maybe start a civil action too.

Most people will just shrug it off and "let it go" and this dumba$$ will be out there ripping other people off...

If it were me, I'd take a ton of pics and I'd park the car in the garage and not touch it, see about printing out that ebay page or contact ebay for a copy.. Then I'd file a complaint with his local sheriffs dept and maybe file a civil lawsuit too... Guy wouldn't get away with my money.:cool:

He's also pay for my time/expense to sue him and the transport fees as well...

Don't let it go. Some people need to understand that their actions have consequences... This was not some minor oversight; this was blatant....

Just my .02

i am 100% not letting this go. nope.

Did you notice that he received positive feedback from the same car 1 month earlier? Seems he didn't really sell it the last time? Kind of weird.

Man, that's a bummer that there's people like this out there. It's beyond me how this guy can look at himself in the mirror. Good luck with the legal end of things, but at worst, you've learned a valuable lesson. Keep it in perspective and move on....that's all you can do.