Oil pressure problem

I bought a block from a guy a few years back. It kept tearing out the mains with him. I found the problem. The steel main caps he purchased weren't chamfered 45 degrees to fit the 45 degree chamfer in the block. Had the Turbo 6 logo on them. Not sure what brand they were.

I bought a block from a guy a few years back. It kept tearing out the mains with him. I found the problem. The steel main caps he purchased weren't chamfered 45 degrees to fit the 45 degree chamfer in the block. Had the Turbo 6 logo on them. Not sure what brand they were.
These caps don't have the logos on them. I'll ask the machinist if they had the chamfer

Do you have a bad flex plate,balancer or converter? I feel your pain, if it has tits or tires it will give you trouble:confused:

Over fill the pan, to cover the pick up tube. Still do it?

Have you ever done that test with good results, Chuck? Seems to me by the time you got some heat into the oil, it would be a frothy mess and lower the pressure from that.

Wonder if someone could make a front cover tester
Would seem like a simple plate with a hose feeding to feed the pump and a t fitting with a controlled orfice to add resistance and a pressure gauge tee'd in
Question would be what size orfice.. Just thinking out loud

if you slowly increase RPMs with a drill (or something faster)and notice the pressure flattens out, that means you've made enough head pressure to actuate the relief valve. Which is as far as the pump needs to go. I guess you could rig up a kill-a-watt meter to measure load at the same time.

I'm still trying to figure out why you're smoking mains. Any chance you still have the mains and they're in order?

Julio any updates??
Man thanks for asking. Unfortunately I swapped front covers.. Same 40 psi pressure on the gauge. I swapped gauges and same. I then pulled the motor put it on a stand and pressure went to 55 psi. Picked up 15 from nowhere. At that point pulled the pan, cleaned the milkshake from the water, and checked the pickup tube for issues. Everything looked in order. Re-assembled it.. Put in fresh oil.. Up to 55 lbs.. Dropped it in and fired it up. Pressure started at 50 psi and by the time it hit 180 dropped below 10.
I'm yanking it out in the am.
Fun huh :)

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes better to take a break:mad: I know you will figure it out, just frustrating

Hairline crack in the main web up into the cam tunnel? Sometimes a crack can't be seen, but it causes the line bore to be off and burn # 2 or #3 main. Oil pressure at idle will drop also.

Hairline crack in the main web up into the cam tunnel? Sometimes a crack can't be seen, but it causes the line bore to be off and burn # 2 or #3 main. Oil pressure at idle will drop also.
X2

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I think Blazer406 (was that his screen-name) had this issue a couple years back.

I'm not sure what the issue turned out to be, perhaps cam bearing related.

Bob

With all the other clearances and how precise Julio is I would agree on the cam bearings. I had it bite me once( not a TR):rolleyes:

Julio, when you swaped covers did you use the same pump gears, wonder if the clearenace between the gear teeth and the housing is out of tolerance.

Well a funny thing happened today...
Pulled the motor and went to the shop..
Disassembled the motor and after checking found the problem..
They put std std bearings on a 10-10 crank yet labeled the rods and mains 1.7 with blue paint so I wouldn't mess with their clearances..
Humans make mistakes, it's Christmas and I'll let it be...

Julio, when you swaped covers did you use the same pump gears, wonder if the clearenace between the gear teeth and the housing is out of tolerance.
Thanks Nigel, no different pump and gears. The thought did cross my mind..