Oil pressure problem

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
Got a motor that's kicking my tail.
Brand new build. Rods and mains are set to 1.7-1.8 thou. hV pump, threaded plugs on oil galleys, morel lifters, clearance on pump plate is .002, oil used is conventional valvoline 10w40 and can only get 45 psi on a drill. When oil gets hot pressure plummets to 10. Fire up engine runs 45 psi at high idle cold and will go to 65 if I blip the throttle. I don't feel like running a thicker oil.. Especially with these clearances. Yellow 60 lb spring is being used.

Question.. What psi you get on a drill. I'm used to seeing 70 psi on a drill. Am I off?

Suggestions where to look for the lack of pressure issue?

Thanks.. Tomorrow throwing on a different front cover just to triple check..

Cam bearing clearance? I never really pay attention to drill oil pressure #s, I just want to see that its there and roll the motor over by hand to make sure prime is complete. I know you have probably already tried this but I have been sent on a wild goose chase over a bad gauge once:eek:

Man, that thing is still messing with you??!!!

Any chance the pickup tube has a small crack and introducing air into the system?

I have a 3 inch liquid filled gauge I use for such special occasions.. There is an electric in the car as well.. That's the one that made me pull out the mechanical know good gauge.
Clearances on cam bearings.. Possible.. Tho I wouldn't think you could improperly install them and create less pressure?
If oil is coming from all the rockers then that would ... Guess I need to pull the intake and pushrods and look at the oil coming from lifters when the drill is going..

Man, that thing is still messing with you??!!!

Any chance the pickup tube has a small crack and introducing air into the system?
Its given me a tattoo..

I have built a dozen of the motors.. God knows how many I have worked on.. I can write a book on all the crazy things that have happened to this particular car.

So am I off on drill pressure readings using a yellow spring? 60-70 cold.. Meaning what it's supposed to be?

Is this the first engine and you're still fighting with it, or he 2nd replacement engine?

I remember when we went over all the stuff you changed... right up to starting over with a 2nd jinxed motor. Those clearances are loose but they shouldn't be messing with you that much.

Drill readings aren't really a good tool for internet troubleshooting since different drills spin at different RPMs. Then you throw in stuff like oil viscosity, ambient temps, bearing clearances, etc... it just becomes another factor.

I never thought a car could be jinxed.. But this one is there.
Motor 1 unknown shop built engine.. Developed a main knock.. They welded the factory crank and warped it.
Motor 2 150 miles takes out the 3rd main.. Machine shop can't find a problem with machine work,w no explanation why. We suspect crack in block.. So we get a know good block that was previously hurt but didn't suffer from oil pressure problems.. Build that.. Fast forward two weeks in.. Starts to loose oil pressure.. Spin motor over and upon disassembly 3rd cap cracked.. Crank smoked.
This is the 4th time in 3 months.. I get low pressure and I'm spooked as hell..
It's just a simple engine .. How hard can it be :)

Drill readings aren't really a good tool for internet troubleshooting since different drills spin at different RPMs. Then you throw in stuff like oil viscosity, ambient temps, bearing clearances, etc... it just becomes another factor.
Last motor 1.5 months ago I put together on another Buick.. Got 70 psi on the stand.. Same old drill and gauge. Same 10w40 oil.

Last motor 1.5 months ago I put together on another Buick.. Got 70 psi on the stand.. Same old drill and gauge. Same 10w40 oil.

Now that's good data.. kinda... It looks like your drill will spin fast enough to generate enough pressure to let the relief start venting.

Have you ever noticed that boats and cars are always named after women?.....

That should give you one answer!

Oil pickup tube is a new Melling.

How could you tell if there is aeration issue?

I can't think of any way to check without removing the pickup. And to check the block, the pickup and the timing cover would have to come off.

Are talking like put the pickup in a container like a small bucket full of oil while attached to block then prime the oil?

I was thinking something like blocking off the flange end, and filling it with something thin. With the screen in place there's no way to block off the other end to pressurize it.

Is the same pickup a common denominator with all the jinxed up engines? The odds on having two blocks with weepy oil pickup galleys is pretty long.

Motor 1 unknown shop built engine.. Developed a main knock.. They welded the factory crank and warped it.
Motor 2 150 miles takes out the 3rd main.. Machine shop can't find a problem with machine work,w no explanation why. We suspect crack in block.. So we get a know good block that was previously hurt but didn't suffer from oil pressure problems.. Build that.. Fast forward two weeks in.. Starts to loose oil pressure.. Spin motor over and upon disassembly 3rd cap cracked.. Crank smoked.
This is the 4th time in 3 months.. I get low pressure and I'm spooked as hell..
You working on my car???????? LOL

Bryan

Lower end problems!
Possible balance problem
Bad out of balance converter at high rpm
Bad injectors 3-4 flooding cylinders
At high boost causing detonation

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I was thinking something like blocking off the flange end, and filling it with something thin. With the screen in place there's no way to block off the other end to pressurize it.

Is the same pickup a common denominator with all the jinxed up engines? The odds on having two blocks with weepy oil pickup galleys is pretty long.
Odds huh
Last time around installing heads it popped an arp 12 point head bolt.
The can tensioner bolt also stretched on it
Motor loves tearing out the 3rd main. Not the rear or thrust

Simple stock crank and stock rods

Monday I'll put another front cover on and see if there is any change in pressure.

Keep the ideas coming

Bryan... I think this has to be your motors cousin.. Def there is a kin relationship