oil additives? i'm not convinced.

speedskills

Seniór Member
After doing a lot of research I'm not convinced I should add anything to my oil. Is Zddplus different than any other additive that's been sued by the FTC and lost for false advertising? I understand that zinc does help in extreme conditions such as bare metal to metal contact but it also can gum up valves and small orifices. Not to mention foul spark plugs and ruin 02 sensors. Can someone change my mind about this? Big oil companies have only reduced the amount of zinc in there product not eleminated it. I'm up for opinions or real life stories. Thanks.

After doing a lot of research I'm not convinced I should add anything to my oil. Is Zddplus different than any other additive that's been sued by the FTC and lost for false advertising? I understand that zinc does help in extreme conditions such as bare metal to metal contact but it also can gum up valves and small orifices. Not to mention foul spark plugs and ruin 02 sensors. Can someone change my mind about this? Big oil companies have only reduced the amount of zinc in there product not eleminated it. I'm up for opinions or real life stories. Thanks.

i will give you a simple logical response to this question--------to answer why you should or should not add any zddp to your older cars oil is simple--------if you are using oil that is rated and designated for use in new cars the answer is an ablolute yes if you really want to protect it--------modern oil is specifically formulated for newer engines that have been designed from the ground up to use oil with less zddp--------your engine was designed by engineers that knew that the level of zddp in the oil you would be buying would be the same as it had been since the early 50's---------they could not have envisioned the large scale reductions that were the result of tighter emission controls--------if you are spending the extra money to buy specialized oils that are formulated for older engines with extra zddp there is no need to add the extra zddp as long as the amount is actually adequate and you can trust the manufacturer---------i have been accused of creating a scare for the sake of profit by marketing ZddPlus--------nothing could be further from the truth-------fact is that i first sourced large quatities of zddp for my personal fleet of TR's after doing serious research into the issue-------it was later at the suggestion of others that i go to the bother of marketing it as an additive for others-----------i could see how someone might be led to believe i made this up but it would be hard to believe that all the oil companies followed suit---------since most of the nascar and other racing teams either use Joe Gibbs or Valvoline racing oil with extra zddp or add zddp in the form of ZDDPlus it is a far reach to believe these companies jumped on an empty bandwagon--------the facts are, that used in proper amounts, ie about 1800-2000 there are no negative side effects from using zddp in oil----------it does not clog orifices, gum valves, foul spark plugs or ruin O2 sensors-------i can create buildup on ring lands if used in excessive amounts IF the engine has excessive blowby but if thats the case you need a rebuild anyway---------it does reduce catylic convertor life--------- thats why oil companies are contuining to reduce the zddp---------for a while it was considered wise to use diesel formulated oils since they usually contained higher amounts of zddp-------aside from the fact that they also had other additives that made them less than perfect for high performance gasoline engines even the newer formulations of diesel oil have much lower amounts of zddp--------and this fall when the newer GF-5 SN passenger car oils come out the protection for older cars will be reduced even more--------if you think that the same govt that brought you the "cash for clunkers" program really gives a darn about your 80's turbo regal i suggest you think again--------is it different than any other product???---------there is no mystery------its not a new invention-------its been around for many decades--------it is not a new miracle additive like is sold on tv-------opinions????--------whats to need---------how about some common sense???-------look at the facts instead of some ex racer on TV hawking some additive by running his car around the desert without oil because he used some miracle additive---------the auto parts stores are full of miracle additives that do little to nothing yet people by them by the millions--------none of these miracle additives have ever been important enough for any company to actually consider using them in oil formulations or for car companies to require their use for warranty reasons ----------humans are so gullible and illogical----------the lottery proves it everyday-----------read the tech papers on the ZddPlus website------those are not sales brochures but honest technical papers written by dedicated engineers that are also old car lovers..................RC

i will give you a simple logical response to this question--------to answer why you should or should not add any zddp to your older cars oil is simple--------if you are using oil that is rated and designated for use in new cars the answer is an ablolute yes if you really want to protect it--------modern oil is specifically formulated for newer engines that have been designed from the ground up to use oil with less zddp--------your engine was designed by engineers that knew that the level of zddp in the oil you would be buying would be the same as it had been since the early 50's---------they could not have envisioned the large scale reductions that were the result of tighter emission controls--------if you are spending the extra money to buy specialized oils that are formulated for older engines with extra zddp there is no need to add the extra zddp as long as the amount is actually adequate and you can trust the manufacturer---------i have been accused of creating a scare for the sake of profit by marketing ZddPlus--------nothing could be further from the truth-------fact is that i first sourced large quatities of zddp for my personal fleet of TR's after doing serious research into the issue-------it was later at the suggestion of others that i go to the bother of marketing it as an additive for others-----------i could see how someone might be led to believe i made this up but it would be hard to believe that all the oil companies followed suit---------since most of the nascar and other racing teams either use Joe Gibbs or Valvoline racing oil with extra zddp or add zddp in the form of ZDDPlus it is a far reach to believe these companies jumped on an empty bandwagon--------the facts are, that used in proper amounts, ie about 1800-2000 there are no negative side effects from using zddp in oil----------it does not clog orifices, gum valves, foul spark plugs or ruin O2 sensors-------i can create buildup on ring lands if used in excessive amounts IF the engine has excessive blowby but if thats the case you need a rebuild anyway---------it does reduce catylic convertor life--------- thats why oil companies are contuining to reduce the zddp---------for a while it was considered wise to use diesel formulated oils since they usually contained higher amounts of zddp-------aside from the fact that they also had other additives that made them less than perfect for high performance gasoline engines even the newer formulations of diesel oil have much lower amounts of zddp--------and this fall when the newer GF-5 SN passenger car oils come out the protection for older cars will be reduced even more--------if you think that the same govt that brought you the "cash for clunkers" program really gives a darn about your 80's turbo regal i suggest you think again--------is it different than any other product???---------there is no mystery------its not a new invention-------its been around for many decades--------it is not a new miracle additive like is sold on tv-------opinions????--------whats to need---------how about some common sense???-------look at the facts instead of some ex racer on TV hawking some additive by running his car around the desert without oil because he used some miracle additive---------the auto parts stores are full of miracle additives that do little to nothing yet people by them by the millions--------none of these miracle additives have ever been important enough for any company to actually consider using them in oil formulations or for car companies to require their use for warranty reasons ----------humans are so gullible and illogical----------the lottery proves it everyday-----------read the tech papers on the ZddPlus website------those are not sales brochures but honest technical papers written by dedicated engineers that are also old car lovers..................RC

well said, now whats going on with those bumper fillers? :D

WHAT IF YOU USE SYNTHETIC OIL SUCH AS MOBIL 1? i PERSONALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY ANYONE WOULD PUT ANY OTHER OIL IN THEIR ENGINES. I USE IT IN ALL THREE OF MY CARS, MY SON'S DIRTBIKE AND EVEN MY JOHN DEERE LAWN TRACTOR. NO ZDDP PLUS. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. WALMART SELLS IT FOR $21.00 FOR 5 QUARTS.

I have a stock long block and use castrol 10/40 with a bottle of zddp they say it's good for the flat tappet camshaft.I also put in a bottle of Lucas oil additive that clingy gooey stuff i don't know if the lucas stuff works but it looks good though.:confused:

well spoken. And I am a user too.

Steve

I've had many thoughts about this. Glad RC chimed in. Thanks for placing your question here.

Mobil 1 has been changed in formula many time since 1987. I used to use it from day one in my car. I brought my car on the trailer to the shop from the dealer and changed the oil. Twice in that week come to think of it. I had enough with the changes, silent changes with Mobil and went to Rotrolla T by Shell with one ZDDP additive at every change. No regrets to date.

I thought of replacing the flat tappet to roller and leaving out the ZDDP. I'm thinking No now. I'll still keep using ZDDP. I've been remembering back to the multi page study that Dennis K. sent Kenny D., at Kenny's shop.

I'm a believer and I have a couple cat. converters to get me by.:biggrin:

I think my skepticism is warranted in this case seeing as how almost all big name oil additives(slick 50, prolong, zmaxx, etc) have been sued by the FTC and lost for making false claims about their product. is anyone NOT using this product?

I think my skepticism is warranted in this case seeing as how almost all big name oil additives(slick 50, prolong, zmaxx, etc) have been sued by the FTC and lost for making false claims about their product. is anyone NOT using this product?

So if you are so skeptical, pretty simple dont use it.

But for the cost of 2 happy meals per oil change why not use it?

I rep for a large Oil and Grease Manufacturer/blender that private labels for the likes of John Deere, Kubota, Bobcat, FINA, etc.

Royal Mfg Co, Manufacturer and Distributor of Lubricants and Base Oils

With what I have learned over the last several years ZDDP is an excellent product, do some serious research in a lab and you will find out the benefits.

WHAT IF YOU USE SYNTHETIC OIL SUCH AS MOBIL 1? i PERSONALLY DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY ANYONE WOULD PUT ANY OTHER OIL IN THEIR ENGINES. I USE IT IN ALL THREE OF MY CARS, MY SON'S DIRTBIKE AND EVEN MY JOHN DEERE LAWN TRACTOR. NO ZDDP PLUS. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. WALMART SELLS IT FOR $21.00 FOR 5 QUARTS.

you are correct and yet you could not be more wrong at the same time----------i agree that Mobil One is a great oil---------probably a serious contender for the best money can buy for THE SPECIFICATION IT IS AIMED AT---------that spec is the current car market--------I use it in my personal CTS-V --------25 years ago it was formulated for our cars and if you stashed some of it away when it was API SF or SG or even SH spec you could probably do no better for your Turbo Car-----------today it is SM and soon it will be SN---------things change and time seems to change everything---------your sons dirt bike and the lawn tractor would be fine with just about anything that is slippery-----------but if you have an older high performance car you are pressing your luck if you continue to use the newer oils in such a vehicle-----------do some people get away with it--------of course they do---------identical cars from the same assembly line have different fates-------some are junk at 75K miles and some go 300K----------its just how things work---------how can some people smoke like a chimney all their life till they are 90 and die peacefully in their sleep while others check out with cancer at 40----------statistical data will prove that smokers on average die earlier and heavier smokers die even earlier----------just because someone lives to a ripe old age and smokes is no reason to ignore it as a cause of early death----------cars are no different----------want to play Russian roulete with your engine----------forget the zddp and use the new car oil formulations--------odds are strongly against you and odds are hard to beat........................RC

I have a flat tappet cam that wiped at about 2000 miles after I changed the oil with Mobil 1 10w30...I love Mobil 1 and it's what I use in my G6 however I didn't put ZDDP or any zinc additive in and now I have two lobes gone and one lobe worn down on a giant paperweight. The oil I am currently using is Valvoline racing oil and after a couple hundred miles on it I will go back to Mobil 1 however this time I WILL ADD ZDDP or Lucas Zinc with every single oil change.

Richard has covered the subject quite well....

Many of you know us......our company is the largest seller of ZDDPlus. Its all been covered before. As for being sued nothing is in the 4 ounce bottle that was not in the oil originally. Not every product you mentioned can make that claim.

Mobil One faces the same regulations as all the others with the amount of zddp ppm they can contain which has been pointed out is good for current cars not older performance cars such as the turbo regal with a flat tappet cam.

We now sell direct to 4 cam companies.....isky-crower-erson-delta....

Some of these Cam Companies I am sure you have heard of. They are not buying it from our company just to spend money.

As Richard pointed out about cigarettes....even with the warning on the packs people still smoke. While many solutions exist adding the 4 ounce bottle of zddplus with any current sm oil by far is the simplest solution. Also the cheapest considering once wear starts its already too late. Heck even comp cam now has come out with an oil promoted for older cars.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Doubtful Don Garlits would endorse a product that did not work. The guy has quite an impressive track record over a 50 year span.

I finally ran out of my stash of EOS, last oil change was with ZDDP.