SM #'s and two questions - CAI and oil additive

87-WE2

Back in business!!
Everybody always says to post up SM #'s for opinions. I never have, so here goes. All readings taken at idle. Only KR recorded since new chip 6-8 mos ago was during tweaking, and maybe a 1.9-2.1 during a 3-2 downshift.

O2 - 746 & falling slowly
AF - 04-05
L8 - 28-32
Bat - 13.6 - 13.9
Int - 128
BLM - 136
MPH - 00
CLT - 175
ATS - 95
RPM - 800-850
TPS - .42
IAC - 24
CC - all over the place, climbing anywhere from 2 counts to 9 counts at idle

Question #1 on a CAI requires a little background. PO installed one of the old ATR ram air intakes. It scoops air from under the car (same place as the IC scoop), turns 90* to driver side, turns 90* up & goes behind headlight, turns 90* to go underhood, into factory airbox, 90* up again, 90* back to level, then into the MAF, then a couple of slight bends into the turbo. Long roller coaster ride for air. I'm considering a TinMan CAI, but haven't pulled the trigger. When I bought the car, the PO gave me a bigger K&N filter & told me it would fit in the factory airbox (which it does NOT). So I got this bright idea to improvise by removing the factory filter housing, stick the new bigger filter there with no housing on it, and attach it to the single 90* where the ATS is, then back to the factory MAF. Took it for a test drive and it sounded WAY COOL, but at WOT, power fell off terribly. I checked AF on the SM and it was only going to 180. TPS would go to 4.60, so I know the mat wasn't in the way. I WOT'd a few more times and my O2's would really reall weird like 011, 120 - really low, but I never got any KR. Is this a simple case of TOO MUCH airflow for my combo? I am thoroughly confused by this, so if anyone can explain I am here to learn! BTW, I did put it all back the way it was and everything is back to normal.

Question #2 on oil additives. I needed an oil change before running at the track tomorrow (still running factory flat tappet cam). Nobody around here sells ZDDPlus (i will be buying a case from one of our vendors now), but in the process of checking all the parts stores within a 5 mile radius at lunch today I found a Lucas product with Zinc in it that is for engine break-in. It's called Engine Break-in Oil Additive with TB-Zinc Plus. Came in a 16 oz bottle that says to leave in for 1000 miles, then change oil. It's made for new rebuilds. You guys think this is OK to run until the ZDDPlus gets here? OK to run at the track tomorrow? I'm not really interested in wiping a lobe, but it would speed my purchase of a roller setup, rockers, timing chain, cover, etc. etc. Thanks for any and all comments!!

The Lucas stuff will work. My builder uses it successfully on flat tappet engines, but ZDDP is preferred, IMO, and it substitutes a much lower portion of oil. I think you'll be fine with it though; especially if you don't have too heavy of valve springs.

Thanks for the response. As far as I know the valve springs are original; my trap speed indicates that as well. I have my suspicions that my low trap speed may have been related to the Pit Bull chip that was in it at the time of the run in my sig. I hope to know for sure tonight after finally running at the track with the TurboTweak chip. If I get a trap speed below 100 tonight, I'm going to have some discussions with my valve springs.

Thanks for the response. As far as I know the valve springs are original; my trap speed indicates that as well. I have my suspicions that my low trap speed may have been related to the Pit Bull chip that was in it at the time of the run in my sig. I hope to know for sure tonight after finally running at the track with the TurboTweak chip. If I get a trap speed below 100 tonight, I'm going to have some discussions with my valve springs.

You'll probably need some race gas or alky to trap 100mph. It's been a while since I ran my car all stock, but if memory serves, I didn't break 100 without race gas as I couldn't get enough timing in it on pump gas @ 15psi. Race gas will allow more boost too; I think the stocker turbo will run 22psi or so efficiently before overheating the charge. I always ran a TT chip though. Back in the day, with your pitbull chip even, you could get away with enough timing to get it done on pump gas but we have crap gas now relatively speaking. I think that air intake may be holding you back too a bit but I've never used one, just jogging my memory of what I've read on here. Please post results and welcome to the addiction. There cars are very rewarding when you take the time to understand them like you are, and you get a great sense of accomplishment meeting goals. Anybody can stuff an LS engine in a car and go fast. You're doing it with a 25 year old V6 of all things. It's good though as many have been there done that, so you get to enjoy the benefit of years of other's trials and tribulations; be grateful. Valvesprings are a good place to start.

Yes sir, I'll be on 104 no-lead, same as previous runs. I'm not going to play with boost yet until I get the boost gauge and FP gauge in it. Next performance mod (after CAI) will likely be alky so I can bump up the boost. Then I'm sure I'll be looking for a turbo, and a PTE SLIC, and then a cam, and then a......, and then...

I've been addicted to these cars since 1986 - it's just taken me 25 years to get one. I've had the car for a year now (about 3,000 miles) and love it. I've cursed it plenty also.