Oh No!!!!!!

My information says: 1975 and later v6 engine require that the valve guides be cut down on camshafts with lifts above .420" And your signature says that you have a camshaft in your v6 that is bigger than that. If the retainer is hitting the valve guide it can cause all the rocker problems you mentioned, broken rocker shafts, bent push rods. I would recommend that you need a cam button. If any of the lifters came out of their bores and the cam did walk forward or even backward, part of a lobe or bearing surface on the camshaft could be in the way of letting the lifter fall back down into it's bore.

Oh sh it war wagon may be right

Oh sh it war wagon may be right

damn well i got the left head off i will get to the other maybe sometime next week this will be the 3rd time ive had the heads worked on to be specific what should i tell the machinist i need ???

damn well i got the left head off i will get to the other maybe sometime next week this will be the 3rd time ive had the heads worked on to be specific what should i tell the machinist i need ???

is there anything else i can change in the heads while i have them off for more hp

If you had the time since your talking the heads off, you could do some of your own port work. You can portmatch the heads to the intake gasket your using that will help out. You could also do a little valve pocket/bowl work but you will be forced to take the valves back out of the heads and it takes a little longer to do. I'd just get the guides cut if you have too and do a port match on the heads to the intake gasket, and maybe had the mating surfaces trued.
I'll try to find out about how much the guides need cut OR I'm pretty sure Charlie knows.
As for the timing chain spring I might have one from my old engines i have to look. I don't know if you can buy that part, I assume you can though.

If you had the time since your talking the heads off, you could do some of your own port work. You can portmatch the heads to the intake gasket your using that will help out. You could also do a little valve pocket/bowl work but you will be forced to take the valves back out of the heads and it takes a little longer to do. I'd just get the guides cut if you have too and do a port match on the heads to the intake gasket, and maybe had the mating surfaces trued.
I'll try to find out about how much the guides need cut OR I'm pretty sure Charlie knows.
As for the timing chain spring I might have one from my old engines i have to look. I don't know if you can buy that part, I assume you can though.

well i got both heads off no piston damage the walls seem smooth.....could u explain the port matching..like what will i need and etc or a write up....i searched everywhere for the spring with no luck

Go to the engine section and look at the stickys. There's one called "follow my port and polish project". It should give you a better idea of what you can do to it.
As far as cutting the guides you shouldn't need to go to far. Some of us have been debating the max lift before you have to cut the guides. The tool to do it is about $80 and I haven't gotten one yet for myself. I prefer to cut them to the nub but you have to change to TTA exhaust valves and use seals on the exhaust when you do this. If your machinist can do it you need about .040 to be good.
I don't want to let the cat to far out of the bag but I'm a little excited about 1 of my projects so I'll give you guys a peek. It wil become a thread when I'm done with it. This is for all of us that want better flow to the turbo. I have been thinking about it and a stepped exhaust system would work a little better to spool the turbo. It's just tacked together for now so I can see where I need to improve it.:biggrin: I'll get someone to test it from the HA section to see how it does since they have the same factory headers as the 83 so we'll see what hapens when I'm done with them.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 236
well the heads are at another machine shop he popped 2 springs off and notice that all my valve guides had been replaced ...then he pinpointed my vallve seals were a little bigger than my valve guide...so now he's cutting down the guides to .040 and checking everything hes going to reseal it using the right valve seals

Awesome! Great update you will feel much better now and your Buick v6 will too.

Awesome! Great update you will feel much better now and your Buick v6 will too.

i hope this time the engine doesnt fail...i was sort of confused he asked me did i want valve seals or some sort of black rubber cap..he said he used the cap looking things on his hotrod...he thing said he was going to cut my guides 4000 = .040..will regular valve seals fit on the guide tightly???
still trying to decide on rockers and pushrods any ideas

The intakes use seals and the exhaust don't. There's a groove at the top of the exhaust valves that will tear up seals and acts like a pump to keep the oil under control. You just need to tell him use the factory eals on the intakes.

The intakes use seals and the exhaust don't. There's a groove at the top of the exhaust valves that will tear up seals and acts like a pump to keep the oil under control. You just need to tell him use the factory eals on the intakes.

I NEEED HELP went to advance to get some parts for my car I asked for a timing dampner when he showed the options for it there was a left and right,...what do i need............then i asked for a cam thrust button there was 2 more option one for intregal drive and the other drive gear which one do i need could someone give me a part number so I can get exactly what I need this engine is killing me

See if they can look up the cam bumper for the TTA. It has the roller cam button and it works much better. Tell him you need a timing chain tensioner. If they think there's a right and left they have no idea of what you're asking for. The tensioner goes on the pass side of the block. This pic isn't the best but it should give you a better idea.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.JPG
    DSCN0001.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 209
See if they can look up the cam bumper for the TTA. It has the roller cam button and it works much better. Tell him you need a timing chain tensioner. If they think there's a right and left they have no idea of what you're asking for. The tensioner goes on the pass side of the block. This pic isn't the best but it should give you a better idea.

well I was in luck today parts store down the street had 12 pushrods, a cam button....there was 2 timing components....i was like let me get a timing chain tensioner they replied no such thing on our motors in stead its timing damper...was is a left one is a right...i got the left because they had it in stock...surpisingly it came with the spring i was looking for and the black piece thats held by a screw....the left looked like a piece of some type of plate or something

Post a pic of what you got as far as the timing tensioner. That doesn't sound quite right.

ok the first picture is what i have plus it came with the spring...the second pic is the left hand timing damper...do i need the second one?

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 128
Thats all I had when I put it on. kinda a pain to get the spring on with the timing set on but its possible.