Oh No!!!!!!

LilSpann601

well today i drove her and i solved the overheating issue she was timed wrong...after retiming her i got her running but the take off was so slow i could beat it on my gokart but once rolling it got a lil pep...then after 2 hours of driving the performance got really really poor and i started hearing a knocking noise..so i parked her removed both valve covers...guess what both rocker arms are broken in half one rod was bent and 2 valve lifters were out of there channel can someone explain to me what could of happened???? also every valve lifter slides smoothly in there channel except one it jams everytime it gets mid way in the channel....can i save this motor or just throw it in the trash???? do u think i can just get new rods and rocker arms

You need some heavy duty shafts and pushrods. You do mean the shafts and not the rockers, right? If you broke a rocker you may be having an issue with coil bind. The engine isn't trashed, it may just need to babied a little longer. How did you set the timing and where did you set it? What gas is in her?

You need some heavy duty shafts and pushrods. You do mean the shafts and not the rockers, right? If you broke a rocker you may be having an issue with coil bind. The engine isn't trashed, it may just need to babied a little longer. How did you set the timing and where did you set it? What gas is in her?

Well the both shafts where broken exactly in the middle...the rockers didnt break the plastic piece that holds them onto the rocker arm came out....then one push worth got bent....does anyone make a kit with pushrods,rockers and shafts...that will fit my 81 n/a

Well the both shafts where broken exactly in the middle...the rockers didnt break the plastic piece that holds them onto the rocker arm came out....then one push worth got bent....does anyone make a kit with pushrods,rockers and shafts...that will fit my 81 n/a

so i need oversized pushrods...are there anykind of steel rocker arm shafts and is there a better way to hold the rockers to the arm..instead of these little plastic things???

Those shafts look ok but you need to go to some of the vendors to see what they have available. I've got some shafts for my roller rockers that look like you could lift a truck with. The whole set up cost me about $300 but I doubt I'll ever have a rocker failure.
As far as the lifter, run your finger in it and see if there's a burr or something in it. You can get a hone to clean it up some if you need to.

Those shafts look ok but you need to go to some of the vendors to see what they have available. I've got some shafts for my roller rockers that look like you could lift a truck with. The whole set up cost me about $300 but I doubt I'll ever have a rocker failure.
As far as the lifter, run your finger in it and see if there's a burr or something in it. You can get a hone to clean it up some if you need to.

ok i think im going to get these shafts...should i reuse my rockers...and as for as pushrods...would u go stock or oversized i didn't see any heavy dutys ones

Don't go back with a stock pushrod. Please check some of the vendors and see if one of them have some better pushrods. There out there and not to expensive. You can't use a much bigger pushrod without problems with the clearance.

Don't go back with a stock pushrod. Please check some of the vendors and see if one of them have some better pushrods. There out there and not to expensive. You can't use a much bigger pushrod without problems with the clearance.

is there a certain length pushrod and diameter???

Stock legnth and 5/16" diameter. You can get a thicker wall pushrod with hardened ends which should help some. You never said what gas was in the car though. You are running the high octane aren't you?

Stock legnth and 5/16" diameter. You can get a thicker wall pushrod with hardened ends which should help some. You never said what gas was in the car though. You are running the high octane aren't you?

93..........i think this is why my engine was making a weird type tapping noise I hope...should I reuse rockers?

93..........i think this is why my engine was making a weird type tapping noise I hope...should I reuse rockers?

Did you get new when you did the engine or reuse the ones you had? If you reused the ones you had the replace them.
If you can get some E-85 do a 50/50 mix but take it easy on the engine until it's broken in. This will give you about 105 octane to keep the knock away.

Are your valve guides cut for the aftermarket camshaft? The lifter not sliding down in the bore is the worst thing you said so far. I really hope there is a cam button on this engine. Make sure there isn't any part of the cam that isn't ment to there lined up with with the lifter bore. still hard to say. You could have very well been hearing ping.

Did you get new when you did the engine or reuse the ones you had? If you reused the ones you had the replace them.
If you can get some E-85 do a 50/50 mix but take it easy on the engine until it's broken in. This will give you about 105 octane to keep the knock away.

no i reused the rocker arm shaft rockers pushrods....i hope this is the reason why my engine lost all its power and the funny knocking sound

no i reused the rocker arm shaft rockers pushrods....i hope this is the reason why my engine lost all its power and the funny knocking sound

I was told i didn't need to have them cut.Any other tricks to get it back smooth besides honing? I didn't use a cam button. I checked the cam thru the little holes no major damage...i also rotated the motor to see if i can hear a knock in the bottom end sound quiet

Get the heads rebuilt. If a valve sticks closed it will destroy rods and lifters ect..

My information says: 1975 and later v6 engine require that the valve guides be cut down on camshafts with lifts above .420" And your signature says that you have a camshaft in your v6 that is bigger than that. If the retainer is hitting the valve guide it can cause all the rocker problems you mentioned, broken rocker shafts, bent push rods. I would recommend that you need a cam button. If any of the lifters came out of their bores and the cam did walk forward or even backward, part of a lobe or bearing surface on the camshaft could be in the way of letting the lifter fall back down into it's bore.