Official 25.3 stock suspension Regal build

I have to run at 3250# and I'll be lucky to get that light but that's the goal here.

To get to 3000# I'd need carbon doors and trunk lid for sure. I will never put Lexan in place of the glass.

Hi Dusty

nice work in progress ! please Dusty let me if you find some body parts in
carbon fiber Stephan looking that too but no luck for now

btw thanks to keep post

claude

Sweet.... What's with all these 25.3 cars getting built right now?? :confused:

Must be those PTC converters getting the job done!!!!

A few more pics

Pile of parts from the rear of the car. Old notched frame rails, stock spring perches, bumper shocks. About 40#'s of stuff no longer needed.

New parachute mount. Old was 7lbs. New is 1lb including the support bar that will run down to the tether mount. And the new glass bumper. It will not be bolted to the frame but will be riveted to the bumper fillers with a light support piece under the car.

And the new ride height I'm shooting for. Old tubs were cut out today.

Attachments

• 25.3-4.jpg
    25.3-4.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,004
  • 25.3-5.jpg
    25.3-5.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 25.3-6.jpg
    25.3-6.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 989
Looking really good Dusty! I pointed out your car on TV to my 3 year old son, he kept saying "Go Dusty!" It was pretty awesome! Way to represent brother! ----Jeremy

A few more pics

Pile of parts from the rear of the car. Old notched frame rails, stock spring perches, bumper shocks. About 40#'s of stuff no longer needed.

New parachute mount. Old was 7lbs. New is 1lb including the support bar that will run down to the tether mount. And the new glass bumper. It will not be bolted to the frame but will be riveted to the bumper fillers with a light support piece under the car.

And the new ride height I'm shooting for. Old tubs were cut out today.

now thats how it should be setting
lookn good
you should do like i did and get someone to fiberglass the rear bumper to the fillers and make it all one piece then the fillers will hold up the complete rear section
oh and you need to buy alot of aluminum bolts and nuts this would be a good spot for them i can tell you alot of other places to if you want:rolleyes:
looks good boy I have really started missing my car here in the last two months

Today's progress

After trying to build this rear section in the car we decided it's just easier to fit it all in the car then set it out and weld it all on the table. Not much was left of the frame in front of the tires anyway so we just cut it off with a cutoff wheel and set it out. The spare tire well has been cut out so all that is needed is to cut a slit in the driver side of the trunk pan and this whole assembly will slide up into the car. If you look close, alot will be under the floorpan and will never be seen. We'll then weld the frame rails back to the original frame. We still have to add some gussets to the bars but the major framework is laid out.

Attachments

• 25.3-7.jpg
    25.3-7.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 915
  • 25.3-8.jpg
    25.3-8.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 912
Looks good Dusty. There does seem to be a rash of 25.3 spec cars under construction. I was like you in that my original plan was 25.5 but once we got going on it and looked at the SFI book, it's not that much more of an issue to go 25.3 and be done with it rather than wishing you had down the road.

Do you think you're going to be able to get it down on a 325? It will be tight even with the razor thin rail. The curve of the quarter panel skin also limits how far down on the tire you can get it. Buddy of mine ran into these issues trying to stuff a 315/60 under his GN and sit the car down low on it. I sent him a link - maybe he'll chime in.

Looks good Dusty. There does seem to be a rash of 25.3 spec cars under construction. I was like you in that my original plan was 25.5 but once we got going on it and looked at the SFI book, it's not that much more of an issue to go 25.3 and be done with it rather than wishing you had down the road.

Do you think you're going to be able to get it down on a 325? It will be tight even with the razor thin rail. The curve of the quarter panel skin also limits how far down on the tire you can get it. Buddy of mine ran into these issues trying to stuff a 315/60 under his GN and sit the car down low on it. I sent him a link - maybe he'll chime in.

The pic I posted a few days ago in this thread is the 325/50 and it fits good. The curve of the fender is definately an issue when using a 30" tire. The tire has to go way in to get the height down on the 30" tire. I have some 295/65's coming to try next week. IMO the 28" tire fits much better but when everyone else is using the 315/60.....I know I need to make it fit.

I have the new TRZ rear housing ready to go in but I may have jumped the gun on it. I bet I can narrow it a little more than I originally planned.

To put the picture in perspective.

The tallest horizontal tube is right under the package tray where the factory trunk springs are located. So it looks tall in the picture but it all fits under the rear window.

The short tubes near the high spot of the frame is where the new spring cups will be welded to locate the stock location springs.

Looks good Dusty. For your safety you are doing the right thing. The fact that "stock suspension" cars need to be 25.3 to be legal still insane to me..:eek::D

Thanks for the suggestion on the g-box, Dusty. I've got one on order....

Project is looking real good. I'll bookmark this and keep an eye on it for some good ideas. :cool:

I don't know if it helps, but I narrowed my rear 3/4" per side from factory 52.5", with 15x10, 5.5 bs, and the 29.5x11.5 m/t et's fit perfect with 1/2" clearance to the inside frame rail and 5/8 to the wheel well lip. That's with shaving the frame to inside skin like you did. The m/t's are a 13.7 section width...same as a 315 if I recall...

Another update.

Rear section is in. Currently working on the bars inder the floor.

Attachments

• 25.3-8.jpg
    25.3-8.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 807
  • 25.3-9.jpg
    25.3-9.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 799
  • 25.3-10.jpg
    25.3-10.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 785
Thanks for the suggestion on the g-box, Dusty. I've got one on order....

Project is looking real good. I'll bookmark this and keep an eye on it for some good ideas. :cool:

I don't know if it helps, but I narrowed my rear 3/4" per side from factory 52.5", with 15x10, 5.5 bs, and the 29.5x11.5 m/t et's fit perfect with 1/2" clearance to the inside frame rail and 5/8 to the wheel well lip. That's with shaving the frame to inside skin like you did. The m/t's are a 13.7 section width...same as a 315 if I recall...

I narrowed it 1/2" on each side plus I was running a 3/8 spacer. I hope it's enough. If it isn't I'll have to wait until after the TB.com event to narrow some more. I didn't intend to change the wheel tubs but it needed it.......so that leads to more room that I could use.

Dusty,

Looks great!!!

If you need some nice billet wheel spacers let me know, I might have some around here :)

I should stop looking at this... I want to send my car over there!! :)

Dusty,

Looks great!!!

If you need some nice billet wheel spacers let me know, I might have some around here :)

I should stop looking at this... I want to send my car over there!! :)

If I need anything it will probably be more backspacing. I got the 295/65's in yesterday. Next week I'll be assembling the new rear and setting it all up in the car.

Send the car on over;)

The tin work in the trunk and the rear firewall will be complete today. Driver seat has been mocked up so the final pieces of the funny car cage can be built.

Hopefully all chassis work will be complete the end of next week so it will be off for paint. I'm going to seal up all the tin work with silicone then spray all the panels with a textured paint. Roll cage tubes will be painted a gray or dark gray color.

I could not find anything smaller than a 36" wheel tub. I didn't want a tub that looks like it belongs in Warren Johnsons car so I kept the outer stock wheel tub and we made a pattern to match. Then I had a local sheetmetal guy roll out some pieces to match the contour of the stock tubs.

Attachments

• 25.3-10.jpg
    25.3-10.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 707