No boost...The title says it all

If and when you remove the 49 take it apart and look at the surfaces. The inside of the compressor housing will tell a big tale. You would also see radial scoring on the turbine scroll. Contact is what you are looking for.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

If and when you remove the 49 take it apart and look at the surfaces. The inside of the compressor housing will tell a big tale. You would also see radial scoring on the turbine scroll. Contact is what you are looking for.

I just want to put my heat shield back on and pretend this has all been just a bad dream!
And have my old car back.
:D

I spent all of last weekend wrenching - and now here I'm looking at part deux.
:mad:

I've never had a turbo apart -but I suppose it will be in my future.
I was kind of hoping to practice on a trashed unit first.
Although - that is exactly what I may be doing.
I did send a Bison a PM just asking if he had any profound words of wisdom before I set sail on my Viking funeral cruise.

Ha....its not nearly as complex as you fear. Pull the bolts on the backing plate, remove compressor housing being careful not to damage the big oring. You will get a good look at the back of the housing. The rest will become obvious. There may be a nick on the turbine scroll where the blade is forced to rest causing the no spin until you give it a nudge with your finger.....kinda like my wife.

Go into your house and go to the liquor cabinet. Grab yourself a nice tall glass. Fill it about halfway with ice. Pour your favorite whiskey over the ice. Sit in your favorite recliner relax and face reality. Your turbo is bad. Put it in a box label it with bisons address and ship it to him to rebuild. you will be satisfied

Just a little tough love good luck

Ha....its not nearly as complex as you fear. Pull the bolts on the backing plate, remove compressor housing being careful not to damage the big oring. You will get a good look at the back of the housing. The rest will become obvious. There may be a nick on the turbine scroll where the blade is forced to rest causing the no spin until you give it a nudge with your finger.....kinda like my wife.

Thanks.

I didn't figure it to be a Saturn V F-1 engine, and I always sort of look at it like "built by man - rebuilt by this man"

I don't normally trade wife pictures - but here is my ex.
Has a MAC forcefield - in that she wears too much makeup.
Not so good with young kids or small dogs - but great around other animals - especially flying monkeys.
Is not really a water person though.
0-60 in 4 sec on a broomstick.

Attachments

• My ex.png
    My ex.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 95
Go into your house and go to the liquor cabinet. Grab yourself a nice tall glass. Fill it about halfway with ice. Pour your favorite whiskey over the ice. Sit in your favorite recliner relax and face reality. Your turbo is bad. Put it in a box label it with bisons address and ship it to him to rebuild. you will be satisfied

Just a little tough love good luck

I can't handle the truth! :(

Neither could I. I went through this about a year ago and like you, I did not want to admit the truth. I shipped my turbo the bison thinking that was not a damn thing wrong with it. When I got it back get stuck it back on, everything was perfectly fine. Except my wallet was a little thinner. I'm definitely going to stay tuned to see the outcome of this one. Again, good luck to you sir. Hope you get that pretty car fixed back on the road soon.

Neither could I. I went through this about a year ago and like you, I did not want to admit the truth. I shipped my turbo the bison thinking that was not a damn thing wrong with it. When I got it back get stuck it back on, everything was perfectly fine. Except my wallet was a little thinner. I'm definitely going to stay tuned to see the outcome of this one. Again, good luck to you sir. Hope you get that pretty car fixed back on the road soon.

Sigh.
Big sigh.

At least I might be able to limp by on the stocker for a while - hopefully.

Bryan - Phoneguy - said about 4 pages ago he saw a new turbo in my future.
Blimey!

The good to come out of all of this was I found a ton of little - and some not so little - stupid things and fixed them.
I wouldn't have found them just doing some lame vacuum gauge test - or maybe even smoke.

It's amazing how it went from beastly to cowardly in the span of an evening.
I feel like a little kid - 'I broke my toy!" :(
(Shrugs.)

Sigh.
Big sigh.

At least I might be able to limp by on the stocker for a while - hopefully.

Bryan - Phoneguy - said about 4 pages ago he saw a new turbo in my future.
Blimey!

It's amazing how it went from beastly to cowardly in the span of an evening.
I feel like a little kid - 'I broke my toy!" :(
(Shrugs.)
LOL........

I broke my toy too....:mad:

Bryan

Just got caught up on this thread and yeah, it takes little to spin a good turbo. The engine just idling should def do it especially with the puck closed. Prob even puck open too.

I didnt read the entire thread but the following can/should be checked for as long as shaft and compressor spin free and the engine doenst have any misfire:
broke shaft (not likely without oil leaking everywhere.) seen this more than once and once it didnt dump much oil
shaft nut not torqued. Ive seen this and it was only a little loose but not loose enough to let the compressor move but not hit the housing and the thread locker still held
wastegate 100%closed. Ive seen them not
intercooler obstruction (not likely)
exhaust restriction (more likely) Ive seen this

Remove the air inlet and have a friend load the engine and see if the shaft stalls from the thrust.

I didnt read the entire thread but the following can/should be checked for as long as shaft and compressor spin free and the engine doenst have any misfire:
broke shaft (not likely without oil leaking everywhere.) seen this more than once and once it didnt dump much oil
shaft nut not torqued. Ive seen this and it was only a little loose but not loose enough to let the compressor move but not hit the housing and the thread locker still held
wastegate 100%closed. Ive seen them not
intercooler obstruction (not likely)
exhaust restriction (more likely) Ive seen this

Remove the air inlet and have a friend load the engine and see if the shaft stalls from the thrust.

Thanks Bison

You said:
I didnt read the entire thread but the following can/should be checked for: No worries - it was 4 pages of finding and fixing misc issues - and chasing a few ghosts

as long as shaft and compressor spin free - Define Free - as once I break it loose with my finger - it does spin "freely"

and the engine doenst have any misfire: - Runs great - even has good power without the turbo

broke shaft (not likely without oil leaking everywhere.) seen this more than once and once it didnt dump much oil - Both halves are connected - have dropped the DP and spun it from both sides.

shaft nut not torqued. Ive seen this and it was only a little loose but not loose enough to let the compressor move but not hit the housing and the thread locker still held - I'll remove the DP again - and recheck

wastegate 100%closed. Ive seen them not - Checked - & re-checked; Looks fine; Of course; with the integrated WG on the DP - you can only check so much, and then have to rely on a little faith that it is working properly

intercooler obstruction (not likely) - Tested with boost tester; at 25 PSI and plenty of CFM - not obstructions

exhaust restriction (more likely) Ive seen this - Dropping cat at DP this morning - will advise

Remove the air inlet and have a friend load the engine and see if the shaft stalls from the thrust. - Runs like crap without the (stock) MAF; can barely keep it running ??? Runs great with MAF pipe and MAf; but then off course, can't see the compressor...ugghh

Just got caught up on this thread and yeah, it takes little to spin a good turbo. The engine just idling should def do it especially with the puck closed. Prob even puck open too.

Gracias for your worthwhile feedback

** UPDATE **

Well - again -sorry - but I can tell you what it is NOT!

I'm no rocket scientist - but if I didn't know better - I'd say there was no way my CAT is plugged up. :rolleyes:

Get a load of this.
Must have been to sneak by and pass the inspection / emissions in MD or something.

Attachments

• MISC 17 006.JPG
    MISC 17 006.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • MISC 17 009.JPG
    MISC 17 009.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 87
My 84 in Texas had a gutted cat and never failed. Another great byproduct of wasted spark :)

My 84 in Texas had a gutted cat and never failed. Another great byproduct of wasted spark :)

Thank gawd Georgia exempts my 86 & 87.
25 years and older.
Goodbye cat - hello cutout.

Yeah catalytic converters EGR; even PCV.
Not feeling any of them.

Back to prepping this stock turbo.

Missouri exempts the vehicles as well.....BUT,.... ALL the emissions equipment that came from the factory must still be in place even though the car does not get the sniffer test. Most shops here will let my car fly without the cat, EGR, PCV but I did have a local shop flunk me for the cat missing several years ago.

Bryan