Newb in Pittsburgh

DentMan

Hey folks just wanted to get a post on here, thanks for all the killer intel on these great old cars. I stumbled across a mostly original 87 GN t top from a dealer of mine. It came out of west virginia and as far as I can tell through all the vin checks - carfax, dmv.gov, autocheck and the WVDOT (telephone call) this GN has 10,800 original miles. body is straight, few small dings paint and all numbers match.

I took it down to a long time friend Tim P. aka turbotimmer i think on this forum and he concurs its an original prom queen, even has what appears to be original air filter and tires. The question, mod it or stay stock lol thats been the question.

If it is what you say -bone stock - then keep it that way and resto the needed areas.
Right now - the market is better for stock, low mileage units.

Plenty of modded ones for hot rodding that end up selling for much less than what the guys have in them.

If it's completely stock, then I'd say that you should absolutely keep it that way.
However, you may want to make sure that it will keep running healthy and not hurt it self. As a minimum, you should replace the old fuel pump with a better flowing unit. The original was barely able to keep up with stock demands when it was new. The original injectors were a poor design, are now clogged and should be replaced with better flowing ones. You'll most likely want to get a Turbo Tweak chip to go with them. This will improve driveability, gas mileage, performance and engine safety. While your in there, the tiered old valve springs should now be replaced. This will work well for the Razors alky kit you'll want to get to pep things up a bit and clean all that carbon off the tops of your pistons. At this point, traction will be an issue. A nice set of Mickey Thompson drag radials will complement the ported heads and roller cam that you'll be buying next summer, after that new mustang kicks sand in your face. And don't even think about showing up at the track with out that roll bar. ;)

Warning: These cars want to haul ass like no other. Only you and your wallet can hold them back...

Welcome to the site. Good luck and happy spooling...
Mike Barnard

X2 - yeah, it's those 25 year old "stock" rubber vacuum lines, bushings, fuel pumps and other things that can eat your lunch.
I'd carefully replace.
Then of course - you get into that whole Barrett Jackson nightmare of having to replace with NOS stuff that still have the stickers and labels on them - to keep it bone stock "looking".
You spend more time making sure the bar code label on the valve cover is misapplied at exactly the same bad angle the factory used..or the lettering and font on the vacuum line label tag is exactly correct like the factory - stuff like that.
Ugghhh...

I took it down to a long time friend Tim P. aka turbotimmer i think on this forum and he concurs its an original prom queen, even has what appears to be original air filter and tires. The question, mod it or stay stock lol thats been the question.

I'd probably rip those Eagle GT's off - since if they are original - well - ya know.

haha! great replies thanks guys, for now im getting ready to do the spring cleaning. all fluids/filters etc. bought an adjustable wastegate, the TSB was never done on the fixed position one. i removed the airbox yesterday to check out the filter, and pow its GOTTA be the original which of course isnt good for the car. Ill get some pics lined up after i get the hood closed.

Turbotimmer and I were talking last week, and we agreed the first thing a new GN owner wants to buy is a second GN lol. Im most likely going to just keep it stock sans all new filters and a k&n cone. We did find though it has an old chip in it, Timmer said that company been outta business for years. ATS maybe? Once i get the cleaning and filter work done we're gonna dial in the air fuel and see where Im at. thanks for the warm welcome guys

Why would you want to mod up a West VA, rusty floored 10K mile T top car, or any T top for any reason? T top cars are cruisers.

10K miles or not, if it's from West VA, there's rust, that might prove to be a stumbling block...........

The fact is, you can buy a completely modded up, cleaned up T top car for some reasonable money these days. Why chop up an original to get the same result?

Jus'sayin........

Good luck.