New tranny = lots of issues!!!!!!!

Sorry if you had trouble understanding my original question when I asked "Any suggestions on what to try". I talked to the guy at Transmission depot who assured me the tranny would work fine in the Grand National, are you telling me those guys running TH-400's have the wrong tranny's and their cars won't run either???? I didn't start the post to get criticized, if you can't help then don't contribute.......:mad:

I agree,
You asked for help. It was given and continues to be so, but some of the resident "experts" can do nothing better than kick you while you're down.
It was already stated that you would have been wise to go to a reputable builder, reiterating the same theme seems pretty childish to me.
Maybe they have no real TECH info to offer.

What state are you from? ( you should add this to your profile ).

You have Bruce in Ca, Len in NV, Jimmy in IL, Brian in MI, Janis and Lonnie in OH, Chris in NJ and I'm probably missing someone down south??

Pulling it and sending it back to the seller is probably not the best idea. I'd recommend having one of the many tranny guru's on the board get this fixed for you and move on. They can solve your issue and probably upgrade the valve body if they feel it's necessary.

But this trans is not as desirable as the BRF and the 400 is arguably the king of production trannies and is a great upgrade for stout GN's. ;)

I have an crf in my car.Works great,But mine does have the correct govener in it.I also have the grand national seperator plate labelded X.I have no shift kit in it i just have a very stiff spring in the 1-2 acumulator.It shifts quick at part throttle and firm on 3/4 to full throttle.When i was having problems with my trans i called art carr himself to get some other ideas and he told me that the crf trans would work just fine.So i would say that you should be fine with that coded trans.I would check to see what gov is in it.I would bet they have a non gn gov in it.

This is great info to have, thanks for this. I bet you're right on what you say about the governor. I still have my old BR-F tranny. Could I swap these parts out of it into the CR-F?????? Thanks.

I agree,
You asked for help. It was given and continues to be so, but some of the resident "experts" can do nothing better than kick you while you're down.
It was already stated that you would have been wise to go to a reputable builder, reiterating the same theme seems pretty childish to me.
Maybe they have no real TECH info to offer.

Thanks Jake, I received your PM as well. Much appreciated.

That would be good idea, If your old tranny shifted correctly, that will eliminate all the guess wirk on getting your shift points back to where they should be. Just swap over the govener, valve body, and seperator plate. If you would like call one of the vendors and get a good shift kit for it.

A little more info.........I just got back in last night and took the car out for a short drive. When shifting manually into 2nd I noticed it's like it shifts a 3rd time while in 2nd, or at least what appears to be a 3rd time. Could this be the TCC solenoid kicking in too soon? I think someone mentioned this earlier but I wanted to see if my symptons sounded like this is what it is.......So I start in 1st, shift to 2nd......leave it there and within 5 seconds it shifts like a 3rd time. There is definite RPM drops on this "3rd" shift as well.

A little more info.........I just got back in last night and took the car out for a short drive. When shifting manually into 2nd I noticed it's like it shifts a 3rd time while in 2nd, or at least what appears to be a 3rd time. Could this be the TCC solenoid kicking in too soon? I think someone mentioned this earlier but I wanted to see if my symptons sounded like this is what it is.......So I start in 1st, shift to 2nd......leave it there and within 5 seconds it shifts like a 3rd time. There is definite RPM drops on this "3rd" shift as well.

It sounds like the TCC solenoid is sticking. There's no fluid path to the converter clutch in 1st. If the converter locks as soon as you shift to second then the solenoid is stuck.

Jim

If you knew these trans enough you could find out why the CRF is not working. Ive had them work in the past but i cant speculate on why yours isnt. Could be a lot of things. My suggestion is to call Chris at CK and buy a BR vb and matching governor as well as his recalibration kit and servo. Install the parts following the directions and you should be ok from there. You dont have the knowledge to start playing with the calibration and drop the pan several times to pull the vb or you wouldnt have posted here. The easiest thing to do is swap out what i said. You could even pull the vb off your other trans but id still use the recalibration kit and servo from CK.

rather than doin all this work why don't you send the trans back ??? has a warranty doesn't it ?? :confused: then send your old BRF one out to get done.. may save a lot of aggravation :confused:

DO a search on Brian Hofer. Read his feed back. Get a BRF from him and dont look back. I beat the hell out of mine and so far so good.....

rather than doin all this work why don't you send the trans back ??? has a warranty doesn't it ?? :confused: then send your old BRF one out to get done.. may save a lot of aggravation :confused:

It would cost me $275 shipping to send it back, they want 2-3 weeks for "inspection" then if they don't find anything wrong I have to pay to have it shipped back to me...........yeah, it has a warranty but the shipping is killer. I also don't have an extra $2500 for a tranny rebuild

DO a search on Brian Hofer. Read his feed back. Get a BRF from him and dont look back. I beat the hell out of mine and so far so good.....

If I supplied my old BR-F tranny, what would it cost for a good high performance rebuild?????

If I supplied my old BR-F tranny, what would it cost for a good high performance rebuild?????

You order a tranny form him. Pay about $1500. When you get it ship him your core. He refunds you about $200-$300. These numbers are ballpark. Look him up and PM or call him. Super nice guy and he knows his stuff. I have been thru countless local tranny shops in 16 years of playing with these cars. His tranny is the best hands down.

I bought a new tranny from TCI and it seems to have the same issues. First they sent it with the wrong governer so they sent me the right one to put in. however it seems like under WOT it shifts soft and does not hold the boost. any advice?

As a followup to end the saga of my tranny, it is fixed!!!!!!!!! I swapped out my BRF valve body from the old tranny, the 4 wire TCC solenoid and the governor. This all added up to nice firm quick shifts in all gears with overdrive kicking in and working when it's supposed to!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, these parts were swapped from my BRF to a CRF tranny, they fit perfectly and it fixed my CRF tranny's issue of staying in overdrive when coming to a stop. The CRF only had a 3 wire TCC solenoid vs. the 4 wire BRF. Anyway, it shifts great, I'm happy and now I can focus on the alky install!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear you got it fixed Excobra.:) Did you mean the 1 wire and 2 wire TCC solenoid? I haven't heard of a 3 or 4 wire solenoid.:confused:

Glad to hear you got it fixed Excobra.:) Did you mean the 1 wire and 2 wire TCC solenoid? I haven't heard of a 3 or 4 wire solenoid.:confused:

OK, 2 wire and 2 wire. I guess the other 2 wires were on the pressure switches on the valve body. But anyway, my BRF valve body had a total of 4 wires whereas the CRF had only 3. The car runs really good now!!!!!!!

Glad to here you got it Right.
I hate to here that about the TCI Tranny. I was lookin into buying one.
I just put my new engine back in and am also having the similar issue with my BRF Tranny. Trying to get the cable right and hope this is the issue. I agree that we should all go to those specific BRF experts and GN vendors for these trannies and parts but they too are not always perfect as I have experienced. Lets help to get the trannies right. Comments like "Cheaped Out" add no value to the thread.
There used to be a guy around Atlanta that was good on these trannies and it seems like his name was Sid. Anybody know of him? I remember he was very reasonable with his rebuild price and he was good. Can not hink of his last name.
Thanks
Tim