NEW - stock replacement USA headers in stainless!

Hey everybody, Nick and I spent this morning installing the first set of production stock replacement headers on my T-type to check fitment. All went very well and we finished within 4 hours without running into any major issues. The drivers side header slips right up into place and its easy to get a bolt started to hold it in place to put the rest in, and the bottom middle and bottom right bolts aren't hard to reach anymore. In all honesty there was zero frustration installing the drivers side header, unlike the stock one where it was near impossible to get the bottom rear bolt in or out from above. The passenger header also slips right in between the fender and the turbo and it as well has zero frustration installing the header bolts. Just make sure you either have a bolt through the header and gasket before putting them on so the gasket is lined up, or slot the bottom bolt holes in the gasket so you can drop it in from the top of the headers over the loose bottom bolts. However, the only issue we ran into was that there was interference between the crossover bracket/crossover flange on the passenger side header and the starter heat shield and assembly bracket. We had to remove the heat shield and assembly bracket to hook the crossover to the passenger header, otherwise everything fit like a charm. We're going to look into fixing this on the next run of headers. ;)

As far as performance gains, I didn't really notice much. The car felt peppier at some times (spooled quicker to where it surprised me), but just the same at others. If anything it feels like it may have a tad more torque in some instances now as I can feel the tires trying to break loose from an idle stop where it never did that before. So its tough to say as it's an on off thing until I get to drive the car a little bit more in less extreme temperatures (high was 109 today). It did feel like it would accelerate quicker/easier in overdrive on the freeway when I gave it some gas though. Usually it would lug down and eventually speed up, now it smoothly accelerates with increasing speed. BUT understand this car is BONE STOCK, it still has the original catalytic converter :D That, and we need to remember this is a stock replacement header. I can guarantee it performs just as well as the stock ones and perhaps better on a more built up car that can take better advantage of them :cool:

Hey everybody, Nick and I spent this morning installing the first set of production stock replacement headers on my T-type to check fitment. All went very well and we finished within 4 hours without running into any major issues. The drivers side header slips right up into place and its easy to get a bolt started to hold it in place to put the rest in, and the bottom middle and bottom right bolts aren't hard to reach anymore. In all honesty there was zero frustration installing the drivers side header, unlike the stock one where it was near impossible to get the bottom rear bolt in or out from above. The passenger header also slips right in between the fender and the turbo and it as well has zero frustration installing the header bolts. Just make sure you either have a bolt through the header and gasket before putting them on so the gasket is lined up, or slot the bottom bolt holes in the gasket so you can drop it in from the top of the headers over the loose bottom bolts. However, the only issue we ran into was that there was interference between the crossover bracket/crossover flange on the passenger side header and the starter heat shield and assembly bracket. We had to remove the heat shield and assembly bracket to hook the crossover to the passenger header, otherwise everything fit like a charm. We're going to look into fixing this on the next run of headers. ;)

As far as performance gains, I didn't really notice much. The car felt peppier at some times (spooled quicker to where it surprised me), but just the same at others. If anything it feels like it may have a tad more torque in some instances now as I can feel the tires trying to break loose from an idle stop where it never did that before. So its tough to say as it's an on off thing until I get to drive the car a little bit more in less extreme temperatures (high was 109 today). It did feel like it would accelerate quicker/easier in overdrive on the freeway when I gave it some gas though. Usually it would lug down and eventually speed up, now it smoothly accelerates with increasing speed. BUT understand this car is BONE STOCK, it still has the original catalytic converter :D That, and we need to remember this is a stock replacement header. I can guarantee it performs just as well as the stock ones and perhaps better on a more built up car that can take better advantage of them :cool:

I'm still curious on the stainless steel material. Can you confirm if its the same material used in original stock headers? I'm just curious what the difference is between these and the stock ones besides looks.

Pictures of the Passenger side, I'll get some of the drivers side as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 545
I just want to point out that these are "stock replacement" headers, so the are NOT exactly like stock. Fitment is excellent.

We did re-used some of the stock bolts around the AC brackets which simplified the installation. The lower "L" shaped AC brace needed to have the hole elongated due to the thicker flanges on the TA header over stock.

The driver's side header with the 3-in-one design should help flow, and certainly not have the cracking problem as the stock one did.

The TIG welds and overall construction just shows off its quality.

If we would have had the time, polishing these headers would really show them off!

I'm still curious on the stainless steel material. Can you confirm if its the same material used in original stock headers? I'm just curious what the difference is between these and the stock ones besides looks.

Nick,

Can you answer this previous question??? Would like to know! Also, is there any thought in maybe putting two slip on donut style gaskets for the crossover instead of making the "bulbs" on the headers? Just a thought. I thought that stock ones would oval over time?

...... Also, is there any thought in maybe putting two slip on donut style gaskets for the crossover instead of making the "bulbs" on the headers? Just a thought. I thought that stock ones would oval over time?

If the crossover areas are a concern, I suggest you consider the TA race headers which have stainless steel flanges and V band clamps for these connections.

One of the reasons they cost more to produce. :)

Out of curiosity, if you disregard price, how would one decide if they should purchase the stock replacement headers or the high performance headers? At what point do the performance headers really show a benefit?

Thanks, Dave

Hello all, I took our T-Type out to our local track today and made a few passes and set a new personal best of 14.42. My previous best was in the 14.90's and all that's changed on the car is the headers. I was able to get the car to hook and leave a little harder than before, but none the less the car is definitely faster.

Mike,

What was your previous best MPH and what is it now? I assume the MPH has gone up with the new headers, showing that the car is making more horsepower?

Thanks for making parts for our old 6 cylinder Buicks!!

Mike,

What was your previous best MPH and what is it now? I assume the MPH has gone up with the new headers, showing that the car is making more horsepower?

Thanks for making parts for our old 6 cylinder Buicks!!

I don't remember what the previous MPH was and I'm not sure where that time slip would be, it was over a year ago. I figure MPH is up as well, it felt like I crossed the finish line going faster. I definitely felt pushed back in the seat a bit more, but the ET shows that :D

I don't remember what the previous MPH was and I'm not sure where that time slip would be, it was over a year ago. I figure MPH is up as well, it felt like I crossed the finish line going faster. I definitely felt pushed back in the seat a bit more, but the ET shows that :D

i love these headers. definetly pulls and spools more

Do we have any performance numbers to share?

What about Brian and Otto stap them on a car and dyno it?

What about Brian and Otto stap them on a car and dyno it?

That is exactly what I am hoping to see. I suspect there is a nice improvement as these headers look awesome. I really wanted a lower price, but lets see how looks can also add power.

Mike

That is exactly what I am hoping to see. I suspect there is a nice improvement as these headers look awesome. I really wanted a lower price, but lets see how looks can also add power.

Mike

Mike, how many more posts are you going to make crying about the price?? If you are saying they should be lower in price then most definitely you should have a basis for that statement. Have you done some leg work and found a supplier of materials that is cheaper than TA is using, or found a way to build them in less time? If so, maybe they could lower their price if they can keep the costs down on their end if you can provide your source to them. :confused:

If you "just" can't afford them than you should spend a little more time at work getting more hours and a little less time in this thread so you can save up.... :biggrin: ;)

That is exactly what I am hoping to see. I suspect there is a nice improvement as these headers look awesome. I really wanted a lower price, but lets see how looks can also add power...Mike

You really need to leave your 70's thinking, and understand we are dealing with TURBO cars here which means header design, material and construction are MUCH different than a big V-8 with a carb. :eek:

TA and I have spent lots of hours in developing quality race and street headers that perform, fit properly, install easily and will last a long time.

You want cheap, buy the China junk with inferior material and workmanship, not to mention the terrible fit when they copy the design of others.

If you want cheap, I will sell you a China set taken off a customer's GN before it even was on the road. Pay the shipping and $100, will be happy to get them out of my scrap pile! :D

ArizonaGN does custom headers for many vehicles and they have proven to out perform headers costing many times as much as competitors products. This not not just talk, but dyno testing by independent shops on Mercedes, CTSV, BMW and others with custom turbos and superchargers. These headers are in the $2-3000 price range.

Also, ask Don Cruz whose headers he is now using which set a new MPH record. :cool:

The $699 price for stock replacement Buick turbo headers is a real bargain in todays market for what you receive - a tested product with quality material and workmanship, all done by the only company still developing quality Buick V-6 performance products for the community. :smile:

ArizonaGN does custom headers for many vehicles and they have proven to out perform headers costing many times as much as competitors products. This not not just talk, but dyno testing by independent shops on Mercedes, CTSV, BMW and others with custom turbos and superchargers. These headers are in the $2-3000 price range.
The $699 price for stock replacement Buick turbo headers is a real bargain in todays market for what you receive - a tested product with quality material and workmanship, all done by the only company still developing quality Buick V-6 performance products for the community. :smile:

Ok waiting for the turkey to finish cooking :biggrin: This is only my "opinion" so cut me some slack because I am old an as the expression goes "I've been there an done it" Oh.. Not as old as Nick BUT I am gaining on him :wink:
Bought a new Mustang Mach1 CJ new in ...well a long time ago before 75% of you guys were born an 5 months later we modified the car. I had a custom set of steel headers made for the car from "Tubular Automotive" (hey they are still open to !!) .. $3/350 from what I remember. Move ahead to 2000.. Had a set of 321 SS headers an 3.5 downpipe for my Stage 2 TTA. $3k would be considered a deal of your life. Hell even today take your car to Kooks in NY an see if they do it for cheap $$$. NOT goin to happen :p
... I remember when ATR sold headers. $1k an guys were crying !!! Then ATR went out of business. Guys that had used/new sets got outrageous $$$$ for them because no one else was making anything.
... Beamer.. just use the stockers (they def work) an just keep welding them together.:biggrin:
OH turkey just came out of the oven. Have to go an do a taste test :biggrin: Happy turkey day guys!!

Mike, how many more posts are you going to make crying about the price?? If you are saying they should be lower in price then most definitely you should have a basis for that statement. Have you done some leg work and found a supplier of materials that is cheaper than TA is using, or found a way to build them in less time? If so, maybe they could lower their price if they can keep the costs down on their end if you can provide your source to them. :confused:

If you "just" can't afford them than you should spend a little more time at work getting more hours and a little less time in this thread so you can save up.... :biggrin: ;)

Stop being a bitch about a comment. I was not crying - but just making a comment and hoping for positive information for results!

I don't appreciate your approach, as you havn't a clue about me or what I am able to do. I decide how I will spend my money and you will NEVER influence my decisions. For all I care, you can take one of these header pipes and ram it up your behind. That will still not influence me to or not to buy a set of these headers either. So, do it for your own enjoyment - not mine.

This board is here to help support the Buick community. My comment was in no way negative like you have taken it. I was only voicing my hopes that they would be more affordable to me and others. I am also asking the powers that have the ability to test side by side the difference with hopes to aid in the selling power of this product, especially to me.

All I am asking for here is NUMBERS. What do these headers do outside looks and hearsay? My post was positive feeding except the price comment.

Enjoy all,
Mike

You really need to leave your 70's thinking, and understand we are dealing with TURBO cars here which means header design, material and construction are MUCH different than a big V-8 with a carb. :eek:

TA and I have spent lots of hours in developing quality race and street headers that perform, fit properly, install easily and will last a long time.

You want cheap, buy the China junk with inferior material and workmanship, not to mention the terrible fit when they copy the design of others.

If you want cheap, I will sell you a China set taken off a customer's GN before it even was on the road. Pay the shipping and $100, will be happy to get them out of my scrap pile! :D

Also, ask Don Cruz whose headers he is now using which set a new MPH record. :cool:

Nick,

I do not intend to question your knowledge, but whether we are talking about turbo cars or V8's with rochesters on them - header design matters. I have no doubt that you and TA have spent a lot of time with the design of these headers. What is wrong with asking that we get some numbers out here published for all to see how great these nice looking headers do in the real world? I am thinking it will help a lot with people realizing what they will get when changing out from stock.

As for the price... There was comments that came from TA in the beginning that these would be around tha $500 range. Then Mike came out and said that the price had to be raised to $799 due to using stainless. Now you say $699. The price is not outrageous, but I know a lot of people were hoping the "affordible" range of $500 would be the area we would end up at. That was the sole purpose of my comment that I was hoping for a lower price.

I appreciate the iniative of those businesses out there that continue to create performance products for our cars, as the Buick name alone does not get what we deserve.

Good luck on this product and I hope they end up being the hit you were looking for.

Mike

Ok waiting for the turkey to finish cooking :biggrin: This is only my "opinion" so cut me some slack because I am old an as the expression goes "I've been there an done it" Oh.. Not as old as Nick BUT I am gaining on him :wink:
Bought a new Mustang Mach1 CJ new in ...well a long time ago before 75% of you guys were born an 5 months later we modified the car. I had a custom set of steel headers made for the car from "Tubular Automotive" (hey they are still open to !!) .. $3/350 from what I remember. Move ahead to 2000.. Had a set of 321 SS headers an 3.5 downpipe for my Stage 2 TTA. $3k would be considered a deal of your life. Hell even today take your car to Kooks in NY an see if they do it for cheap $$$. NOT goin to happen :p
... I remember when ATR sold headers. $1k an guys were crying !!! Then ATR went out of business. Guys that had used/new sets got outrageous $$$$ for them because no one else was making anything.
... Beamer.. just use the stockers (they def work) an just keep welding them together.:biggrin:
OH turkey just came out of the oven. Have to go an do a taste test :biggrin: Happy turkey day guys!!

Thanks Grumpy for your comments. I understand that there are way more expensive applications out there that people are more than willing to spend on.

You are right, the stock headers do work well. If you weld them correctly - they work for a long time.

Mike