New fuel pump installed with hotwire kit, Car cranks but won't start

george harris

Hello I installed a fuel pump with hotwire kit today. Once I completed every thing I went to start the car I could here the pump come on, but it would not start. I noticed I did not have any fuel pressure. I am new at this so any help will would be appreciated......

Drop the tank and pull the pump, make sure it was installed correctly, no need to jump the pump with 12 volts if you hear it run.

I had a problem with my walbro 255 not priming, dropped the tank checked polarity all was good so I ended up getting it primed with the tank down...Mike

I had a problem with my walbro 255 not priming, dropped the tank checked polarity all was good so I ended up getting it primed with the tank down...Mike
Once I get off I am going to drop the tank and check the polarity and hopefully it will be working after that.....

One think to do when changing pumps At least I like to do. I'll attack my drain hose to the fuel rail and jump the pump until the fuel flows out and close her back up before I go to start the motor.

I think the same thing is happening with my car. I have a hot wire kit installed on the car already and just bought a new fuel sending unit from racetonix since i found mine had a broken return line tube at the base when upgrading my fuel pump to a welbro 340. the pump comes on and shuts off with no gas coming out.

any thoughts???

Turn the key off and hit it again. The ECM only runs the pump a short while before it sees the engine bust off.

If you don't have pressure at the rail, you'd have to crank it until the oil pump came up then turned the pump on, and then wait how ever long it takes to burp the lines and build pressure.

How can the polarity be reversed? Aren't all of the connections plug and play?

Turn the key off and hit it again. The ECM only runs the pump a short while before it sees the engine bust off.

If you don't have pressure at the rail, you'd have to crank it until the oil pump came up then turned the pump on, and then wait how ever long it takes to burp the lines and build pressure.

I tried starting the car and letting it prime. i tried it over and over, but still nothing.

cycling the key is what primes the fuel system after it's been opened. The ECM won't turn the pump back on until it sees the engine start up.

I've installed 2 Walbro's from Racetronix and both cooked within a few days. After cutting them both open found the pickup side of the pump fried. Neither one was ever ran dry and both primed instantly. Ordered one from a local speed shop and been running hard since. not trying to say they are knock offs but is what it is. I put mine in a mason jar and could see fluid being disturbed around the pickup with no output.

I've installed 2 Walbro's from Racetronix and both cooked within a few days. After cutting them both open found the pickup side of the pump fried. Neither one was ever ran dry and both primed instantly. Ordered one from a local speed shop and been running hard since. not trying to say they are knock offs but is what it is. I put mine in a mason jar and could see fluid being disturbed around the pickup with no output.

I bought the pump from a buddy of mine and was working when he upgraded to a double pumper. did u use the standard wiring connections when you installed the walbro pump to the racetonix fuel sending unit?

Honestly its been so long ago I can't remember. Although it sucks you just installed I would drop the tank again and play around with it for a bit. As long as its been immersed in fluid you should be fine. Double check polarity and keep it in fuel. Running one dry for a few seconds can smoke it..........I know!

For sure,the last 3 I cut open were melted where the gear drive seals against the high pressure output side. The shaft will spin but the pump can't direct it correctly. 2 of them were in Buicks and one was a fox body. Used a large pipe cutter to desperate the housing. Hope all of this helps.