new build with some problems

87_we4

turbo tom
alright i just got my motor back from the machine shop. bored .020 over comp cam 210/215, harland shap rollers, morrel roller lifters, new water pump, new oil pump,42# injectors, 59mm turbo,TT chip burnt for this set up,scanmaster,so on so on.. problem is the only way it will start is if you pump the gas pedel while cranking it. cam sensor was set with caspers cas tool. once the car starts id idles really ruff and if you put it in gear it dies.anyone have any ideas? i can get scan info tomorrow. car always started right up befor the rebuild... any help would be great

any codes from ScanMaster?

you should post the SM readings you get at idle

Do you have a fuel pressure guage?

No codes from scanmaster. Fuel pressure is 43psi with Vac off. I'll post readings later

Check the MAF for proper electrical connection, and the hose(s) between it and the turbo. That's what it sounds like to me, too. Are you running a translator? if so, it may be hooked up/switched wrong.

It's a stock replacement maf. It's idling a bit better now still not right. It's only reading about 7 in hg of vacuum at idle

I had a caspers cam sensor cap once that was bad. Car ran rough but if i loosened up the cap screws it ran better. I put on the original cap and it ran fine.

Just a thought.

D

i cleaned the maf with maf cleaner car runs a bit better but still has a ruff idle.. my scanmaster shows my maf is 4 with the key on not running. i still havent hooked my laptop up to it the recored all the info

Any chance EGR valve is leaking or other intake related leak causing a very lean condition?, just a thought and might be worth a check, good luck.

Kevin.

connections

I am sure you already did but be sure to double check all your connections. I had a similar thing once that turned out to be crank sensor connection. Hope it is as simple for you. Good Luck.

ok so i put on a lt1 maf and translator and re adjusted my valves and i have 12in hg of vacuum now. i was driving it today and got on it in first shifted at 5600 rpm then in second the rpm climmed fine till 5000 then had no power to climb any higher. anyone have any ideas also my car has no low end power wont even break torque.. i need to get my stall put in maybe that will help?

12 in isn't enough vacuum. I would seriously consider figuring out what's wrone with your setup before you go getting on it too much. Maybe find someone local to you that can take a look at it with you.

I agree, don't lean on it until you get the basics figured out. I have 16-17 in vacuum at idle for reference.

ok tonight i warmed the car up then readjustd the valves i have 16in hg of vacuum now idling in park at 850rpm. but now the car is stumbling it every gear. gonna do a boost leak test tomorrow if i get time and see if i have any leaks. this should be a 11 sec car and it feels like a dog compared to my turbo'd 240 that ran high 12 sec

is gonna be a dog until you get it running right and tune it. It's not a throw it together and run 11's deal. It takes time.